HSI...10x600

Dazed, I am training for the 400. Would you use 300s and 600s both for tempo and for more stressful workouts ie. the last 2-3 runs being difficult and feeling the lactic. Also what rests would you use for both workouts? Thanks.

Dazed, I am training for the 400. Would you use 300s and 600s both for tempo and for more stressful workouts ie. the last 2-3 runs being difficult and feeling the lactic. Also what rests would you use for both workouts? Thanks.

I use 300’s and 600’s for both Aerobic tempo and Anaerobic tempo. It really comes down to how they are run withing the rep itself and the recovery in between which is the determining factor in this regard. For instance if you wanted to force the times down and focus on the aerobic system with the 300’s you may perform a session such as one set of six (w/100m walk rec.) at a consistant effort, however the same volume can be performed with a greater emphasis on the lactate system by say breaking it into 3 sets of 2 reps (100m walk between reps and 300m walk between sets) enabling it to be run at a quicker pace - to add a bit more emphasis on the lactic element of this session the rep itself could be broken down into 2 parts (not a split rep tho) where the first half is slightly easier than usual, however speed and effort are increased for the second 150.

The same thing can be performed with 600’s alter the recoveries, intensities and rep format to suit the need of the session, however - always decide the purpose of the session before you start putting together a general outlay for reps etc.

Depending on the aim of the session we use between 400m and 600m walk between 600m reps.

But don’t look at these figures as some kind of definite rest or interval time. The combinations of distances, the recoveries etc. are only limited by your imagination. Once you’ve done a few of them you’ll think to yourself “Hey thats a good session but how can i spice it up a bit?” and by that stage you’ll have a good enough idea as to how you respond to different rests intensities etc to start putting your individual touch on the sessions. You may decide ladders are a good way to break up the monotony, whatever.

The only thing that i can say is thatthe more variety you put in and between session the better. It aleviates boredom and provides the body with a continually changing stimuli to respond to.

Thanks Dazed. Could you post a sample pre-competition week, perhaps? Helps the understanding…

Dazed -

When do you start working on the lactate system? I thought you could maybe start during the pre-comp. phase, but when I look at some of my workouts, I guess I start in the GPP. Is that okay?

Ex: 3x3x200m w/200m walk rest and 3 min b/t sets (probably a 400m walk, maybe?)

That is an example session for me. Would that be more aerobic or lactate?

Thanks.

Thats 1800m of Volume. How fast do you do them (% of best time)?

75% usually because any slower and I lose form for some reason. I can’t maintain a good form at slow speeds so I go faster. However, I realize that doing reps from about 400m up will have to be slower because I will never be able to finish the workouts if I don’t. Most of my tempo is in the 70-75% range never below, and occassionally, when I drag some sissy want to be sprinter on the track, I might get as high as 79-80%. But that’s only for distances 300m and below.

I would consider 3 x 3 x 200m @ 75% of best time as primarily aerobic.

How would I alter that to work the lactate system and when should I start/how often should I do it?

In the later stages, Ben didn’t go beyond 300m in tempo, but he did sessions of 10x300 in 45 to48sec with a 100m walk recovery. In earlier times he did do 600m breakdowns (600,500,400,300,200,100- with walk equal distance recoveries for tempo work) once a week in the early season.

In earlier times he did do 600m breakdowns (600,500,400,300,200,100- with walk equal distance recoveries for tempo work) once a week in the early season.

What % were they @ Charlie - I’m presuming the usual 65 - 75%

Thanks Dazed. I take that it is best to leave the lactic out during tempo with recovery before next session in mind, and allow lactic to accumulate during other sessions especially in GPP.

sometimes I get dissapointed in this forum. I see that there are some of us who forget the point of this exchange. We are trying to exchange information and experiences, in an effort that we might be able to learn from each other. not to put anyone down or to disrespect the sport. I have learned a lot about other peoples workouts and what might help and I have tried to work them out on paper as I sit at home like the track nerd that I am. some of them work and some of them dont. but I appreciate all of it. I believe that we are all on here because we want to learn and get something useful. lets try not to get into irrelevent debates and do like Rodney King said " Cant we all just get along?"

Charlie, would Bens 10x300 in 45-48 secs be regarded as tempo…I am thinking this session involved lactic accumulation?

Richard, as soon as I saw it I checked! Lets do the math:

Ben was capable of running sub-32 for a 300m. Given conditions & stage of development, that may be as high 34.

34/48 = 70.8%
34/45 = 75.5%

This is within the acceptable range for Tempo, whcih Charlie has outlined for such sessions.

btw I actually have details on a John Smith 400m GPP Microcycle, which contains that 10 x 600m session you were enquiring about. This may put such a session into context for you. I will u2u it on to you as soon as I get it together. If you haven’t received it in a week contact me in case I forget!

Thanks gf, much appreciated. That will be very useful.

Regarding Bens 10x300, if lactic does accumulate and make that session difficult, would it still be regarded as tempo?

Cheers.

I presume such a tempo session would only be done at a speed which could be maintained throughout the session. Having difficulty completing the session? You have run too fast!

Originally posted by Charlie Francis
In the later stages, Ben didn’t go beyond 300m in tempo, but he did sessions of 10x300 in 45 to48sec with a 100m walk recovery. In earlier times he did do 600m breakdowns (600,500,400,300,200,100- with walk equal distance recoveries for tempo work) once a week in the early season.

Thanks, its much appreciated.

To: gf_200 - I would also love to see the programme. Please u2u it to me as well!

The tempo sessions were easy and Ben didn’t feel any lactate at all (which you don’t want with tempo). If you try to maintain the pace that will allow you to finish as you start, you should be alright.

Thanks Charlie, that has clarified tempo and lactate, but would it be useful to use 10x300 in non tempo sessions where lactate accumulates and the session ends difficult?