PITT Panthers

I finally created a youtube site to show some of our training videos.

The official video depicting what Buddy and I do is still in production. Not sure what’s taking so long to finalize it; however, it’s very well done so I’m looking forward to it airing.

Here’s the youtube link. videos will be added little by little.

PITT Iron Works

Don’t violate any NCAA rules with the posting of videos etc. :wink:

Do me a favor and let me know if I am in violation in anyway so I can correct it.

The strength staff cannot film voluntary summer workouts. Please double check with your compliance office.

I’ll look into it asap

Took it down until I find out the final word from compliance

It’s a small rule that most programs don’t know about.

Fantastic. My school is going into the NCAA (Div 2) and I have all of these idiotic rules to follow now. Most of which prevent me from doing my job (i.e. helping athletes to train properly). I have now been turned into an “observer”.

I assume these rules came into place to prevent the retards at Michigan from making the football players do 10x400m runs with weighted sleds (while filming them)?

Thanks RB34, it looks like you’re correct. My compliance guy is looking into it and getting back to me in the morning.

It’s a shame that the NCAA places so many restrictions on the entire affair.

James,

The Sept. issue of M & F is available now-at least where I live.

My wife went to the bookstore the day before yesterday and we didn’t have it. Maybe it came out today.

I welcome comments regarding the ridiculous expression on my face. Of all the photos that could have been used, I don’t know why that one was selected and also because it’s from 2007.

I did enjoy the fact that at the end of the two page write-up there was a reference to Charlie and his influence on your program.

It would be dishonorable for me to discuss what I do, in any depth, and not mention Charlie’s influence.

I feel the same way-I need to mention CF when discussing my program. Unfortunately, some coaches pretend as if everything they do is an original invention of theirs-while some aspects might be original, everything cannot be. The originality, to me, comes about in how a coach pieces together the numerous influences in what he/she does within their program.

I also appreciated the comment about how football fans might be surprised to find that many college programs do NOT do actual speed training. That is so true. Though they may think they do speed work, by the protocols they follow with incomplete recoveries the work cannot be truly defined as speed training or speed development.

Thanks. You and I are in total agreement.

Every time I speak about Charlie’s impact on my coaching career people think I’m crazy. In level 1 school, I caught hell from bringing up Charlie’s name and by the end of the conversation the Coach was agreeing with me once he saw he wasn’t talking to a bozo.

James,

How fast is Mason, some of those sprints looked pretty quick.

With regard to the speed work, do you dictate the starting position (ie 3 pt. vs. upright) or do you let the athlete decide?

I didn’t conduct any formal testing this summer so I can’t say where he’s at definitively; probably mid to high 4.5 on the watch after a taper.

We switch up the starting position for the sprints, from push up position, lying on the side, lying on back, 3pt, standing, and so on.

I take a lot of input from the guys.

James,

I would hope you could clear up for me one of the comments in the article. The paragraph in question goes into the fact that you employ work to develop anaerobic/alactic capacity and aerobic capacity. The utilization of a “series method” is mentioned using HI bouts of explosive efforts (I am not quoting all the text exactly unless you require that that as I assume you have the issue?) are used with RI’s corresponding to the collegiate play clock. Perhaps the “series method” is the what you transition into from the alactic work?

Those lines seem to be contradictory but I assume RF meant you segue into that type of work (the work requiring reduced RI’s to corresond to the specific ES demands of the work) from the true alactic work? The lines themselves are not direct quotes so I assume it was his interpretation of what you said and what you do.

Thanks.

No worries. I take the blame for that because Rob sent me the finalized version before it went to print, for my review, and I should have caught the errors in translation.

We progress from alactic power (full recoveries) to alactic capacity (shorter recoveries) over the course of the spring and summer.

The rest intervals to not get progressively shorter, however. They simply go from full during power to play clock during capacity.

So the series method is used during capacity and is consistent with Verkhoshansky’s, and others, explanation of the associated parameters and I make the necessary adjustments that are necessary relative to game biodynamic/bioenergetic structure. The word ‘series’ also corresponds to series of plays ran during a game/practice that is familiar to players and coaches.

So 3 x (20yd x 6) during capacity would be 3 series of 6 repetitions of 20yds. 4-5 minutes rest between series and ~40sec rest between repetitions.

If you’re interested, this is all explained in detail in my lecture DVD that covers the training during the spring and summer off-seasons.