Weightlifting Shoes

I’ve been contemplating purchasing a weightlifting shoe, but not sure what to look for, brand, heel height, etc…

Would this be a valuable investment since I regularly perform squats, Olympic lifts, pulls, etc.? I do all these movements in regular cross training shoes, but have noticed they aren’t the best for these movements in terms of stability.

I would think the solid sole plus a slight heel lift would give an advantage to lifting performance, technique, stability, etc…

My two cents, I probably wouldnt invest in them. If you were a former athlete now turned lifter etc I probably would (someone like James Smith). I could list a 100 other things you should spend your money on.

Thanks for the feedback, yeah I was just thinking that for the money, I could probably get some other useful tools, products, etc for training. Thanks!

I started wearing weightlifting shoes about 2-3 months ago for all my squats & olympic lifts. Historically I did minimal quad work and lifted in Chuck Taylor’s exclusively. Now I have quadriceps tendonitis in one knee which I think is a combination of a freak stretching accident and the extra quad loading in training.

That being said, I do feel really good besides the nagging tendonitis issues. I have tied PR levels in vertical and hit new PRs in bounding exercises despite the pain. It remains to be seen if it negatively affects my top end and I end up with a blown hammy (had a very minor hammy strain a couple weeks ago).

What kind of problems are you having training in your trainers?

So the lifting shoes were responsible for your jump pr’s?

Extra quad loading. Jumping likes quads. I predict they will be responsible for PRs to 30m and possibly career ending injuries lol.

Not much just feel kind of… Unstable when the loads start to get up in the 85%+ range. Not a big deal but noticeable.

I never used weightlifting shoes so I dont know. You should try squatting barefoot like James, lol.

Try converse all-starts / chuck taylors. I can’t stand it when my guys are trying to squat 300-400 in shoes with like 3/4" of squishy padding causing them to either pronate or supinate way more than they would in a flat shoe with no give/padding.
Edit: I will often ask my people to squat barefoot vs wearing “cushioned” running shoes.

Damn, career ending hamstring injury, goodluck with that man.

Exactly my problem right there- squatting in the 300-400 range in asics is tough when you’re trying to correct the overpronation/supination lol. I’ll probably give chuck t’s a go soon.

Damn you would have a heart attack if you were training the MVP training group.

lol, no such chance of squatting bare foot in most gyms, you’ll get the ass… no shoes no gym

WR-

If you regularly perform the olympic lifts, I’d highly recommend getting shoes.
Doing the lifts in them is “easier”, but I’d argue that it is safer doing them as well.
Why?
Under heavy loads, regular sneakers/running shoes have too much instability. A lifter does not want the sole of the shoe to twist or turn. The wooden style sole of a weightlifting shoe provides the solid support needed, especially when doing the jerk.

Good luck!

The dude is after weightlifting shoes…not a lecture!! WR look at getting some Adidas ones.I’m not sure where you’re based so I’ve attached a link for a US site…

http://www.dynamic-eleiko.com/products/shoesFR.html

I use the adidas ones in blue/white and black. Makes my lifting much easier.

He’s a college athlete not a weighlifter, before spending a 100 bucks on shoes I would use that money and buy training tools (books, cam, timing device etc)…

I would recomend getting a pair if you have the means. Mine have lasted 2 years and show no signs of wear. It’s worthy investment especially if your lifting several times a week. I got my Do-Wins for $75.

Hmm, weightlifting shoes…maybe that’s why a lot of people on this forum claim to run well under 4.00 for 30m yet run 12.00 in the 100.
Weightlifting shoes are great for quad development but poor for people who are aiming at posterior chain work. Even the deepest squat in WL shoes doesn’t hit the backside as well as a decent squat in chuck taylors. Going along with that, I would almost guarantee you 99% of the top 100/200m guys aren’t using WL shoes.