Coaches in Texas?

If you run 10.2 they will help. I wouldn’t spend my time helping some guy who runs 11.0 either unless he was fam.

RB i think you are talking total BS. i know the above are willing to help even if your not top drawer level…highly approachable people

X are they doing any seminars this year?

as far as i know tom still does a few seminars at nearly the age of 80!!

I notice most of the better coaches will help and teach just about anyone. You may not get the attention of the 10.0 guy but they will help, teach and instruct. Charlie, Tellez, JS has non world class people in his group, Franno has non world class in his group of 80.

Is anyone seriously interested if they are doing seminars? That’s something I wouldn’t want to miss. I can give them a call and see what the story is.

T

I guess when they really love what they do… It’s never really work. Plus the fact that are not looking to build their reputation by attaching themselves to a big name athlete… We’ve all seen the Ben Johnson coat tail riding bottom feeding A-holes who need to do stuff like that… Pretty pathetic.

Maybe your talking total BS… READ “spdydre” post before you go talking shit… I know several 10.3-10.5 runners who already tried talking to the U of H staff. Who cares what the U of H staff is doing, go talk to Mark Guthrie he does wayyyy more with wayyy less.

LOL, I know several so “call” top coaches won’t even talk to you unless your 10.3, they may even laugh in your face. Go buy Charlie products and hook up with Derek for some technical sessions.

They’ll talk to you… if you’re a high powered earner that can pay them $1,000 /week.

Exactly right. They laugh at you when you come for a free hand out. Charlie would train and even take you into his house but that was not free. It shouldn’t be either. Even the local coaches in NYC who dont know shit wont train anyone for free…

So back to the original question, I spoke to Frank as recommended by Ku2u and he sounds like a good guy. He asked me to send him a detailed email which includes a list of my short / long term goals. I’ll then meet up with him when I arrive in Austin. Sounds good so far!

I checked the University of Houston athletics page, and they have a couple of affordable Monday to Thursday camps for elementary / high school athletes, but nothing else is mentioned. I will give the contact person a call, it never hurts to break some balls!

RB34,please keep the forum tidy…you wouldn’t speak like this when charlie was here and you certainly won’t start doing it now.

i know from expereience what these guys do

Let me see, Charlie resume is much better. :wink:

Forget UofH, go see the guy Ku2u recommended or http://www.hootontraining.com/staff.html

I have heard hooton is good.

Why don’t you like UofH training wise if they would talkto you, from everything I have seen they use Tellez exact yearly program.

Tom is retired has been for years. Still assists out volunteer wise at UH but mainly coaches a few of his own athletes a couple of times a week during the week. On wknds he is out on his ranch the guy is 77yrs old and if you are at the track when he is around you won’t need to approach him because he will run over and help you out. The guy would help a 3yr to a 100yr old athlete. You won’t find a more passionate and knowledgable guy across all the events…humble and with no ego. Even if you don’t train with him and you see him around go say hello and chat you might be surprised.

What exactly do those top coaches have to offer to an athlete exactly? I mean putting the technical stuff aside, what else can a coach offer in a couple weeks?
I can see a coach making a periodized program for an athlete he’s working with over a long term, but shouldnt someone be able to do that after gaining some good knowledge?

X-Man is the expert.

You pay for what you get, weekend coach who works for a living or a full time coach who doesn’t have a second job.