HSI...10x600

In GPP the HSI 400 training has involved 10x600. How would this be done? I am thinking around 3-4 minutes rest with each 600 completed 15-20 seconds slower than best. Does anyone know the protocol or does anyone use this session?

your wasting your time with these distances.no point,whats the objective.

Originally posted by Richard Hand
In GPP the HSI 400 training has involved 10x600. How would this be done? I am thinking around 3-4 minutes rest with each 600 completed 15-20 seconds slower than best. Does anyone know the protocol or does anyone use this session?

That is still quite fast. I imagine it is substantially slower than that.

X-Man, you say that it’s useless and not worth doing, then go on to ask: Whats the point?.
Shouldn’t you ask the point, get an answer and then decide on it’s usefullness rather than ratting on with garbage which suggests that you’ve already made up your mind?

With that mentality, I don’t think X-Man will be breaking any records in the 400m :stuck_out_tongue:

Heck, we saw what all that over-distance work did for MJ’s 200m, much less the 400m!

first of all,been there-done it-wore the tshirt,i know what the results are and also what my objectives were supposed to be.i was asking the author what his objectives are and what specific purpose will this protocol enable.

10x600 whats the point.

what has 600s and 100s got in common?

nothing!

why?

firstof all, fibre typing from sprinting to long endurance is the opposite thus training the wrong system.sprinting is about recruiting fast twitch fibres not training the opposite.

secondly,mechanically you will be different.this difference in mechanics can hold back speed due to the fact that 600s will affect your sprint technique thus causing you to work on mechanics more rather than working on improving your speed.

guys i do not agree with such runs.i know the hsi team and the smtc guys all do this but whats the point.are such runs going to make YOU faster…no! they will build your endurance but at the same time affect your speed.

if someone can really verify why such workouts are good well post the benefits and i will place a logic answer whyy not to do such workouts.

just because hsi does x workout dosen’t mean YOU should.we are all are different with different approaches and different make-up so place your self as an individual

With 600s I was referring to 400 training. I feel the 600s may stress the CV system more than 300 sessions. The interval 600s would be done in GPP and then 300s and maybe the odd full pace 500 session would take over. Any thoughts?

How often does the HSI group do this workout? It is during the GPP, and as Richard stated, is for the 400m athletes, so I don’t see a huge problem with it. I imagine that such a volume of work during the GPP would allow for a relatively high volume of work later on, perhaps with a different focus, such as resistance training, and would help the organism to recover faster.

It is difficult to look at one training session and judge the whole program by it.

Richard sorry i thought you were commenting on 100/200 metre training.

Some sprinters go on 2-3 mile runs once or twice a week during GPP, some go on 20-30 min runs, smtc guys did this. 10x600 is just another way of getting some cardio work done. Sometimes is hard to get a sprinter to go on a 30min run, however, it may be less chalenging to get him to do ten 600 runs on a nice grass course.

Theone thats true about the 30min jogs but what point was there in doing so.i know its a GPP phase but jogs of such lenght i think are a waste.

personally i think during the GPP phase more emphasis should be on getting ready for getting fast by means of correcting mechanical issues.the sooner you start this work the better as you will be able to focus more on running fast than correcting mechanical issues which can hold the athletes progression.

I’d be interested to see what people are planning to do for GPP this autumn -

I’m personally scared about losing any of the speed I’ve gained this year and want to build on it .

My rest period will probably be 2 weeks of surfing in late sept and I was planning on one grass speed session a week during that time as well as tempo & ab stuff - or should I be taking more rest ?

Intervals such as the 10x600 with short rest are used in preference to miles since the pace can be kept quicker…the rest allows for clearance of some lactic. Due to the quicker pace (therefore higher need for O2, and also waste clearence) stimulation of capillary growth is more favourable, and lactic tolerance can improve moreso as well.

Originally posted by Herb
[b]How often does the HSI group do this workout? It is during the GPP, and as Richard stated, is for the 400m athletes, so I don’t see a huge problem with it. I imagine that such a volume of work during the GPP would allow for a relatively high volume of work later on, perhaps with a different focus, such as resistance training, and would help the organism to recover faster.

It is difficult to look at one training session and judge the whole program by it. [/b]

Agreed 100%

Originally posted by THEONE
Some sprinters go on 2-3 mile runs once or twice a week during GPP, some go on 20-30 min runs, smtc guys did this. 10x600 is just another way of getting some cardio work done. Sometimes is hard to get a sprinter to go on a 30min run, however, it may be less chalenging to get him to do ten 600 runs on a nice grass course.

X-man, a lot of programs are different from Charlie’s when it comes to using intensive tempo runs. 8-10x200 at 80-85% is not that easy without a strong aerobic (extensive)base. In most cases, the better the extensive stuff the better the intensive stuff. Guys doing these long run are in a way training to train.

Originally posted by gloopzilla
[b]I’d be interested to see what people are planning to do for GPP this autumn -

[/b]

Check out my journal :wink:

HSI does a huge amount of overdistance in the GPP… even the 100m runners are big on 300’s and 350’s

Jeez I’m glad i’m not coached by you X-man.

Originally posted by kevinG
HSI does a huge amount of overdistance in the GPP… even the 100m runners are big on 300’s and 350’s

And 400’s and 500’s.

Xman, wake up and look out of the circle just a touch.

What performing tempo over these distances does for an athlete who runs 100’s and 200’s is quite straight forward.

• Dramatically improves vascular development.

• Strngthens connective tissue and ligaments.

• Helps an athlete develop rhythm, posture and helps ingrain firing patterns.

• Toughens the Athlete mentally making shorter special endurance runs seem like a piece of piss.

• Depending on how they are run develops lactate tolerance.

What does any of this have to do with running 100m or 200m? Nothing - if this is the only training you do. But we call this the General Preparation Phase, which means we are preparing the body for more specific training loads later in the training season. Better CV and lactate systems will improve the rate of recovery down the track SIGNIFICANTLY whether you do regular tempo or not.

The duration of the GPP phase is not long enough to start changing fiber types, infact you will find that there is a significant increase in diameter of the faster twitch fibers over this period (up to eight weeks). Any speed loss is a result peripheral nervous system changes and can be minimized by maintaining a decent weights programme. During this time if posture is emphasized then no adverse effect will cross over to sprint technique - yes it makes the reps a hell of a lot harder but it is worth it.

Tell me what is emphasizing speed work ALL year round going to do for your athlete? Most athletes will hit a plateau after around 8-9 weeks of speed and need a new type of training stimulus before they can start making gains again.

You seem so quick to use the “individualize” label, yet don’t appear to actually understand what it entails.

Dazed are we talking about 8/6’s or 300/400s during GPP for a 100m sprinter.i am basing my opinion on a 100/200 sprinter.300/350s are a great distance for a 1/200m sprinter but 6/800s are rediculous.

i have strong feelings why a 1/200m sprinter should avoid such runs at 6-800m because i have been there and have regrets that i have done so but as part of a team i had to do so.

I rather like longer runs during the Gpp phase. there are several benefits to this. one it builds strength. if you are a 400m - 200m runner the 600m will do great things for you when you move to a pre comp stage. remember you are working on improving the overall strength and threshold of the body. two it increases your V02 intake levels. this allows you to work longer and recover faster when you are working on speed endurance such as 150’s and 120’s. it cuts recovery time down and allows for quality to last longer into the workout. it is also giving you a great energy source that 100m sprinters dont have, nor do they need. this is why elite 100m sprinters dont attempt the 400m because they are not training this energy source that a 200m - 400m runner is. Charlie has a great point when he talks about training for the 100m he says to first train speed then your speed endurance. meaning why train speed endurance when you dont have any speed. ( I apologize if this is misrepresented ) however this is opposite when you are talking about a 400m runner. first you train strength and endurance then you work speed in as you cut down the endurance. this makes speed work much more valuable because a 400m runner is working 120’s as opposed to 30’s for a 100m runner. I hope this makes sense.