The Anterior Chain

Want to make sure I understand you correctly, you don’t consider lunges/spilt squats unilateral lifts? Also I assuming you don’t see any issues with the sample templates me and Derek discussed earlier.

Not a bad idea. I’ve used them more with sprinters in the past because of our weather issues. We can’t be on the track much in the winter, so we compensate with more Olympic lifts. Once outdoors (more sprint volume), our lifts are stripped down.

With your issues have you played around with jump squats or weighted spilt jumps?

I just don’t see why those are considered unilateral in a catagory with single leg squats just cause one leg is in front of the other.

I’ve had more success with jumpers (high, long, triple) using those exercises. Not so much with sprinters.

Single leg deadlifts are also questionable as a unilateral movement. The back can’t be separated into left and right during a deadlift, and I think the back carries a higher percentage of the load, relatively speaking, than it would during bilateral.

I agree, I perfer to use jump squats when the athletes dont have access to the ol’s. Pfaff seems to use a lot of jump squats/lunge jumps and it work well for his athletes. When following CF system I dont think you need to do ol’s or jump squats etc because the speed volume is higher then most programs.

You don’t think Dan has high sprint volumes?

Based on his dvd’s 300-400m was the norm, he said bailey and crew could only handle 4-6x60m per session and they would be trashed for days.

Unless I’m mistaken, I’ve heard of acceleration workouts that are over 500m of volume, something like 18x30’s. I believe that this is the high end of his volume though. I also heard that part about Donovan bombing out after 3 reps at 60m although Obadele was able to go all the way up to 8 reps, highly individualized volume prescriptions.

I do agree that Dan tends to use more jumping and a wider variety of stimuli than Charlie’s program.

My point is most coaches dont have 24x60’s or16x60’s or 8x30 and 8xflying 20-40…

Off topic: Lecture notes from Dan:

An Olympic lift (done 3 days/week)
- with a bar
- with a dumbbell
- straight up
- across the body if there are shoulder issues
- 6-8 sets of 2-3 reps at < 80% in GP
- 8-10 sets of 2-3 reps at > 80% in SP
- 8-12 sets of 1-2 reps at >80% in PC
- up to 10 sets of 1-2 reps at >80% in C