Should med ball and running be seperate?

If I do 2000 meters of tempo and then 45 minutes of med ball and 15 minutes of ab circuit should it be split into 2 seperate workouts? Which way would offer the best conditioning?

Nope. All low intensity work. Should be fine.

Is there a particular reason you are asking (e.g., time)? If not, you’ve got your reply above.

Is it ok to separate it into two workouts if you have time to burn some extra calories in order to drop some weight for better performance?

What about high intensity medball hops?

I’m a big fan of medball hops with acc, but find I am too tired after a track session or leg weights to do them. Would it be possible to do them at the end of the week on a sat after tempo followed by a rest day?

I would place them as the first training element in all the situations mentioned above; definitely before leg weights and tempo.

I agree with Nik.

I might do them as part of the warm-up of a track session, but without the hops, or at the most one hop into a throw/accell. Multiple hops might fatigue the athlete just enough not to allow them to sprint at their top speed. I suppose it would depend on the distances they’ll be running in practice. If it’s under 50-60m, then It might be fine, but top end speed work would more than likely be hindered for that session. If it is during the GPP or with a slower athlete, again, it would probably be fine.

NumberTwo, do you have a chart (similar to the motor recruitment chart) for intensity where all the typical training elements are listed? i.e., tempo and core-work at one end, and “elite-performance-top-end sprints” and Olympic Lifts at the other. Might help clear up some of the confusion about when the full 48 hours of recovery is necessary due to CNS fatigue/taxation and when and where to place/plot the different training elements in a single session. I know the information is talked about in the GPP DVD regarding a spit routine for weights early on in the GPP.

It also depends a lot on the level of the athlete. One think is regional level, another is college, another is Olympic potential, another is team sport. The higher the level, the more stringent the need for 48 hrs or more between HI elements (I would tend to put med ball throws at sufficient level there for high-level athletes).

A lot better to fix the diet. Doing more work is an “expensive” and not so successful (for the general populations, but also for largely for athletes, if we are not talking about endurance) way of losing weight/fat.

I agree; take advantage of other available options, before going down that road.

There are 2 sheets that came with Vancouver 04 and with other materials such as the Elite Concepts ebook which cover a fair bit of that. One is titled Effective Adaptation Periods, per training block and the other is High Intensity Training for Sports

I was at the Vancouver seminar and I have the Elite Training e-book (helped edit a younger version of it). I’m thinking one page chart form with all the information implied in it though. CNS Work Rankings Chart if you will.