Bolt splits in 9.58

anyone else more impressed that gay at 5,10 ish ran 0.81 rather then bolts .80 for a smaller guy that impresses me bucket loads

I’m not sure what system they used to take the splits, but differences of 0.01s or even more can be caused by changes in torso and shoulder positions. If they used split beams it’s even possible that they were triggered by hand movements.

the LAVEG system that gave the velocities and 10m splits is a narrow beam laser that they would have focused on the mid back region (from behind) or chest (from the front). it measures instant and continuous velocity. it is accurate enough to show the break and response from each individual touchdown (the wave-like blue line) which is why they average out the graph (the red line on the link that Sev put up).

I suggest AP is transferring his balance too early

Now I can see why Charlie uses the 60m dash time as an indicator during indoor season.

realistically, I don’t think Powell has shut down any more or less than either Bolt or Gay. Bolt has probably shut down more often in the past two seasons than Powell has combined for his career minus preliminary runs.

Powells new found “ineffiecient” start has caused the rest of his race to suffer. He’s almost speed skating in his races, and it’s even visibly apparent that his left leg is failing him when he’s up to speed. Either failing him or he’s compensating for it.

could you explain to me about this 60m indicator during the indoor season please 100m001 or charlie?

there are many tables around and since most people have already reached top speed by 60m, the rest is SE up to a point.
For example 6.48 to 6.50 usually indicated 9.90 to 9.95 and so on. For Ben we saw 6.33 and 9.79 while shutting down- prob enough for 9.71 to 9.73 depending on the runner. For Bolt, we’ve seen 6.31 and 9.58, BUT Bolt contnued to increase speed past 60m.

I see thank you. So for example I ran 7.42 indoors in january and finished this season with 11.57 pb so this could indicate I needed more speed endurance in my training?

11.57 is worth more than 7.42, but at your level you are probably progressing too fast for your indoor results to have much predictive value for your outdoor season.

I don’t think the LAVEG gave these times. There is a LAVEG output on the IAAF site and the splits are slightly different for Bolt and Powell than the ones on here, so it is possible that if Gay’s splits were taken from video that they are not entirely accurate, which would explain the last three 10m splits.

http://berlin.iaaf.org/mm/Document/Development/Research/05/31/54/20090817073528_httppostedfile_Analysis100mMenFinal_Bolt_13666.pdf

I was wondering the other day about the fluctuations between strides in the LAVEG charts. What does this say about Barry Ross’s theory that sprinters ONLY produce vertical force at top speed? If an athlete is decelerating then reaccelerating with each stride as shown by the output, doesn’t this strongly infer that horizontal forces are present?

If horizontal forces were absent, how would you go forward??

My question goes to the finish. When he was WR holder, everyone was saying his incomplete extension as the race progresses was the reason for his success. Now that he is matched and then passed late in the race by two athletes with complete extension, is there a change of opinion?

I am the only one that thinks that the drive phase thing might be hampering Bolt’s times? Given that he has sick SE capabilities he could really avoid any drive at all and go pedal to the metal from the start.

In a vacuum, momentum built up during the acceleration phase … I think that’s the theory.

That’s just an expression really. Are you actually suggesting that Bolt is going below max at some point? If so where and how do the splits validate that?

I actually remember that he said in an interview he deliberately remained “low” until 40-50m, where he tried to run fully upright. Will try to find the text. I don’t really think his effort is submax, but that because of the angles he might be using during the acceleration his initial times could be bellow of what he is capable of. In fact most of the people actually accelerate faster off no drive phase and hit max v sooner.

I’ve looked at the films and I think his execution is about as good as it gets in the big finals IMO. Sometimes he pops up in less than optimal races so I don’t see how that would ever help him.

So where do you see his future improvement coming?

Just more of the same pattern coming from whatever marginal gains in strength he can balance with his total workload. My guess would be those gains would be slightly easier to get 0 to 60 than beyond- if you can describe anything at that level as easy.