Some Excellent Training done here......(not really)

One of my clients for Weight Loss, her Best friend and a good friend were on the Aussie Biggest Loser show.
8hrs a day training (6hrs low HR, 70-80% of max and 2hrs with a P.T. )
Then eat and sleep.
If i ever get clients come in and DEMAND 5-10kg per week fat lose, I tell them the Training required… Cuts them dead instantly.

Then the injuries - non stop injury machine that show.

I don’t like the show for those reasons, and the constant crying - but, it is a valuable show to Watch for a Public Relations standpoint when talking to potential or current clients who Do watch it. You cannot have a say if you don’t really watch it.
Gives you good Ammo to use when somebody gets trained Stupidly and then gets injured.
But sometimes also - you see something that is new and you can implement that idea.

Boy you said it. I can almost guarantee you Doyle has put more average joe type high school athletes into the NFL than anyone ever has.

I shouldn’t call them average joes’, more like: non 4/5-star players but with potential. I could list 20 guys off who weren’t heavily recruited out of high school that went on to be all big 10 and/or playing in the NFL right now in the last 8 years from Iowa. Thats just off the top of my head.

Another article on alumni comments:

While all three former players remembered the toll the 100 squats workout took on their bodies, they also spoke of its importance – almost reverentially – in the Iowa offseason workout program.

“It’s terrible, physically, but it really teaches you to go to your limit, push your boundaries,” Murphy said. “And it’s really a key team-building thing. You’ve been to hell and back with your teammates. (Later during the season) we’d joke about it during practice: ‘At least it’s not 100 squats.’”

Added Herbst, “I felt like I accomplished something when I got done with it. It makes you tougher mentally as well as physically.”

All that is crucial to being a successful major college football player, Elgin said.

“This is Big Ten football. Every student-athlete is trying to push their body to the absolute max,” he said.

Murphy agreed, saying simply, “I don’t think you can ever work too hard.”

All three players also came to the defense of Doyle, who has a solid reputation in the coaching community. Elgin added about 100 pounds to his frame under Doyle’s tutelage.

"That strength staff headed by Chris Doyle, they are smart. They research

everything. They are looking out for the best interest of the player," Elgin said. "He’s one of those guys that really cares. He really gets to know his players. He probably knows the players’ bodies better than they do. They have such a magnifying glass on the players. They know what’s going on.

“He’s one of the best strength and conditioning coaches in the nation, and you don’t fall into that reputation by being careless. It’s an unforutnate incident that hopefully both sides will learn from.”

Murphy sees this week’s incidents as isolated and hopes the issue doesn’t get blown out of proportion.

“They’re doing the same things we all did,” he said. “They should focus the story on why did this happen now?”

“one of the best strength and conditioning coaches in the nation…” – Based on what assessment? I know some pretty smart strength coaches, and none of them would have ever prescribed 100 squats with a time limit. Obviously, this is a staple of the program and has a history.

The general public’s assessment of “What makes a good strength coach” counts for very little. It’s like using the “People’s Choice Awards” as a measuring stick for excellence.

Can you link to any studies that show a correlation between excessive supplement protein and/or creatine and kidney function?

Exactly, no such study exists with healthy individuals. Unfortunately, even at the university level, we still have some PhD’s making comments such as, “don’t eat too much protein because it’s well known it’s bad for the kidneys.”

My advice to anyone is don’t eat too much of anything.

Well, the american heart says Yes
http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=11234

and here
http://www.livestrong.com/article/313539-side-effects-of-ingesting-too-much-protein/

Those are the top two when i googled if Protein is bad for the kidneys

But, as the question was posed, there are no studies proving either poses a healh risk that I have seen. The only study I’m aware of with protein and kidney function indicated potential issues with individuals with pre-existing kidney conditions.

Maybe the message is don’t eat a high amount of anything. Be sure that the consumption is in line with basic guidelines of consumption of macronutrients per lb. or kg of bodyweight.

Exactly right - so, how do you tell if one has a pre-existing kidney condition? Esp if they don’t even know…
Also - you can test for Filter issues in the body via Blood and urine Acid levels via a PH test - certain parameters indicate a potential Kidney/liver Blockages - Best seeing a Naturapath for this test.

I don’t claim to be a doctor or even a sports scientist, only someone who checks out various studies.

I can’t say how they came to this conclusion but it was mentioned in the one study where the advice against a high protein diet (not sure how they are defining that exactly either) was that people with known kidney issues should, in particular, avoid a high protein intake. Perhaps someone can find this study-it’s been a number of years since I’ve seen it.

I don’t know the details

If it was one I’d most likely think it was a personal medical issue - but who knows.

6 is a bit much!

I don’t know how many times I’ve thought that about this profession!

It’s the same reasoning Franno doesnt like back squats, he feels the injury risk is too high. Whether right or wrong, the thinking with it is to keep athletes healthy, relatively speaking. This is why this makes no sense. If they have this attitude, then why do works as those being reported. Makes no sense to me.

I do hope those players recover well quickly.

I have a naturapath who i get all my Nutritional advice from and get to use that info for my clients.
At his studio, which is one of the Largest in the state here, uses a modified Ketosis program. Very high protein, up around 150g day, then tailored after 3weeks to suit Male/female, activity levels ect.
They do this also to De-toxifiy the body, and help Clean out the Liver and Kidneys.

Every meal also has to have some sort of Vegies/salad or Fruit

Rhabdomyolysis can be brought on by a number of factors. Alcohol, exercise, crush injuries, etc. I know a few people who have gotten it. They were warned pretty severly by the doctors. One case can be isolated, 12 cases and your just being an idiot. I think everybody on this forum can trash anyone they train whenever they feel like it. My question is why? What is the point? This isn’t the Navy Seals, it’s football. Last I checked an NFL team would kick the shit out of the 11 toughest Seals in a football game while I am sure the seals would destroy the football players in their arena. What is the bent on we suffer together, we go to hell together. Sorry, I played and I don’t get it. Guys are so deep into their own misery, they can’t even focus. Trust me, the Navy Seal is always going to be mentally tougher than the NFL player, but I think it won’t matter. It is still a physical game. I have seen guys train for years and I have seen more injuries with front squat than back. I never listen to anyone who talks in absolutes. 99% of the time, they have an agenda.