Tapering down in 2 weeks

Sat: meet 100 + 200
sun: rest
mon: tempo
tues: meet - 100m (quick feet drills in the morning)
wed: low vol. tempo or rest
thurs: block starts + low vol. Max.V
fri: rest

sat: contrast speed + power cleans/bench press
sun: rest
mon: low vol. tempo
tues: meet 100 (should i run the 200 as well??
wed: low vol. tempo or rest?
thurs: block starts
fri: rest
sat: provincial championships (100 + 200) 2 rounds of each

Does that look good? The 2 weeks before this saturday, I had very high vol./int. training.

I would not run a meet 4 days before your championships. Nothing more than submax between the contrast workout and the championships: 80m submax, 3X30+80@95%, or starts instead of the meet.

ok thanks, i know ive asked this a lot, but just wondering again, does what you said also apply to my age/level (16 - low 11s 100m)

I’ve got a similar problem right now. I’ve got nationals a week Friday, but I’ve got a meet the Sunday before, leaving a 5 day recovery which I reckon should be ok. However I want to do another contrast work out before nationals but it’s complicated because of the Sunday meet.

I’m thinking contrast 11 days out…:confused:

I might not have access to a suitable downhill, do you think going from a assisted sprint straight to a regular sprint, with a tailwind, would have somee effect at all? Or is the overspeed absolutely neccesary.

Also I havent done any sleds for so many months, any sort of negative effects that can result from this :confused: 1 week from a meet :confused:

you don’t need overspeed if you’re 16

ok. Thing Im thinking though is if i do 3-4x30m sleds, and then 4x60m with tailwind, wont the after effect of sled sprints only be useful in my drive phase? and not max. velocity. :confused:

Why not?
I used it at 16 with great success… shouldn’t the aim be optimal training and PR’s throughout? With injury prevention of course.

Tailwind work is overspeed, although not as extreme as downhill. The purpose of the resisted sprints is to excite the nervous system and activate more motor units, then these high power motor units have to work faster during the OS.

Sounds good, so 3-4x resisted and then 4x sprints with tailwind? or better to alternate back and forth?

And should I use 15 pounds since I weigh 145 or even reduce the load down to 10 pounds

I am just looking down the road. It can be hard to progress an athlete who’s 22 if they pulled out all the fancy training stimulus when they were 16.

What if it increases their capacity to improve? It’ll improve his ability to run fast in a 16yo frame, so will that improve the scope of what he could do in a 22yo frame?

I think the issue is more that the overspeed downhill (at 5-6% grade as has been posted here recently) places rather extreme impact stresses, and at 16 the body is still developing and maybe not ready to handle the higher stress loads.

It does appear that resisted or overspeed by itself does not seem to have much of a performance improvement (that was posted recently too and there other papers to that effect), so it may indeed be that the overspeed IS needed to get the gains that have been mentioned. I’m going to do this stuff for a couple of workouts with a high school sprinter, but he’ll be 18, not 16 at the time, which is a big difference.

Maybe you can run on the flat with the wind and not go to the full overspeed downhill?

do you mean that resisted/overspeed individually in a workout alone, with nothing else, are not effective for performance improvements?

and what are the best distances to use for this workout, 30m for resisted? and 60m for flat + wind sprints?

edit: just a random thought I had, what do you do when your downhill sprint is in the direction of a headwind? are you still reaching higher top speeds if the winds not that strong?

Some of what you’re asking about with overspeed or resisted training (alone, not in conjunction) can be found here from the Tudor Bompa thread:

http://www.charliefrancis.com/community/showpost.php?p=218039&postcount=127

And there are some similar results from the Athletics Canada page about Soviet research. I’m not saying they don’t work at all, but they don’t seem to work nearly as well as the uphill/downhill contrast method.

What I’ve seen written about the contrast method is that the uphill/downhill portions are in the 20-40m range with 30m for flys being used by just about everybody, but the runnig in the flat tends to be longer, from 60m or 60m flys to 100m for me.

Not sure I really buy that. Surely the everyday jumping activities of kids have higher impact stresses, like jumping out of trees and off of swings! Not to mention school long and triple jump and then there is basketball and dunking. Most American kids seem to spend all their time doing lay-ups and trying to touch the rim. I think all of these activities have higher impact loads than sprinting a slight gradient on grass… even runnning on a hard track in sprint spikes.

im looking at arranging a 2 week taper also not for me though, were planning contrast on wed this week

whats the best amount of resistance to be using for this?

I personally run uphill only slightly steeper than the downhill portion… that way mechanics are closer to flat sprinting… If you’re using a sled keep it light. PJ got some great potentiation from light sleds so I believe, think it was around 5k but not sure.

Is Joel competing at the weekend?