Med Ball Accelerations

With advanced athetes, these drills tend to be concentrated during training camps on grass, mixed with shorter accels and speed change drills, which also work best on grass

Thanks, I was curious because I have been using them with my athletes for several yrs and there strength is there ability to accelerate is it still beneficial to continue with these drills in GPP since the ability to acc is there strength or should we move on to regular Mb throws and jumps in GPP?

GPP:
Tue:
OHB 6-8
height 6-8
squat throw 6-8
1 hop 6-8
2 hop 6-8

Thur:
Acc 1 x8
Acc 2 x8

When I had the option to do 2x/day, in GPP and into the early SPP, I kept a limited number of MB accels in the AM most mornings.
The numbers were low enough not to be a problem that way, but later in the SPP, they’d have to be done the AM of an afternoon speed session for up to mid level sprinters but prob dropped for top level sprinters except during grass sprint training as I mentioned before.
Another option for top sprinters would be:
Start off AM daily, then AM of speed day, then briefly AM of day AFTER afternoon speed, then dropped. This case might arise when there will be a long GPP/SPP period or when weather isn’t cooperating to allow speed to rise as much as planned or if injury has held down speed for a while.

Thanks, great ideas. I never thought about performing MB accels ED.

this is with two a day training, separated by at least 4hrs, allowing for better recovery overall.