analyse this

Usain Bolt 19.59 lausanne 2009

carmelita jeter (left) and sally-anne fraser, lausanne 2009

BOLT: HIGH FOOT CARRY, T/E IN THE SUPPORT LEG

Here is a link of me doing a flying sprint. Can yall critique my form?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RMq7h8pZKk

Is this “stepping over”?

Yes it is IMO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RMq7h8pZKk

Pausing sucks… A slower mo would have been much easier.
however,
1 - No hip height at all - your sitting throughout
2 - not much knee height

Well, you can’t be 100% certain from this shot but all the precursors are in place and it would require a complete collapse of his normal form (seen here) for him not to complete the stride cycle by “stepping over” (or at least across) the knee of the supporting leg. The thing with Bolt is he virtually never collapses at the knee during the step-over, so he picks up all sorts of advantages in terms of power output and returned (into and back from the ground). What you see from this photo is a great set-up to deliver excellent frontside mechanics (read, knee lift) again without sacrificing so-called “Triple Extension” (T/E) of the hip, knee and ankle joints in the supporting leg. As Charlie has said, the ability to handle the shock of landing enables virtually everything else to follow.
:cool:

His left foot is kept really high. It looks like it’s making him lean over to the right a little bit. Is it alright if you do that to make stepping over a little easier?

so what am I supposed to do to fix my specific technical problems

The first 3 strides look active then you almost look like you’re shutting down again…if this is a flying run the beginning should be gradual with a definative move later on down the line. I dont see this happening…its kinda like one pace from the 3-4 stride.

Someone else commented on the low knee lift. I too can see that. There’s no pop of the track either (I can hear that from the sound of the feet landings). Next time try a build up zone of 40m (this give you plenty of time to get the form into the cones) with a 20-30m fly zone:

0—build up zone—40m>>>30m fly<<<

A little update on my form:

I would like to hear your opinions on my arm action. The first vid is part of a 3.87v 30m (lj runup) were I used one cue for the arm drive and in the second one (easy sfs) another. The later was filmed more recently and my leg mechanics seem to have improved(total step over, straight leg at ground contact, much much better torso posture, high hips, I am running tall) but the arm action worries me since it seems to be somehow robotic (xavier carter esque). The changes in leg and torso action don’t have anything to do with the arms cue. My arm angles also seem to be a little bit more retained

30m:

//youtu.be/pk2OgJYeCFY

//youtu.be/Q5K8-1rdhkY

sfs:

//youtu.be/vwUPHho_mSY

Btw does someone remember I posted last year asking about groin issues? I worked a lot on mobility and you can clearly see the results in the third vid.

I also use this post to ask about the role of retained arm angles. In a 100m race is it wise to run normally untill 60m were progressive retainment of arm angles could be used for energy sparing purposes? Many 200m runners seem to use this arm drive.

Thanks a lot.

Hey! Easy there guy! I’m joking here!!

Myriam Soumare beats veteran Christine Arron over 100m in the 2009 French Championships