Mike Barwis - "Barwis Methods"

Highlander

I’m not trying to defend all college S&C coaches, but you specifically mentioned in season workouts that were only 2 mnutes in length, 2x a week.
While I’m sure there might be a better way to do things, many football coaches are completely oblivious to the physical demands of their own sport, as James points out so often. There are quite a number of S&C college coaches who have absolutely no say in the amount of time that they get with the athletes, particularly in season.
When you factor in the NCAA’s 20 hour rule, and in-house compliance people that can’t wait to self report the football program, I can see how some S&C coaches may only get 20 minutes of actual strength training 2x week in season.
Just food for thought…

Oh I totally understand that there may only be 20 min twice a week expecially in college but it was a nfl strength coach who said that. Thats what kinda amazes me. Granted it was in season but I know for a fact that other teams do way more than just 20 min twice a week.

How much more time do you need?

Mon: Main strength training session (block cleans, squats, bench press, pullups, hyper complex)

Wed: Secondary strength training session (block snatch, db floor press, db row, arm/shoulder circuit)

Can’t forget the head sport coaches role in what goes down, especially in football.

I know of 2 NFL teams who’s head coach has say about what the S&C does. I’m sure same in many colleges

Ok not to start a arguement but you cannot be serious about us being jealous of barwis. My partners and I know athletes who train under this fool and trust me none of them cant stand his workouts. Unfortunately alot of strength coaches get there position by the who you know system. I understand thats how the world works but still S&C is pretty much common sense and yeah this fool has none! His system has gotten more kids hurt more than ever at the beloved U of Mich. I spoke to Mike Gittelson privately a few weeks ago and he even admitted that he was a moron under his breathe. This is coming from a man who has a nice pension coming from U of M and is working for Rodgers equipment going across the country given speeches.

What if they win the Big 10 this year?

Cause Tate Forcier is a God! :smiley:

RB
Yes, I too keep it simple with usually less than 5-6 exercises in season. However, the list of exercises you posted allows for only 4 minutes each per exercise. In 20 minutes of time, an athlete would have to do an extremely fast circuit-style lift, and that doesn’t even account for a warm up. In our weight room set up, I need more time than 20 minutes…I personally prefer longer rest intervals between sets, but there’s many ways to accomplish things. If you put a gun to my head, I’d like 45 minutes for each athlete;)

I’m certain of how I consider a coach to be qualified, or not, and to what degree, even amidst the complexity of team sport preparation and all the factors that determine the outcome of game day.

Regarding the physical preparation coach, these are the factors which must, in my view, be judged as they are common to all coaches regardless of what level they coach at and any other conceivable factors, with the caveats that the player does not participate in any other sports and remains under the coaches supervision during the off-season:

• how healthy do the players remain during the off-season and what are the nature of the injuries, if any
  • how does the coach rationalize their training program, as well as the player’s improved physical condition, in relation to the biodynamic and bioenergetic structure of the player’s positional demands within the tactical and philosophical structure of their respective coordinators
  • to what degree is the training individualized and how
  • how is the the training monitored
  • how is workload vs recovery managed and accounted for in the program
  • what is the coaches understanding of the training effect, and related stress, of the means they integrate into the program
  • regarding ‘testing’, to what degree does the test activity/activities dynamically correspond to the positional-tactical-philosophical biodynamc/bioenegetic structure

It is a mistake to form a direct correlation between wins and losses and the qualification level of the physical preparation coach because there are highly qualified physical preparation coaches who have endured losing seasons and absolutely incompetent, in my view, physical preparation coaches who have been part of championships.

The win/loss columns are affected by a great deal of factors outside of the control of the physical preparation coach; however, the criteria I outlined above are not.

I agree with everything you are saying, remember my loads are lighter which will allow for less rest time between sets.

Block cleans 4x3x75%
Squats+hyper complex 3x2x70%+3x8
Bench press+Pullups 3x3x75%+3x8

OR:
Block cleans
Squats+Bench press
Hyper complex+Pullups

The only way they win the big ten is if ohio state, penn state, wisconsin, Iowa, and michigan state all go the big east or conference usa

Don’t be surprise, with another class coming into the big house I wouldn’t be surprise if Michigan is near the top (osu, iowa, michigan)…

Forcier suck, they should play the other qb. Did they bring in more qb’s this year?

I was being sarcastic of course!

One QB recruit was in one of the all-star games. I think an injury caused him to play poorly last part of season. 6"5, athletic as heck, and can throw and run well. Who knows, he may end up play WR.

Exactly. So if they win it will be despite Barwis and because of recruiting.

Have you ever coached or played at the NCAA level? It’s a team effort on all levels, even teams with shitty SC’s are still important because something is better then nothing.

Everyone does something…so, even shitty S&C can be a part of a success…but still suck.

What are you smokin? Your lucky if they win 6 or 7 games. Granted Rich rod is under a big contract so what may happen is they may buy him out. At 1 of the local high schools the head coaches dad works for him and once again under his breath he called the head coach a prick. He really hated dufus (barwis), same thing.

I have played at the NCAA level, recently. I have experienced first hand, a team and players succeeding and overcoming many negatives (not necessarily S+C) to win games.

everyone understands that Barwis’ methods are questionable. I find his rambling diatribe of explanations about his program humorous. He throws every term in athletic prep into one sentence. I think he over trains his athletes, plain and simple. On a positive note, he gets the players to buy into his “way”. Do I think Barwis had something to do with the bad seasons. Yes, because he tried to bring a mentality to the Big Ten that doesn’t work. Your guys can be beyond fit, but when they meet up with bigger stronger linemen, they get abused. Now he is rethinking having all his lineman be “flat bellies”. I am not espousing slobs like Gilbert Brown, but sheer mass can be difficult for the strongest, most fit player. We will se what Michigan puts on the field. This is put up or shut up season. If anyone thinks Devin Gardener is better than Forcier, your crazy. I saw the kid play 4 times in high school, and he always looked terrible. He eats up weak competition, but looks ordinary against good, disciplined teams. He is a poor mans Terrell Pryor. Actually, one of my kids laid him out in the playoffs. Gardener and Denard need to play other spots. It will be a major over haul trying to fix his crappy throwing mechanics. Need to be accurate passer for RR’s offense to work.