Intensive Tempo

Yes, InT is very detrimental to sprint technique when mis-applied, as it is in most case. So the typical 500-400-300-200, 6x300, 8x200 all in the 80-89% range tends to make the athlete sit and shuffle in order to survive, much a like a middle distance athlete. This is why these programs have such high rates of injury, IMO, as hen it comes time to sprint the change in hamstring activity is profound and often dramatic (traumatic?).

A split 600m, either 300+300, or 200+200+200 with 2min breaks gives very much the same affect as the session above, but running form is much easier to maintain, at least in my experience. It also flows more smoothly into SE, as the overall distance gets shorter and the intensities rise.

Another approach would be to do something like 200-250-200 with 3min breaks. The duration and density are short enough for form to be maintained.

I don’t think that this type of work is as bad as some may say as long as you don’t ruin the good technical work done on other days. I do agree though that no more than 1 day a week should be devoted to it and that overall number of sessions should not exceed 6 for a single periodized year.

So are you saying no more then 6 int tempo session per season? Do you have your short sprinters performing int tempo in gpp?

4min for an easy 250m walk? A brisk 200m walk takes @2min+ or minus a few seconds at least for nearly everyone I coach. If I said slow walk around to my athletes they’d take at least 5min and I fear more like 6min.

As an aside I coached a female 400m hurdler who’s father made her jog ALL of her recovery distances. How did she survive? She developed a jog so slow that when I would walk next to her, I would have to slow down or stop. This was in warm-up. I soon took the jogging out of that too. Oh and she had horrible hamstring issues which almost ended her career.

I am not a fan of any type of jog recoveries, btw. They’re often used with InT, and compound poor running form with REALLY bad foot contacts in the same session.

Yes in a single periodized year, no more than 6, all in the fall, likely one day a week.

My short sprinters do a little InT, but mostly as a bridge to SE. I had one do a 150-200-150 (x2) session @6 times in the 06-7 season and she PR’d in the 100, 200 and 400. Her smallest increase was in the 100, but she wasn’t really very talented. In high school she did all the traditional InT stuff and had a 400m PB in 63.8. Doing this she ran 59.7. She was actually quite surprised.

Also, if I saw a breakdown of any sort, I shut the session down.

If you were using spilt 60’s in spp as your SE work would you still use the int tempo as bridge to SE?

Look at the net result of a session to ascertain it’s value. If it makes them fit, OK, but at what cost? Will their form break down to such a degree that losses occur in MaxVel.

300+300 or 200+200+200 will give you controlled speed without the form technical lapses. It has shot and then longer recoveries and if administered properly, should wreck technique.

You’ve hit the nail on the head with the 5-6x200m session at 90% with 2-3min recoveries. There are athletes who will gut this out, but at what cost? Looked at specifically, for a 24.00 female 200m runner, those are being run at 26.6. That’s faster than her “come home time” for a 400.

Way to many US college programs are still Darwinian (ie: survival of the fittest). Talented people can overcome much more severe training in most cases.

Tough to say. I’ve never done an S-to-L program at least in a pure sense. I’ll leave that answer to those who have.

Would you mind listing a sample template of gpp training for short sprinters, I am curious since you don’t follow a pure s-l?

I completely agree. I am however including a bit more intensive tempo, but I guess it is more of “controlled speed work” than traditional intensive tempo.

Example, intensive tempo 80s with walk back rest between reps, 5-7 minutes between sets. This is done on grass and is a lead into eventually doing split rep 60s. The 80s are intensive tempo pace (~90%) and there is fatigue towards the end of a workout (3x3-4x80m), but form is quite good throughout because of the short distances and the like. Keep in mind I am the type of person who responds very poorly to things like 6-8x200 @ 85-90% with short rests.

It varies a bit from year to year based primarily on the capacity of the people that I coach. I’ll post something later tonight, but it will be a hybrid program.

I don’t have a problem with int tempo 80’s but I feel 150’s are the sweet distance mainly because they don’t cause a lot of fatigue and allows the athlete to really open up there stride etc with the 80’s by the time the athlete comes upright its already time to shut it down.

Does anyone really respond well to 8x200m in the 85% range? It is my supposition that some people simply adapt to that stress a little better than others.

To me at least, speed is just that speed. Once should always be under control, but at 95%+ of max. for distance less than 60m, usually more like 30m.

The way that you outline the 80m session, it looks more like running a broken 240 or 320. In that way, yes, you can keep good technique if the focus is there. With distances that short, the breaks should be very sort IMO.

Here’s VERY rough layout of what I would have a 100/200 athlete do:

Mo: Hills+Jumps (short)+Med Ball Throws
Tu: (am) Weights (pm) ExT
We: ExT -> InT (usually split runs)
Th: Off or Pool or ExT (bike)
Fr: (am) Weights (pm) Hills+Med ball Throws
Sa: Jump/Run Circuit

This is the structure for the all of the sprinters + hurdlers. The loading of the components is adjusted based on the event. For example long sprinters/hurdlers do more ExT. I know that Charlie wouldn’t agree with the weights placement, but our weight room is taken by other teams in the afternoon for most of the fall (GPP). So I had to adjust. Plus the whole team lifts together this way, which is not only good for group cohesion, but also means that at least 2 if not 3 coaches are watching when they lift. As the intensity rises late in SPP we are able to use the weight room in the late afternoon and there is some shifting of components.

Thanks!! So on Wed the runs start out as ext tempo then progress to int tempo? Is the int tempo work done on grass or track and do you prefer the shorter int tempo (split runs) runs mention earlier?

Actually there’s quite a bit more ExT at the start. I just didn’t want to give the impression that I make them jump right into InT/Split runs. All of the early stuff of this type is done in flats, but on the track. Not enough grass where I am. Tuesday is generally the big circuit, sometimes a bit more for the long sprinters/hurdlers, on a soccer pitch, runs as shuttles.

Oh and whatever you do, don’t take this as gospel. Each situation is different and if i were in a different location with different athletes I would more than likely do things another way (and have).

Kool, I actually like performing tempo on the track at times and never had a problem with lower leg injuries etc. You don’t have access to the football field?

Once the runs start moving above 80% it gets hard to do them on grass. There are very few fields that I know of that can accommodate a split 600m without making for some tight turning, which in turn leads to the possibility of another series of leg issues.

We have access to a soccer pitch Mon-Thu, but it’s condition drops dramatically as the season progresses. Saturdays and some Fridays we can get on the baseball field which is huge (400m around). The grass tends to be better kept there.

AC,

You’ve hit the nail on the head with the 5-6x200m session at 90% with 2-3min recoveries. There are athletes who will gut this out, but at what cost?

Exactly. If I may say, I give my athletes 5-6x200m with 2-3min. recovery ONLY on tempo days but never @90%

C. Hart uses something like this;

10x200m @ 30 sec with 2.5 - 3min recovery
9x200 @ 29sec. etc. down to 5x200m @ 25sec. with breaks anywhere from 3min. down to 1.5-2min. over 6 week period.

This is my template for SPP1 week 1

MONDAY
Warm up
Stretching
Drills
2x30m accelerations
3x4x60m 2.5/7min
4x30
4x30m lunges
PLYOS [bounds]
WEIGHTS:
Bench press 4x4
Lat puldowns 4x8

TUESDAY
Warm up
Stretching
16x200m @70% 3min
Medicine ball 6x10
PLYO - Sand pit
up to 20 jumps in total
6x 30 sit ups
6x25 leg lifts
4x25 hyper-extensions
cool down 2 laps

WEDNESDAY
Stretching 30min
1000 crunches
200 push ups

THURSDAY
Warm up
Stretching
Drills
4x30m 3-5min
4x30 blocks 3min.
2x[3x[20E/20F/20E]]
PLYOS [bounds, hops]
WEIGHTS:
Squats 4x4
Leg press 4x4
6x 30 sit ups
6x30 push ups
15min skipping rope

FRIDAY
Stretching 30min
1000 crunches
200 push ups

SATURDAY
Warm up
Stretching
Drills
2x200m 10min.
1x80m
1x100m
1x120m
Medicine ball 6x10
WEIGHTS:
Dead lifts 4x4
Dead lift roll outs
Hyperextentions 4x25
Seated rows 4x4
Cool down 2 laps

In WEEK 8 we do;

MONDAY
Warm up
Stretching
Drills
2x30m accelerations
2x100m 5.5/7min
4x60
4x30m lunges
PLYOS [bounds]
WEIGHTS:
Bench press 4x4
Biceps, triceps 4x12

TUESDAY

Warm up
Stretching
9x200m @70% 2min
Medicine ball 6x10
PLYO - Sand pit
up to 20 jumps in total
6x 30 sit ups
6x25 leg lifts
4x25 hyperextensions
cool down 2 laps

WEDNESDAY
Stretching 30min
1000 crunches
200 push ups

THURSDAY
Warm up
Stretching
Drills
4x30m 3-5min
4x30 blocks 3min.
4x150m 7min.
PLYOS [bounds, hops]
WEIGHTS:
Squats 4x4
Leg press 4x4
6x 30 sit ups
6x30 push ups
15min skipping rope

FRIDAY
Stretching 30min
1000 crunches
200 push ups

SATURDAY
Warm up
Stretching
Drills
2x200m 10min.
1x80m
1x100m
1x120m
Medicine ball 6x10
WEIGHTS:
Dead lifts 4x4
Dead lift roll outs
Hyperextentions 4x25
Seated rows 4x4
Cool down 2 laps

While during GPP Week 12 - our current week

MONDAY
Warm up 15 min.
Stretching 15min.
Weights
1x10 bench press
4x4 bench press
upper body work out
2x[2x60m] rec. 3/5min
1x40m
lower back roll outs
Hyper 4x25
4x4 dead lifts
4x6 good mornings
30 min. skipping rope
6x 30 sit ups
5x25 push ups

TUESDAY
Warm up 15 min.
Stretching 15min.
5x400 1min @ 70%
Medicine ball throws
6x10 throws
10x triple hop throw
lunges 5x30m
2x10m left or Borzov hop
2x10m right or Borzov hop
4x6 split squats
6x 30 sit ups
8x25 push ups

WEDNESDAY
Jog - 5km or
45min skipping rope
1000 crunches

THURSDAY
Warm up 15 min.
Stretching 15min.
Weights
1x10 squats
4x4 squats
4x4 45 leg press
4x25 lower ab leg lifts
4x25 lower ab leg lifts
straight legs
lower back roll outs
6x 30 sit ups
8x30 push ups
5x18 chin ups

FRIDAY
Jog - 5km or
45min skipping rope
1000 crunches

SATURDAY
Warm up 15 min.
Stretching 15min.
POWER DRILLS
2x8x20m
4x60m
2x40m
2x60m flying
Interval speed running
3x[20F+20E+20F]
Cardio/agility/plyo

Lunges/stairs (100 stairs)

4min for an easy 250m walk? A brisk 200m walk takes @2min+ or minus a few seconds at least for nearly everyone I coach. If I said slow walk around to my athletes they’d take at least 5min and I fear more like 6min.

True. Same here :slight_smile: I tell them to walk across rather than around. It takes precisely 2min.

I will have to use that.