Rouge Serret smashes PB with 10.17 - fifth fastest Aussie ever.

ATHLETICS AUSTRALIA Website

Sprint king Rouge-Serret moves to No. 5 all-time

Victorian sprinter Aaron Rouge-Serret (Athletics Essendon) has recorded the fastest 100m on Australian soil in three years, with an impressive 10.17 second dash (w:1.8) to win the men’s blue riband sprint at the Western Australian Track and Field Championships in Perth last night.

Slashing nearly two tenths of a second from his previous best (10.36, w:1.0m), the 22-year-old’s breakthrough bolt rockets him to No. 5 on the Australian all-time list and places him in the box seat for an individual berth at the 2010 Commonwealth Games in New Delhi, India, in October.

“It’s pretty much a dream come true for me. I ran the relay at the Berlin world champs last year, so to have the individual 100m now a reality for Delhi is amazing,” said an ecstatic Rouge-Serret, who admitted he’s still on cloud nine since his career-best performance last night.

Restricted by niggling injuries early in the summer Rouge-Serret was full of praise for coach Adam Larcom, who tailored a preparation to ensure the powerhouse sprinter would peak at the pointy end of the domestic season.

“Our main focus has been the nationals in April and we didn’t run the Sydney or Melbourne Track Classics for that reason. This is the first week I’ve tapered for a race, and I’ve run a 10.17. The possibilities seem endless,” said Rouge-Serret, who became the second man after Patrick Johnson (10.18, w:1.5) to run a Commonwealth Games A-qualifier this domestic season.

“I didn’t have the best of starts, but 30 to 60 metres was really the strong part of my race.

“When I finished the race I thought it would be close to a low or mid 10.20, but then I saw the time and I was speechless.”

Liam Gander (NSW) and Keith Sheehy (SA) filled the minor placings behind Rouge- Serret in the men’s 100m final.

Rouge-Serret and coach Larcom will stay in Perth to continue their build-up and preparation for the Go for 2&5 88th Australian Athletics Championships and Commonwealth Games selection trials, commencing Friday, April 16.

Rouge-Serret will need to place in the top two at the Australian championships to guarantee his first individual berth on a senior national team.

Anyone know his height & weight?

yes, I do …

174cm & 78kg according to his bio and that looks about right

closer to 170cm and 70kg… pretty norm to buff up your numbers on paper. :slight_smile: small guy only, those numbers match up with Ato and Green, Aarron is much smaller in mass and height then those two.

A few coaches I’ve spoken to are packing a spirit level and 100m tape measure next time they head over to Perth. The drop in times at Perth against their normal performance is apparently averaging around .2 of a second. This has been noticed across different age groups and different abilities, which while the variation is greater among the slower athletes, the average appears to be roughly the same.

Great time though.

One would think faster Australian athletes would be a good thing, guess not everyone has the same opinion.

Is one perhaps misinterpreting the posts of others?

Jumping to conclusions maybe, for what purpose would packing a spirit level and 100m tape measure next time they head over to Perth hope to achieve?

everyone doesn’t run fast in Perth relative to PB, its usually the sprinters with good S/R who benefit most.

It was a tongue in cheek comment that reflected the skepticism with which many are regarding the times that are appearing out of Perth at the moment.

Consider these facts:

1. There is yet to be a major event in Perth, o there has not been a gathering of a top field; yet
  2. 12 of the top 20 times posted in Australia this year in the 100m have been run in Perth.
  3. Of the remaining eight top 20 athletes, none have run in Perth.
  4. Of the 12 that have, the average difference between their next fastest, (non-Perth) time, is approximately 2/10th’s of a second.

It pays for coaches to be objective about these things, so that they do not garner an unrealistic idea regarding where their athletes really are at, and to enable the management of expectations of athletes at future competitions (EG, “How come I train so well yet I am not improving on that time I ran in Perth?” etc). It is a problem that many coaches often want to take the credit for the entirety of an athletes performance or improvement in performance, when there are in fact often many contributing factors. This will generally yield an unrealistic assessment of their athlete; if there is a significant, single contributing factor the distortion will be amplified.

I sincerely hope there haven’t been any conversations similar to this one:

Clarke and Dawes “The Games”: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teoL6FKEtCY

It’s actually an entirely new track at a new sporting complex in Claremont (not Perry Lakes), so we are only talking this year.

from the series on the abc, it was good for a laugh

Yes, an all time favorite! I don’t think there’s anyone that can deliver dry humor quite as effectively as John Clarke.

Roy and HG is the other olympic tv show that stuck in my head, remember the interviews where Green & Bolton were telling each other what they were doing.

Surely the WA stadium has a surveyors certificate, good winds, why not.

The Games.

Come on guys it’s a bit of a joke that everyone goes to Perth and runs a pb. The winds are great, the track is new, it’s slightly better oriented for the wind I have been told so no wonder they all run fast there.

Oz Nats there in 2 weeks or so so no doubt there will be more fast times but look how fast everyone has run when not in Perth, a good 0.15s slower. PJ one week 10.18s with a nice +1.5, then 2 weeks later 10.34s with a +0.6 in Sydney.

Good luck to them I say but I wonder how many athletes will get near these times in the rest of the year if ever? (unless they are back in Perth…)

This has turned into an interesting discussion…its like this Perth track is the holy grail for sprinters. Okay i understand some comments may be tongue in cheek. But let me see if the athletes are 0.2s faster and turn up and run another 0.2s faster at their championships are they now not 0.4s faster or do we take the previous PB that was only 0.2s faster or do we look to the previous PB outside of that not in Perth. I wonder in this case who gets the accolades the athlete, coach, person who laid the track or is it an alignment of stars. These poor sprinters are damned if they do and damned if they don’t. With respect to the example above the 10.18s (1.5) v 10.34s (0.6). Equated for wind that difference is closer to 0.1s and considering the time difference and travel between seems like a fair enough back up run. I suppose we can all look forward to Bolt running 9.38s and Jeter 10.44s…props to all these athletes running fast. How about we encourage them to build more of these facilities so more athletes can run fast, after all isn’t that what its all about.

So , I guess not many of you know the famous Rieti track…in Italy, usually your SB ins 15 hundreths faster than any other:)

Track more about lies, errors, and b.s than actual performance. There are so many BS times/distances in the world of track&field it is sad. I am not taking anything away from Serret, I’m just talking in general. I will be interested to see what he runs the remainder of the season.