what if i dont do tempo?..

Originally posted by mj
Kebba,

I do two tempo sessions per day. Before breakfast 10 x 100m w/ 30 seconds rest. I don’t worry about the time in the times of the 100’s in the morning, but in the afternoon they are 16 seconds. By doing tempo in the morning I stay very lean.

mj, what do you do in the 2nd session of tempo? Do you do the same thing as in the 1st session or do you do a different routine?

i do the same workout, except in the afternoon i time my 100’s. hurdle mobility is also done.

Hmmm…I will try that MJ.

Thanks, mj! I might try 2 tempo workouts a day.

From what I have read MJ lives minutes away from the track…I live within walking distance from a wonderful surface so things are cool.

I like the idea of 2 Tempo Sessions per day, but I guess a word of caution is needed here - I see the word OVERTRAINING jumping out at me.

It could easily become an issue if the Tempo isn’t monitored carefully…

So anyone starting 2 sessions per day - take it easy and eat very well.

overtraining isn’t an issue if you look at how my tempo is laid out. i only do 4 more 100’s than i did before. there is more hurdle mobility though, but that is just a stretching technique. i like the morning workout before breakfast. it will really keep you lean.

I agree MJ - that was in essence my point - your Tempo seems sensible - but I could just imagine others thinking “hmmm Tempo twice a day - lets do it” and not considering the TOTAL quantity of tempo being performed and not provding adequate rest and nutrition.

Training INCORRECTLY twice a day is major cause of overtraining.

distributing the workload requires carefull attention to outside variables such as driving…TV1285 knows the real deal…just going to the track can be a stressfull event.

Originally posted by Clemson
distributing the workload requires carefull attention to outside variables such as driving…

Excellent point. A bad car seat will undo all the work of a good therapist in a matter of hours.

Haha… My car has some of the worst car seats in the world!! Extremely uncomfortable! I do 1600m of tempo/workout, so I was just planning on splitting it up into 2 sessions. 8x100 in the 1st and the same in the 2nd. I’m thinking about adding some more sit-ups and push-ups b/w sets. Does this sound good?

Only if your HR is in a steady state…

One of my athletes (400m) went on his first European tour. Talking to his international agent about programming the man could not believe our method of training (Charlie’s way). Especially the tempo, the short to long, and the absence of training at race speed (moderate).

I am sure there are a LOT of things that I don’t know yet (about Charlie’s training ideas), but at this stage the above mentioned have changed my attitude, as well as my training programmes. The most important - it sounds so logical, when one thinks about it.

The only problem is, the agent tries to persuade my (young) athlete to go back to training at race pace, and to forget about tempo at a slow pace - and this brings a lot of tension and pressure … he has to have confidence in his coach … but the agent is suppose to know something … !!!

I know an athlete needs an agent - but sometimes I wish coaches could put them in front of a firing squad!!!

Many agents were former sprinters…the speed work will improve the athlete provided the SE qualities are constant.

Most good agents are aware of how sub45 runners train…

Clemson - I don’t understand your comment.

scarface - do you mean the problem is with my (Charlie’s) training methods? My feeling is that this agent (although he has several good athletes in his group) is not aware of this way of training.

Not necessarily…Charlie’s methods might very well produce a sub45 sprinter.

The major issue is the type of training that has worked thus far is the “traditional method.” Most agents are aware of this. So to tell them that something else can work just as well or even better…becomes a difficult proposition…

You should tell the agent that Charlie’s “shocking” methods produced 4 women under 51 seconds of which 2 ran under 50 seconds. Tell the agent to stick to his job and you’ll do yours.

Sounds like an agent with Carribean athletes to me…