Periodization discussion

I’ve recently published two discussions on periodization on my blog. So if anyone is interested here are the links. Critiques, discussions and recommendations are welcomed.

Periodization Confusion

Analysis of Reactive Training System

well done!

Very interesting and I really enjoy reading your blog.

I think it would be fascinating to look at these different systems and what a typical week/microcycle might look like with each as one moves through an annual plan. Assume a certain level of performance and no major health issues. You could start in September and go until June or August if it’s an international level athlete.

Just a thought…

Thanks guys. I will try to provide a cookie-cutter program for soccer 8-weeks in next couple of days as an example.

How about for a short sprinter?

Not an implication here but sometimes I think there is a negative connotation associated with cookie cutter. I’d take a very well designed cookie cutter program over an mediocre individualized program.

That’s true. Cookie cutter has a bad connotation. Yet, if it used as an example only…
Hardly for short sprint… I don’t have any experience in that area. Team sports, some, but sprints none

just my poor opinion… in football world, sprint training is overrated!

Vabo74
It’s a difficult fact to ignore that many top football players were highly competive track athletes in the throws, jumps and or sprints.
Not to say you spend all your time sprinting.
Perhaps we might entice you to study the information a little bit more closely.
Happy New Year where ever you are.
AC

Are we talking about soccer or American football?

sorry, for “football” sport, i mean soccer and not american football!
in Europe, players have a short time of preparation with the first friendly match after 5-7 days after the start of that!

That’s not short, that’s like tomorrow! :slight_smile: Of course, the preparation period in soccer is short, but perhaps this is an extra reason to focus on all those elements you have no time to during the season. Including acceleration/speed.

I don’t know your situation, but here no one is doing ‘sprint training’ (or speed training) in real meaning of the word - high intensity effort (95%+) and long rests (at least 1min/10meters between resp and 2-3x longer between sets).
So, I think it is under-rated here.
Do I agree it is hard to develop it in so much dense comp schedule? Yes, I do. Is it important to be developed. Yes, it is (from physical prep standpoint). Do you need to do sprint training to develop speed ONLY? No, you don’t. There are tons of more specific tasks that develop it, along with some technical/tactical element.

it’s important but difficult!
in Italy, 2 months ago we see (on a famous sport newspaper) a topic about preparation and the different beetween us and spanish.

Vabo, that article is a complete waste of paper. Do you think you can acquire “strength” by kicking the ball 40 times? I mean, usable strenght with some sort of carry-over to other football activities?

I happened to watch Barcelona a few days ago. Athletically, they are amazing. So, the statemente usually proposed is “Technique has a to go back having a primary importance”, well, if you run (fast) like Pedro, Messi and the good company is def better. Journalist and such tend to confuse muscular volume with athletic abilities.

The main problem is consistency, with a common problem being represented by the continuous changes of coaches and consequently of S&C coaches. More specific tasks to develop speed? To develop fitness yes, to develop speed, no.

of course no and i had the same opionions of yours abouts these articles (in a discussion with my brother).
but for me, when you play 2 times per week, 11 month in a year, it is almost impossible to train for speed, agility and RSA without a raise in injury probability!

of course, it is silly a discussion of strength training if we talk about leg ext for improving kicking power…

Are you suggesting 1 minute of rest between reps of 10 meter sprints?

Strength Coach Mike Boyle recently suggested resting about 18 seconds in between reps of 10’s. Isn’t that a little short?

I know that 1 min. per 10m is considered to be the standard but I usually start the training year with less than that and progress over the weeks to 1 min. per 10m and eventually beyond.

I’m guessing Duxx meant 1 min per 10m and not just 10m distance only. There is a BIG difference between resting 3 minutes after 30m and the 54 seconds Strength Coach Mike Boyle suggests let alone 6 mins over 60m versus 74 seconds.

What Pioneer suggests is common.

Sprint training is NEVER over-rated! Benitez is (but I am no “journalist”…).

I believe part of the problem (or most of the problem) is that there are very few trainers out there that actually have the knowledge (and experience) to implement a speed/sprint training program effectively.