Sprint methods

What´s the difference between these workouts? What´s the desired effect of each of them??
3x3x30 or 9x30?

You need to post your question in the beginner forum.

I would speculate that the first workout would allow a higher level of intensity and performance on the workout as a whole due to it being broken into 3 sets. The second option would probably fatigue you more and be of less quality. Seems like the first workout may be a progression of the second one.

It depends on the rest intervals. If there are long rest intervals and recovery is complete, probably no difference. If the recovery intervals are short and recovery incomplete, then the accel session becomes more of an RSA workout geared more to endurance, with the 9 x 30 being an advanced version of the 3 x 3 x 30.

As with any workout (on the track or in the weight room), it depends on the intent and desired outcome, as well as the time of the year (point in your training progression).

As others have mentioned, your prescribed intensity and rest intervals will determine the effect of the training session.

Breakdowns can be as follows:

3 x 30 at 90% with 2 min recoveries
4 min set break
3 x 30 at 95% with 3 min recoveries
5 min set break
3 x 30 at 100% with 4-5 min recoveries

It may also depend on your start method (i.e. standing start, 3-point start, block start, push-up start), as more intense start positions will require greater recovery periods.

A higher intensity (i.e. higher velocity) workout would be as follows:

3 x 30m at 100% with 6 min recoveries
8 min set break
3 x 30m at 100% with 6-7 min recoveries
8-10 min set break
3 x 30m at 100% with 6-8 min recoveries

However, you may modify recovery periods if the stopwatch shows you are not maintaining quality (i.e. opening up the recoveries periods to maintain quality). Or, you may simply stop the workout if the times are getting slower over each rep (or you see a technical breakdown).

This is where someone of Charlie’s technical expertise and experience excels at coaching. Knowing when to increase the recovery period, changing the work or stopping the workout.

Alternatively, you can do 9 x 30 with a walk-back recovery at 80-85% - but it would not be considered a speed workout. This may be something you do with an athlete who is recovering from injury and you are trying to build up work capacity over short distances. At a lower intensity, it may be a tempo workout for a 300lb offensive lineman in football.

What about doing 9x30m with full recover and 3x3x30 also with full recover between reps and sets? The result will be the same doesn´t it?
PS: What´s the best full recover time for 9x30m?

It depends on…

• Level of the athlete. Slower athletes will need less recovery. Elite athletes will need more.
  • Weather, temperature - is it hot, then you can take more time. If it is cold outside, take less recovery.
  • What the stopwatch tells you. If the times are getting worse, open up the recoveries or stop the workout. This is the most important element to observe and respond to.

ok but yet I don´t understand why some coaches prefere to prescribe 3x3x90 and not 9x30? With full rest between reps and sets of both mehtos aren´t them supose to work the same direction(acceleration phase of the sprinter)?
Other doubt is… Is there any guidelines to work speed with a group? Because with groups we can´t manage to measure each athletes time.

Guidelines are all based on recovery times. Like ‘NumberTwo’ said, slower athletes will need less, elite will need more. Keep an eye on the stopwatch and check for any visible decreases in time. Decreases in time mean you are probably experiencing some muscular acidosis, so an increase in recovery time here will ensure you are still targeting the alactic system.