Stefanie's

Great song Nick :smiley:

Wednesday, Dec. 22, 2010

(doubles are not happening, apparently… My sister is getting married on Sunday, and it seems like the whole world revolves around her these days - and the past 10 months :o :rolleyes: > much to help with, but it’s mostly enjoyable!)

They are doing ‘maintenance’ at the grass these days, so today’s tempo had to be on the track, which did not feel so lovely (minor shin splints and bunion pain) but oh well.

• 20min easy run with the group
  • static stretching

Long circuit
100++100++100++
100++++(bathroom break) 200++100+100+
100+200++200++100+
100+200++100+100+
100+100+100++++
(the pluses are accurate actually, where +=walk 50m. I just did the first 4 with the guys, hence the longer breaks).

• 2 x 6 chin ups
  • 4 x 12 leg curls
  • 4 x 12 dips
  • plenty of abs and back exercises
  • 1 x 8 SLDL’s
  • 1 x 12 bench press
  • 1 x 12 lateral pull downs

Still slightly sick. (weak, and tingly throat) but I think it won’t get worse.

how does the coach feel about that?

Sid lives :stuck_out_tongue:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIXg9KUiy00

The coach is not MY coach. She used to be, back in 2004, but now I just train with them when I’m here, and they’re happy to have me around - because they like me :o and I like them.
I really appreciate this group (the coach and her major guy - this year for the first time they also have a younger one who looks VERY promising), because they help me so much when I’m here (if you think that I’m the only person on earth who is allowed to train with them, the coach times me when I want, etc). I’ve known them for nearly 8 years, and they almost feel like family.
Training in Thessaloniki becomes a pleasure with family around, and knowing that these people will always be on (and off) the track to help me.
On the other hand, I’m free to do whatever I want, because she (coach) doesn’t have responsibility over me, and we’ve discussed this in the past. (how could she? I’m mostly not here)
I suppose the situation does not become ‘simple’ until I find myself based somewhere year-around.

And since I’m announcing my appreciations; whatever I say about Nik and his help over the years is not enough :stuck_out_tongue:

I was chatting with an old friend in the weight room today, and I mentioned to her that although my training is not ‘serious’ like the rest (perhaps this seems so because I’m on my own, and whatever I do will never be serious, training-wise; I strongly believe that serious training needs serious supervision, in whatever sense, at least for me, as the stimuli immediately multiply just by one watching/caring presence alone… anyway) this sentence got way out of hand…
…“although my training is not ‘serious’ like the rest”… I do it religiously enough to allow me to train at a level where I feel that I’m not wasting time with just doing something for the sole sake of pure fitness. (not that there’s anything wrong with that, but it just does not fit my character - at this point of my life, at least).

p.s. John, that was a horrible video :rolleyes:

hahaha its a classic and the last 20 seconds legendary!

You made my day with that video…

I didn’t have the courage to watch till the end :p:p:p

I have video footage on some drills/plyo/stride here: (Charlie’s low skips included; p.s. I don’t know if this is an ‘official’ drill, but he showed it to me to help me with dorsiflexion!!)
http://www.charliefrancis.com/community/showthread.php?t=23027

It’s been my pleasure, Stef!

EDIT: I would be cautious with changing surfaces in general and with plyos from now on, as we’ve discussed before.

I can definitely related with you here. I’m on a track club that loves running long, slow intervals. But there are points where I can cross my workout with theirs (in a very creative way). For example, last night, the club ran a 300, 250, 250, 200, 200 with 7 minutes of rest between the intervals. Now of course the “quality” of any of these runs was definitely skeptical. So while they were still warming up and running the first two intervals, I ran 3x50m on 5 min rest. I then joined them on their second 250, which I treated as a special endurance run by running all-out. I love being a part of a team, but I just can’t get myself to train in a way that I completely disagree with. So this approach has seemed to work the best for me; however, I still get that look from the others that says, “What, do you think you’re better than us?” What can you do?

and that’s the issue, especially when in my case they are some of the best athletes in the country and I suck … :rolleyes:

Ok !!

Yes exactly =))
And sometimes with these guys it’s not like I don’t WANT to do their 600 reps with 2’ rests… I just CAN’T :o (I used to, but now I train differently). They are very cool about it, to my delight. Most of it comes from respecting each other :cool:
I’ve also experienced being in a different group here in the same city, and I know what that “look” feels like, that you are talking about.

I guess it builds character. :stuck_out_tongue:

Thursday, Dec. 23rd, 2010.

Things hurt today (body in general from a virus, shin splints from sudden change of surfaces … ) I took it very easy >>

• 5 laps with sister (on track)
  • few dynamic stretching
  • 3 x 20m A skips
  • 1 x 20m running A skips
  • 3 x 20m low skips
  • 2 x 20m B skips
  • 3 x 60m RRLL plyos
  • 1 x 70m stride (or so)

EMS

• 20min active recovery on hamstrings
  • 2 x 20min relaxing massage on calves

That is awesome that they’re cool about it. I still catch quite of a bit of junk for my speed-focused approach to training for the 400. The head of our club is extremely old school, and most of the runners have come from that type of training in college. I came back to track at age 25 (now 27) to break 50 seconds in the 400 for the first time. I was at 50.8 or so in high school and have gotten my time down to 50.22 last year. So I’m getting close! But of course, our club’s top 400 runner (48.8) throws his jabs in here and there with comments like, “Maybe if you’d stop being such a Sally and run some intervals with us, you could finally break 50.”

Alright, I’ll stop thread-hijacking. :slight_smile:

No problem! I enjoy hijacking…
Best of luck with your training along the way =))

Strange last days… sister’s wedding and preparations for it, personal drama, and generally, off-schedule.

Friday, Dec. 24th, 2010

15min run (wow)

Saturday, Dec. 25th, 2010

• 20min warm up

• 7 x 100stairs (doubles)

Sunday, Dec. 26th, 2010

sister’s wedding (> dancing)

Monday, Dec. 27th, 2010

wedding recovery and sleeping

Tuesday, Dec. 28th, 2010

• 5 laps warm up, quick stretching

• 5 x 100stairs (doubles-doubles-doubles-singles-doubles)

• 5 x 100m hill (walk back recoveries)

Dear god…

Tomorrow may be normal again

Wednesday, Dec. 29th, 2010

(all indoors) > cold out

• 15min warm up

• static/dynamic stretching

• long circuit (kind of fast with slightly longer rests)
    100+100+100+
    100+200++100+100+
    100+200++200++100+
    100+200++100+100+
    100+100+100

Gym

• numerous abs
  • 2 x 10 leg curls
  • 2 x 15 slow hamstring drops (where you sit on your knees - on a matt - with feet locked, and slowly drop forward into a push up hand position, then slowly back up)
  • 3 x 8 back squats
  • 3 x 8 deadlifts

is that the order? Why curls and natural Glute Ham Raises before squats and deads? :confused:

How was your sisters wedding?

I was going to ask “how come the weights?” But I won’t… :stuck_out_tongue:

Purely due to bar availability… Room was packed when I got there.

Sister’s wedding was a day and night of joy. My favorite part was seeing all of our friends and relatives in one big room and drinking sips of wine on each table while chatting with them :stuck_out_tongue:
(John there’s an album on fb… you got my account!)

But since you did… :stuck_out_tongue: : I found myself training in a building with a weight room, once again :o

But I must say… perhaps back squats and deads are no longer suitable for me… my lower back bothers me when I do them, and the last thing I want is that horrid paid I had last summer when I went to see Jamirok…

But I do need a glute-alternative of such intensity that those exercises create… Open to suggestions.

I wonder if it is actually more a case of not doing squats or deads for ages (couldn’t see any for a while) and then doing them both in the same session and after the other stuff you did. That would knock anyone around, even SuperStef :stuck_out_tongue: .

Excuse the pics but check out

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/advanced_glute_training&cr=

I alternate between GM & RDL for 4 weeks and on the other day Glute Bridge & Hip Thrust.

Checked out the pics, looks like a fun time all round :cool:

Thanks John !! :slight_smile:

Also, check this out
http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/dispelling_the_glute_myth
Nick had sent this to me about a year ago, (he reminded me), and I searched for it today and it’s a really great article.

Perhaps you are right about the lack of squats/deads, but when it bothers even with warm up bar-weight, I’m really hesitant… (when pain hits sharply, I can’t even walk properly, so I really don’t want that back… :eek:)

Thursday, Dec. 30th, 2010

(2 degrees out !!)

(track)

• 3 laps warm up

• very few stretching (training partner got there earlier and I was trying to catch up :rolleyes:)

• 2 x 70m strides w/ trainers

• 2 x 70m strides w/ spikes

(partner was doing 500s, and I stood at his 200m mark and did the last 300 with him)

• 300m (48secs) , 7’ rest
  • 300m (47secs) , 10’ rest
  • 300m (46secs)

(… ouch)

I think these were good, under the circumstances. I love training with company…