Interview with Tudor Bompa

“Resisted sprints: 3x30m (accel. 15-25m)”. So is this an uphill ‘flying 30?’ Seagrave is using? I’ve been using 40m accelerations…

What is the purpose of overspeed? Is it only to get the body used to a higher rate of turnover? The reason I’m asking this is because I run in normal running shoes on an indoor track when the weather is bad and my rate of turnover is significantly higher just because the shoes have much less grip than my spikes. I feel like my foot flys out from underneath me as soon as it touches the track, but this is just because the friction is less without spikes. Does running like this have any effect similar to overspeed since the turnover is improved even though I’m actually moving slower across the track?

Something is seriously wrong here. Once you are near top speed, there’s no way your feet should be slipping on an indoor track. In running shoes, your turnover should be noticeably slower than with spikes. The added weight makes a significant difference. Perhaps your brain is fooled somehow?

One of my mentors worked very closely wih Seagrave and there are elements of contrast work in his training, I will see if I can post some next week.

That’s weird. When I don’t wear spikes my feet just don’t catch the track the same way as they do when I’m wearing them. I thought it functioned the same way as trying to run on ice, where you might cycle your legs faster but not go anywhere because of the lack of grip. My running shoes are fairly worn and the bottoms are kind of smooth.

I think I know what you’re talking about, I’ve gotten this “effect” if you can call it, when wearing flats maybe one time when i did intensive tempo.
But I’ve got this effect also A LOTT when I had to (in the past) wear my spikes… with no spikes on them! Just the shoe itself in a indoor track because the spikes werent permitted.

I often felt insanely rapid turnover/super short ground contact, though strides felt short… lol…

Yes, my strides are short sometimes as well, so I try to focus on lifting my knees higher while keeping up my rate of turnover. Usually I can’t keep it up for long though because I start to tighten up.

Regarding the possible potentiation effect of a contrast/OS warm-up…

Not sure how relevant this is but I did contrast training 1hour before a jumping session on Monday… I jumped 7.30m off a ‘skip-on’ 8 stride approach…

What was the warm up? How does this correlate to your normal performance

2x40m up/2xfly 30 down
1hr
4x50m 95%
Jumps

Last years best off 12strides was 6.84…

But I’ve been jumping 6.80-90 mini-boxjumps (2") off 4-6 strides lately.

It’s the fact that contrast wasn’t detrimental and maybe a potentiator which is interesting… and I didn’t get injured!

From what I can gather 7.30 off a short approach is near elite level… although those guys really thrive at speed.

You guys are going crazy with all this contrast training.

Wouldn’t you if you’d dropped .55 from one race to the next??

For some odd reason I did this workout 36 hours before a meet!
Ran a pb in the 100 heats while easing up then pbed by 2 tenths in the finals all out to the line with 0 wind.
200m time… 2.5 tenths pb.

No injuries at all.

You guys are crazy! Congrats on all the PB’s but I can’t imagine doing that workout, let alone doing it numerous times! I get nervous doing full speed 60’s or flying sprints!

I wouldn’t be doing anything like that because its too risky this late into the season. I have too much to lose if I get injured doing gimmick type of training method.

Thanks, but why get nervous doing the full 60s/flying sprints? Those are my staple workouts from december to… august :smiley:

High speeds, could lead to injuries. Same reason why Stephen Fran prefer not to do 60’s…

Yes thats true, but how else do you really improve your speed then :confused:

I don’t have any problems with 60’s or flys but races are the best way to improve speed.

How many people run close to race speed in practice even when going all out?

I know an elite 60m sprinter (6.5mid PB) who has a training best of 6.8mid FAT. Most runs are obviously well slower than that, so I don’t see what the hang up is on doing a good amount of submaximal work to improve speed. Hell, if you look at the Bolt workouts posted and what SF has said, the majority of their “speed work” is in the 90-95% area of their personal best and quite relaxed. That on top of a lot of hard acceleration work, good fitness, and some racing… plenty.