Jai Taurima Approach Speed

I was watching the video of the 2000 Olympic LJ competition, and his max runway speed was 41.2km/h, for both his 8.40 and 8.49 jumps.

This is 11.4m/s, or an equivalent 10m split time of 0.87.

Is it just me, or is this exceptionally fast for a long jumper?

Are these videos avaiable on the internet?

Those instantaenous speeds given on TV screen are not reliable. To get proper speed data, look for recordings given by cells for 1 to 6m and 6 to 11m to the board, or laveg apparatus. I remember a 60m indoor competition a few years ago where they had those instantaneous speeds on screen for Zhanna Blocks, and max speed was well above 39km/h which is bullshit.

Thanks PJ.

//youtu.be/pIBq5nJ-pEU

FROM JAI TAURIMA’S COACH CRAIG HILLIARD:

"In Sydney he was faster than he he’d ever been, close to 11m/s five metres out. But he never ran 11.4, that’s absolute rubbish. I saw something flash up on the screen in Sydney but it was just rubbish. I don’t know where they got that from. There were no velocity guns.

“He was running 10.5 to 10.6 m/ps for the zone from 11m out to 6m out (from the board). But he would drop to low 10m/s and sometimes under at takeoff. That was his big problem when he first came to me.”

his penultimate is way too exagerated for the height he gets

On what basis do you come to your conclusion?

Are you referring to his Olympic silver medal jump - or to all of his jumps?

I refer to all of his jumps, look at the front view. Tremendous braking in the penultimate and the height of the jump isn’t that great, compare with Pedroso.

Yep, I’m sure all coaches and jumpers try to minimise braking. Often though it is simply the jumper attempting to adjust to get onto the take-off board.

I think it was Lyn Davies who copied that action from the fabulous Soviet jumper Igor Ter-Ovanesyan. Years later when they spoke, Igor said: “Oh yes, that action we have been trying to get rid of for years!” :slight_smile:

The difference between pedroso and many other jumpers was his ability to transfer his horizontal velocity into vertical velocity.

Lets assume all jumpers came in with 10m/s (and took off with) the parabola or end distance (result) would therefore be limited to vertical velocity (I assume).

Pedroso from memory had a 3.8m/sec vertical vel with many other jumpers only obtaining low 3m/sec.

I will try to find this data for you all. I think it was in a new studies in aths magazine.

Anyone interested in the giants of that era - Ralph Boston, Bob Beamon, Davies and Ter-Ovanesyan should read Davies’ book: “Winner Stakes All” which is a great insight into what happened at the 1968 Mexico Olympics when Beamon wrecked what had been billed as a great showdown with his first jump in the final - having barely made it through qualifying because his run-up was so dodgy.

Btw I belive Emmiyan had some outrageos vertical acceleration values that surpassed Pedroso’s one. There is a document on some studies done in the 87 WC, I will look for them.