Interview with Tudor Bompa

Don’t start that non-sense again. You have already started 50 threads asking the same questions.

Im not starting any non sense. Whenever I see you post I laugh because you guaranteed tyson gay would win because of a “secret” lololol

Good keep laughing, if you want to chat with me start another thread but we all would like for you to keep this thread on topic. Don’t want Rupert to ban ya.

sure buddy

I am sure a guy who produced a world champ and multiple medalists on the world and reigonal level (white athletes, black athletes, etc.) really cares about the value judgment you place on his findings.

Videos for LSU track?You mean DVDs or youtube footage?

In the translated literature the contrast method is a potentiation method in which the training means use first in the session potentiates the performance of the training means used second in the session.

This may be realized in many different ways.

Sprinting

1. Resisted sprint
  2. Unresisted sprint

Throwing

1. heavier implement throw
  2. competition weight throw

Weight Training

1. eccentric supra-maximal load on weight releasers
  2. sub-maximal load lifted concentrically

and so on

In laymen terms it is a method of CNS trickery.

when would you use the overspeed with the contrast method spp or comp?

Verkhoshansky has some about this in one of his papers “Supermethods of Physical Preparation For High Class Athlete” available from his site, under the heading “The Stimulation Method.” He shows a change in the force-time curve of an explosive activity (isometric squat or vertical jump) stimulated by a prior effort against major resistance. Verkhoshansky gives the time to maximum potentiation for the second activity at ~5 minutes.

But when you have this neuromuscular stimulation from the resisted activity AND the second (stimulated) activity is overspeed, you have to be EXTREMELY careful about recovery following the total training session.

I have used the contrast method for vertical jump training with great success; typically employing active recoveries lasting 5-8 minutes between the first and second exercises.

Right, regarding speed training, I personally think it an entirely unnecessary risk to employ such a choice of means (overspeed following an intensive means) as the overspeed is already a very slippery slope.

Resisted sprint followed by unresisted is as far as I’ve gone and both actions have always been 30m or less.

A very questionable program in my view as the instruction of weight training mechanics is clearly haphazard and this combined with such risky speed development tactics makes for an undesirable gamble.

But like most programs that share similar combinations of questionable coaching/programming tactics and sporting success the trend is always continuation as the powers that be rarely possess the awareness to see the training problem and, as a result, the search for improvement typically looks right past what seems obvious from an alternative point of view.

Is there any benefit to alternating the contrasting means set for set…or is it suggested that all potentiating sets precede the normal or overspeed sets?

Here’s some by Brent McFarlane about the theory behind contrast training for sprinting:

The theory behind Contrast Training is that the Resistance component “tricks” the brain into reacting to the added load by firing more neural motor units. When the resistance is removed, this additional firing is incorporated into the desired “overspeed” during the assistance component. The final “real speed” sprint is intended to blend the additional motor units into the desired action in the way it will need to be performed under race or competition conditions.

http://www.performanceworkouts.com/workouts_articles_contrasttraining.shtml

Without the overspeed component you don’t really get the same effect–you are really trying to get additional motor units firing more rapidly.

The key to doing this without injury seems to be to treat it as a VERY high stimulus session (“killer workout,” if you will), not to be done frequently, and to be followed with more than normal amount of rest (the 4 days following in the LSU microcycle seems to be the minimum rest from my experience).

I’m just trying to explain what it is, but make no mistake: It DOES work. I would not be doing this kind of thing every week as LSU seems to be doing: A little of this goes a long way–in fact I doubt the advantage doing this more than twice (declining returns but not declining risk) in a season–and you can see a significant performance boost after ONE session. But it is only going to fit with CFTS at the end of SPP when the other stimulus is reduced.

I don’t know, though, if the additional MaxV effect from the overspeed component that is seen in training for 60m/100m is going to be seen in 40 yard performance for football.

what if instead of towing overspeed you did something on a very windy day (> +5) like sled @ 20% BW into the wind then ‘normal’ reps down wind? :confused: That could have a similar effect but with less risk.

I investigated the potentiating effects of squats on flying-20m sprints in my dissertation. A 4 minute rest period was used. Sprint times were improved but I suspect they may have been faster with a slightly longer recovery.

http://www.charliefrancis.com/community/showthread.php?t=17098&page=2

No worries, I fully understand the mechanism of the methodology. The issue I have is towards what applications I do or do not agree with its use.

The ‘overspeed’ if you will, that I get for my American footballers comes in the form of flying sprints out to 60yds (with 20yd pre-run).

Historically, I’d keep all sprint work under 40yds; however, after seeing the effects of the longer flying sprints on improving 40yd dash times for my pro-day/combine guys I decided to integrate them for my skill guys during the first block of summer training.

Already the results are appreciable as the longer sprints are providing the guys who still have mechanical issues in the upright position a little bit more time to work them out via a verbal cue or two over the span of the 40-60yd work distance.

Yup, I gave this a look when you first posted it.

Yes, the first variant would provide a meaningful stimulus as well as the second; however, in all things, in this case, the dose must be carefully administered.

This isn’t necessarily a case of ‘if 3 is good then 6 must be better’ so I’d caution against looking to create too large a stimulus in either direction (ergo the stimulatory or potentiated load)

Per your example I’d probably first go with the sled sprint with the wind, adjusting the load on the sled accordingly, or simply sprinting without the sled into the wind followed by the unloaded sprint with the wind; but again, I, personally, don’t like the idea of the potentiated sprint extending further then the 30m mark or so.

Remember, the potentiation means that you’re already operating at supra-maximal intensity so when you combine this with distances that stretch into the Max V zone I think you’re really taking your chances as unpotentiated Max V work is high stress enough as it is.

very windy day, >5+
not sure, m/s?
we often have days with wind in the mid-20 Km/h range and some considerably more;
on occasion I have had athletes run with the wind, slow, stop, turn-a-round and run with the wind, most often using approximately half into the wind as with the wind e.g. 30m + 60m and while it may have some value or I may have the numbers a bit “off” the biggest issue seemed to be the very uncontrollable nature i.e. gusts; a “useful”, steady wind is actually pretty difficult to find and that is assuming it is parallel to the track in the first place

I do not know if this has been mentioned as an overspeed method but… what about altitude training as overspeed. Less air resistance, but in very small amounts that wouldnt affect mechanics too much? Every year we see very fast times indoors from some of those meets in colorado and idaho.

Yes I agree. Doing 10s and 20s is great, but little time to correct. I also have used heavier sled sprints early in training phase to work on accel mechanics since run will require more time. This isn’t done long though and we move to lighter sled.

I also like the speeds reached in these sprints to create more reserve in the skill players.