Thoughts on Charlie Francis and soccer

Over what distance?.

In the short term she maybe leaving them behind but the game is played over 90 minutes.

Has she really developed great stamina doing short burst tempo’s.

She can do 40x100m tempos in under 18 sec with 35 second rest, can also do double big circuit in under 18sec/36 second, can run under a 14 min 2 mile. She is plenty fit.

But I guess since I am not running these with her then my program isn’t very good, since I can’t possibly understand what she is going through. But since I have 6 girls at 6 different colleges who all have their teams fitness test records, I obviously don’t know what I am doing.

What is a short burst tempo?

Why would it be so hard to believe that the program ESTI outlined could be effective?

I think it highly likely that a player could benefit from such a program and derive most of their specific conditioning from any skill development sessions, scrimmaging and most importantly, games.

Thanks for the detailed response ESTI. Re: your last paragraph, I wonder if the s & c guy was also asking what your girl had been doing as he’s the one who really needs to know what type of program helped her achieve that condition.

This actually is a bit personal, since I applied for his job and was never interviewed. He knew about this etc. The girl doesn’t like him either, so we say we are doing secret Russian training programs :smiley:

Well, even if you did not get the job, you got the job done, so to speak :).

Just curious, is this in Michigan?

Yes, a college near Auburn Hills.

I used to live in Troy and Rochester-many years ago. Though it is unrelated, one of our current athlete’s sister (whom I’ve never met) was an ATC at Oakland univ.

Small world, I live in downtown Rochester. My wife played hoops there from 2000-2003.

I last lived in Michigan in a development about a mile or so behind the K-mart-for lack of better landmark.

We ate many burgers at Knapps growing up.

Originally Posted by mighty
I would be interested to read detailed case studies into the injury history of Owen Hargreaves (Man Utd), Louis Saha (Everton), Ledley King (Tottenham) and Micheal Owen (Newcastle Untied), including all attempts at rehabilitation, physcial preparation and the Physios’ opinion on the matter.

I have very recently had the chance to personally work with one of the aforementioned players.

From the information I collected,due to his extensive injury history,the player does not do any additional training,the matches themselves being his only mean of training,supported in the days in between by extensive recovery and regeneration sessions.
This routine has mananaged to keep him at his top level football performances,and part of top and National Teams,but it never never allowed him to stay injury free.

I thought it could fit here as a further stimulus for thought and discussion.

Do you know of any of the training done in the off-season for the player in question or any of the top players/teams?

I know for a fact many Premier league players supplement all sorts of crap to enhance performance. There also constantly enhancing pulls, strains, tears etc also.

Kieron Dyer was a fan of creatine, nuff said. Masses of extensive injury history.

None for the player mentioned above.Only some pool and plenty of recovery and regeneration work with physios.
More or different than that seemingly only makes managing the player’s career even more troublesome.
I am posting this here as it may represent an extreme case,and for this very reason should induce some thinking and discussion.

When Charlie was in Florence last year,he made one point very clear to a few professionals involved in different areas of world top soccer:the main stimulus is and will always remain the game itself,and everything else,from tactics,to training,to recovery and regeneration and even rehab and prehab sould be carefully planned around that single stimulus.
Especially when a team plays 50 to 75 90+ minutes games over a 10 months time span,and some players are called upon to play and win another 7 games to the World Cup victory right after that.
Off Season for them is a ten to fifteen days well deserved vacation!

Ledley King.

Shouldn’t be a footballer really IMO.

I assume the goalkeeper would have to follow a different program, as fitness cannot be derived from game play alone. It should involve explosive work (could be weights, plyos, short speed). In addition, a low intensity, high volume aerobic component would help to maintain circulatory processes that will keep the goalkeeper warm throughout the match (much like a baseball pitcher) or American football kicker.

Not really,as the entity of the general stimulus provided by the match would still be the single most important factor.

Nor I am sure if the comparison with the baseball pitcher or the AF kicker really applies other than for the descriptive purposes above.

Nevertheless I would agree that most principles of CFTS are more easily applied in a structured training for a goalkeeper,and I have myself seen at least one top european goalkeeper being trained intuitively by means and principles Charlie himself shared and agreed upon,and being very successful in his career with this kind of training.

I still find it hard to believe that a goalkeeper could be stimulated enough by game play to “improve” the qualities required by the higher end activities of their game. That would be one busy goalkeeper.

If you examined everything they did - in games and in practice - perhaps the workload (particularly through repetitive goalkeeper drills) could be enough to improve explosive qualities. It may not be necessary to include weight training and general explosive training (plyos, med-ball) in their overall plan if the volume and intensity of work in drills was appropriate.

However, I would think that many goalkeepers could benefit greatly from work in the weight room - even in season. This may not be done presently, but does not mean that it shouldn’t or couldn’t be done optimally.

A baseball pitcher would be busier throughout a game, but would have significantly greater recovery between games. The American football kicker (if they punted and place-kicked) may also be busier, combined with any running they had to do during special teams play.

That made me laugh … if you think how badly the rest of the team are trained often those very goalkeepers are that busy!

Back strain picking ball out of the net usually!