unique periodization and always working....!

The organism of an athlete and the adaptation process don’t know that a week has 7 days. We plan our training programs and we care about the days. The following periodization is for 200m - 400m and it cycles the training days without “thinking” about… Sunday.
It is giving always good results…

Mesocycles
Basic Preparation: 6 weeks (3 microcycles x2)
Specific 1: 20 days (3 days hard work +1 day recovery) x5
Specific 2: 25 days ( 3 days hard work + 2 days recovery) x5
Pre-competition:20 days (2 days hard work + 2 days recovery) x5
Competition: 1+1

Between the mesocycles there is a recovery week in order to let the body overcompensate to the next intensity level.
Any comments?

One of the best points of the year. Why havent we talked about this more. A weekly schedule does not have to follow a seven day pattern. Powerlifters have proved this cylcling lifts in and out and putting them on rotation and variaring up the rest time between lifts. So back to the point. A week doesnt have to be seven days. As far as sprinting is concerned Especially when dealing with highschool athletes who dont do any recovery at all. Why cant we expand the schedule to a 9-10 days = one week. Such as for a hs athlete. It makes since to me. Also another issue which is dodged on this forumn is the 4 week cycle. Why four weeks. Could we do three weeks or six weeks. Could we alter it. Could we start out with 3 week cycles and progress to four weeks. And finally the loading for speedwork where volume is gradually increased to week 4 and then cut back doesnt make sense. Why not start off with a high load at 90% then cut back as you go into 100% work to allow for greater recovery with higher quality work. Also by week three your body is beat up. Why do more work on this week then the start of the cycle… Arent the students suppossed to question to expand on the ideas of the past. Anyone like to comment?

linarski,
good point. i do agree with all of your statements, but is it possible that throughout the years we have actually programmed the body be somewhat on a schedule?

To ESPN3:
We benefit from the training process and we adaptate to it as long we are active. When someone stops training he get back to prior training state condition, right? So we can always “re-programme” our body to any scedule.

To Timothy Lane:
The East Germans find out that a 21 day cycle has the best adapation. From experience and statistics, injuries in sprint training are happening between day 15 - 21 of a 3 week mesocycle. This is logic if you consider the “transformation” which is happening in the body of the athlete and the tiredness of the training itself. That’s why the recovery week is planted here. My believe is that mesocycles more than 20 - 25 days for a sprinter is not correct. I would, in some cases, even go to shorter training periods (like 16 days with 4 days recovery. In this case I would repeat the cycle, before move on to the next stage).

linarski
Nice post re the cycles, but whats the content…are we talking about KK’s training or is this some of your own stuff.
PS I think the 7 day cycle works well if you have to work as it allows you to take ouside stresses (Work ect) into account in assigning the training stress for each day.

aj this is mine idea. I worked like this and I have to say that all athletes improved and enhance performances.
The content is (for 200m):
Anaerobic lactate capacity
V-max
Anaerobic a-lactate Power

…and it cycles. The idea behind this periodization is actually based on East German philosophy. Cycling the training stimulus frequently, so adaptation will occur faster.

KK is more extreme on this although he is also changing again his workouts.

KK is changing his workouts??? I thought his sessions (in a phase) remained the same and were repeated 5 days per week .

so on your three days of hard work in the specific cycle what would you do each day… I like the Idea, just trying to get it clear in my head.

If KK is changing his workouts, what are they begining to lok like now. Is he still doing allmost entirely 200m reps?

Originally posted by aj
KK is changing his workouts??? I thought his sessions (in a phase) remained the same and were repeated 5 days per week .

so on your three days of hard work in the specific cycle what would you do each day… I like the Idea, just trying to get it
clear in my head.

As I wrote before:
The content for 200m is:
Anaerobic lactate capacity
example: (200 - 300) x2-3 R=2min Set=6-8min or 6x200 R= 2min
V-max (speed work 20mflying etc)
Anaerobic a-lactate Power
100 - 150 - 200
long rest / max intensity

Stay tuned on the values we train you can always find different workouts.

linarski:
Injuries occur at the later stages of ANY intensification scheme- if it progresses too rapidly for the time frame available, whether it’s a 2 + 1 or a 3 + 1 progression schedule.
Let’s say you use a 40 week training season, with an annual goal of 50,000m of intense sprinting…
In a 2 + 1 scheme, this must be accomplished in approx 26 weeks (time for 13.3 cycles) or 1923m/wk.
In a 3 + 1 scheme, this must be accomplished in 30 weeks (time for 10 cycles) or 1666m/wk.
There are, obviously many factors to consider in making the choice, beyond straight numbers, such as the division of the speed work (3 [Sp,SE,Sp] or 4 [Sp,SE,Sp,SE] sessions per week), the use of tempo, and, of course, the level of the athlete.

Charlie:

Originally posted by Charlie Francis
linarski:
Injuries occur at the later stages of ANY intensification scheme- if it progresses too rapidly for the time frame available, whether it’s a 2 + 1 or a 3 + 1 progression schedule.

I agree, but you obviously didn’t saw the recovery week between each mesocycle.
Also, I think that to plan a certain total quantity of speed work as you are mentioning in your example isn’t neceserely right. In practice rarely an athlete is doing what the coach designed at home. There are always changes of the last minute.
The example I gave in the begining with the periodization was for a preparation season of a total of 110 days prior to 1st competition.

Yes. I didn’t put the recovery weeks (or sections of…) in the example, but the principle is the same. We used approx 5 days after the 1st block, 3 to 7 days after the second (depending on comp travel), and sometimes shorter multi-day recoveries, if needed. The point is that ANY scheme can work that allows for adequate compensation from the workload.

For full-time athletes in track and field, changing the length of a week is probably fairly easy to achieve, but for those of us who are not full time or if you are involved in a sport like football where the competition cycle is based weekly, it is more difficult from a practical standpoint to change it.

For example, it is much easier for family and friends to know that I am training every day except Saturday so if they need to plan day trips, then make it Saturday or else I won’t be there :slight_smile:

Linarski:

As the peridization scheme You posted looks intriguing in the proposed means of alternating frequencies of stimuli exposure,and You just described some of the nature of the stimulation,I am wondering how other “high intensity” components (weights,plyos) are cycled accordingly and if any “low intensity” ones (tempo) are present .

Thanks.

Originally posted by pakewi
Linarski:

As the peridization scheme You posted looks intriguing in the proposed means of alternating frequencies of stimuli exposure,and You just described some of the nature of the stimulation,I am wondering how other “high intensity” components (weights,plyos) are cycled accordingly and if any “low intensity” ones (tempo) are present .

Thanks.

pakewi,

Usually on day 2 & 4 we do upper strength work while on days 1 & 3 we work on Plyos or weightlifting for the legs depending on the training mesocycle we are at the moment. As I’m a plyo-fan I use to shift my strength training as soon as possible to it.

This year we invested to buy an apparatus called NEMES in order to train speed and power but also to enhance recovery. There has been a lot of discussion about it also in this forum.
I have to admit (although I have done no research and no double cross study) that the results so far were impresive. I could limit the amount of plyos and strength work in training and do more speed work in Specific 2 phase, precompetition and competition phase.

If you want to read some more info on NEMES you can visit: www.elitesportservices.com/en/bosco.shtml

Originally posted by xlr8
For full-time athletes in track and field, changing the length of a week is probably fairly easy to achieve, but for those of us who are not full time or if you are involved in a sport like football where the competition cycle is based weekly, it is more difficult from a practical standpoint to change it.

For example, it is much easier for family and friends to know that I am training every day except Saturday so if they need to plan day trips, then make it Saturday or else I won’t be there :slight_smile:

my friend you might be right, but I don’t care about the friends and family of my athletes. The only thing that actually maters to me is to work as more efficiently possible on them and to improve their performance. Besides that’s why they pay me for.
:wink:

Originally posted by linarski

[quote]Originally posted by xlr8
… for those of us who are not full time or if you are involved in a sport like football where the competition cycle is based weekly, it is more difficult from a practical standpoint to change it. …

… but I don’t care about the friends and family of my athletes. The only thing that actually maters to me is to work as more efficiently possible on them and to improve their performance. … :wink: [/quote]

Two good points - perhaps outlinling the difference between Pro and Am athletes.

Personlly I would regard it as difficult and perhaps not entirely sensible to ignore the influence and importance of family and friends on an athelete.

While I acknowldege that they do and can bring associated stresses (i.e. girlfriends, wives, mistresses etc. :-)) - they also bring a unparralleled support group, that are a very big part of the athletes life experience and IMO must be considered - be cause they cannot be ignored for ever.

A ‘happy’ athlete is an important ingredient for sucess?

What do others think - without going into specifics …

:slight_smile:

Originally posted by linarski
my friend you might be right, but I don’t care about the friends and family of my athletes. The only thing that actually maters to me is to work as more efficiently possible on them and to improve their performance. Besides that’s why they pay me for.
:wink:

I guarantee that if an athlete is having problems at home with their relationships that they will not reach their potential with respect to performance. Mental stress has significant physical side-effects.

I’m not saying that you should tailor your schedule around an athlete’s social life, but if you neglect the impact that their associates have on them, then you are missing a significant aspect of their overall situation. A weekly schedule gives athlete’s a nice easy way to avoid conflicts with family since it is easy for them to understand that every Monday we do… and every Saturday we do…

So when will KK be competing?

I currently use 2 on: 1 easy. and I also use a 7 day week training cycle.

Why?

2:1 no fitness and trying to make sure I have an easy week regularly. I will look at going to 3:1 at a later stage. I have found that after 3 weeks of harder training I tend to fly close to injuries
I use 7 days training week - because it is easy to plan what I have to do and manage this time. Work fulltime, study part time, coach 3 times a week and train 6 days a week and doing up a house.