Gary Winckler - 100mH WC tapper program

Does Canada’s 4x100 relay have a chance at the finals. I honestly have no idea. I doubt that Perdita has run one since her days at Illinois (2003?).

I trust you’re kidding, but, if you aren’t, maybe you should ask Gary about that.
See if he “remembers” spending a night at Marita Payne’s house in Toronto in the fall of 1982 with me discussing what went wrong with her 1982 Fla State season and how to adjust the plan by keeping the total speed volume constant till the last minute. Or, better yet, ask Marita!
In the fall of 1983, after a hugely successful university season, Gary gave a presentation at the Canadian Coaching Conference in Mount St Marie and presented my material virtually word for word and at the bottom of the screen it said “Copyright Gary Winckler”.
I just about fell out of my chair!

Perdita is supposedly running the 100m hurdles. I don’t know if she’s involved in a relay or even if there is a 4 x 100m relay there. I thought we had a womens 4 x 400 only.

Since he didn’t use word for word did he have the right to " Copyright Gary Winckler".

I think this was a misunderstanding on my part.

Not sure if Gary actually went to the trouble of copywriting the schedule, but law in this are is pretty much like patent law. The first person who presents the idea or document gets the rights to it…in general. In the '80’s I can’t think of a coach who had copywrited their training schedules. Maybe Gary was ahead of his time, or maybe he had already started “learning” from Vern Gambetta.

So you feel it’s ok to change a couple of words but use the chart as you were given it and take credit for a concept you had not used before but adopted directly from me and take credit for it as your own without even a citation?

RB, I tried to warn you that is lingering ill-will on this issue.

I was certainly not aware of the need for any such protection in 1982.
I was simply distressed that Marita had been removed from the 4 x 400m relay at the Commonwealth Games because she had fallen off her early season performances by so much. She’s a great girl and was a member of our track club and when she asked for help and I gave it as best I could.
She improved by almost 2 seconds in 1983 and ran 50.03 (I believe) in the World Championship Finals in Helsinki. (it was a lot tougher then because there was an extra round). She ran 49.91 the next year for 4th in the Olympics and is still the co-record holder for Canada.

I’m not doubting your motives for a minute. It’s sad that one would have to even consider copywriting something as basic as a training schedule. I am a bit surprised that no one at the Mount St. Marie conference didn’t recognize what was being presented as your creation.

It was an all-sport conference so many different sorts of coaches were there. As well, although this was whet he presented there, I should point out that this was one aspect of his training and has/had nothing to do with his successful hurdle results from what I’ve seen.

Ah, I understand. I think that Gary moved away from the L-to-S model some time ago. He tends to tinker a lot. Sprint results since then?

He built up the fantastic group at Florida State (Marita Payne, Michelle Finn, etc) but when he was not rewarded by the school, he left for Illinois, so hard to compare.

A sadly common course of events. Pat Henry’s move to Texas A+M was precipitated by an A.D. who felt winning National championships was no big deal.

Charlie

I thought that the particular L-to-S plan that he “borrowed” from you was for 100/200 (very similar to the l-to-s presented in the Vancouver download if I’m not mistaken) yet you say that Marita dropped nearly 2 seconds for her 400. Was this a by-product of the training or have I just got the above info incorrect?

It was the concept of filling out the volumes with short speed to keep the total weekly volumes constant throughout the main body of the SPP until the very last minute. Up till then he (and most other coaches) had simply followed the pattern of L-to-S SE work, allowing the volumes to drop by the amounts removed with each shortening of the SE distances. this resulted in a very narrow peak as too much work was removed for too long to maintain fitness for a sufficient period.
For each individual, the SE distances and the duration of the phase will be different. Both the 100/200, and 400 L-to-S charts I’ve presented were created for specific individuals. The 400 L-to-S and S-to-L charts were posted free on the forum recently if you haven’t seen them yet.

Back to the topic of tapering!
In Berlin, my information is that there were calls made by Gary to others to try to get them to race within the 10 day time frame and that Sally McLellan was called and agreed to participate but then the race wasn’t done.
Additionally, witnesses were surprised by the sheer workload that Perdita undertook in the final period in Berlin.
First off, you need a plan and you need to stick with it!
You don’t suddenly run around looking for another meet at the last minute and at a time when an injury would be catastrophic.
Both Perdita and McClellan performed well below what their pre Berlin form suggested.
McClellan should never have considered getting involved in anyone else’s preparation! She was doing just fine, thanks very much.
It takes courage to sit back and chill when all around you are outworking you, but you need to set your plan and stick with it. Same plan, all the time, evey time!
If you can’t stand watching the others working so hard- don’t watch!!