What is your power clean

LOL Shumon!

I don’t want to take walk, eat chacalet, look at aneemals

Originally posted by CoolColJ
here is a vid someone sent me, of a propely trained female olylifter - although still a begineer.

notice the back angle.

right click and save it if it cuts off short - tehre should be a jerk afterwards as well.

At least its a little bit better than the last example. I hope its a PB attempt and not a typical training session. I certainly wouldn’t inflict this sort of torture on a sprinter. :o

That is what Olylifters do, squat cleans - that is their competitive lift :slight_smile:

It’s like saying the same thing about sprinting - I wouldn’t inflict torture on an Olylifter by making them sprint :stuck_out_tongue:

Originally posted by CoolColJ
It’s like saying the same thing about sprinting - I wouldn’t inflict torture on an Olylifter by making them sprint :stuck_out_tongue:

Oh yes, sorry, for a second there I thought we were on a sprint training site…

She is an olylifter

but that is how you start a proper powerclean. A power clean is not the same as a deadlift to your shoulder.

In that link you posted Col you can see the starting angle of her back stays pretty constant and her arms are like “ropes” for the first part of the pull. Hanging straight.

She is rising but maintaining the same angle. That is ok as far as technique goes. Ideally she would have her butt a little lower in the start position and then raise maintaining a little better back angle but it is pretty good.

cheers,
Chris

Back angle is highly variable, it depends on the lifter’s structure

but basicly you want the shoulders to be in front of the bar, hips higher than the knees, and that the centre of gravity is over the bar. Otherwise the weight will pull you forward and you will have to swing the weights up.

My problem is with the changing back angle. I don’t think its safe, plus from a sprinters perspective, we are interested in developing muscles for sprinting, not for getting weights up at any cost, which is, of course what weightlifters train for.

I wouldn’t like someone new to sprinting to come onto this site and start doing stuff like this and put themselves out of the sport before they even start.

dcw - I’m not quite sure what you mean by changing back angle. The angle at the hips obviously has to change in order to complete a clean or power clean. Are you objecting to rounding of the lower back, because I don’t see it in this clip.

Here is a quality example. I took this off No.2’s post. Very good execution and most importantly, very safe.

This message will push my example to the next page to help illustrate.

Now look at this. The hips start to go up while the bar is still on the floor. She is transferring force THROUGH her lower back in a whip like effect. The example above uses her glutes/legs to do the work.

DCW: The second lift is fine, once the bar leaves the platform the angle remains ~constant and the lower back retains its arch. Many elite lifters will in fact raise their hips before initiating the pull.

I must be going boss eyed then because I could swear her lower back is all over the place. Look at frames 3 & 4.

Either way, for a sprinter, I would have to go for stricter form. Too much risk v benefit. The girl at the top is rock solid.

anyway here is a good page to analyse form of elite lifters

http://www.olympiclifting.citymax.com/page/page/149077.htm

I wouldn’t exactly call this good technique. Look at how far her shins are from perpendicular to the ground once the bar crosses the knees. That means the bar must be futher from her body (=inefficiency + injury waiting to happen). Also, her butt starts too low. The site posted earlier with the elite lifters displayed excellent technique, particularly with regards to the Russians. Also, the girl that you said makes you cringe has what I would consider to pretty good technique. I don’t really understand what is so bad about the changing back angle. If you are controlled off the floor (as you should be), this angle isn’t a problem. If you explode of the floor like a shot out of a cannon, then of course, it is a problem. But this isn’t what good lifters do.

205lbs reverse curl. :o

hang clean is 220 lbs. back squat is 435.

Power Clean is 320
Back Squat is 440
bodyweight is 205

Rob

Hey guys, this is my first time on this…how is everybody?
My clean is low because I don’t do them to often…about 225 max! My max squat (deep) to the ground has been 515 pounds, max bench has been 350 pounds (don’t do that anymore cause of rotator problems). My weight fluctuates from 170-175 pounds, I have trouble getting my weight low…I need to get to 155 cause I am a long jumper in Canada and I weigh to much for my height (5’7). Also how do you post a question…I have a question about jumping! If anybody could help I’d appreciate it