unique periodization and always working....!

Originally posted by xlr8
[:wink:

I guarantee that if an athlete is having problems at home with their relationships that they will not reach their potential with respect to performance. Mental stress has significant physical side-effects.

I’m not saying that you should tailor your schedule around an athlete’s social life, but if you neglect the impact that their associates have on them, then you are missing a significant aspect of their overall situation. A weekly schedule gives athlete’s a nice easy way to avoid conflicts with family since it is easy for them to understand that every Monday we do… and every Saturday we do… [/quote]

You might be right but still to reach the top this means that you are different than average people who are doing average things. Its all about priorities. Will you go on vacation when your girlfriend wants to go or will you go on a training camp because there is a World Championship after 2 months to compete. And its different if your goal is just to compete or if you want to go home with the Gold.
I think that a life of a Champion or a life of someone who wants to become a champion or to stay at the Top (even more harder) needs to be different of ordinary athletes and people. The demants are so much higher.
Finally, there will always be time for a weekend off and nice vacation and everything else when you retired as pro-athlete. And believe me if you was a succesfull one you will have more things to talk about too!
:wink:

Originally posted by linarski
You might be right but still to reach the top this means that you are different than average people who are doing average things. Its all about priorities. Will you go on vacation when your girlfriend wants to go or will you go on a training camp because there is a World Championship after 2 months to compete. And its different if your goal is just to compete or if you want to go home with the Gold.
I think that a life of a Champion or a life of someone who wants to become a champion or to stay at the Top (even more harder) needs to be different of ordinary athletes and people. The demants are so much higher.
Finally, there will always be time for a weekend off and nice vacation and everything else when you retired as pro-athlete. And believe me if you was a succesfull one you will have more things to talk about too!
:wink:

Agreed. My point is not that you should compromise your training for family and friends but on the other hand, you can’t ignore the very real effects they can have.

A very wise coach once said “You can’t be a normal boy and an athlete of excellence.”

You can say that again and again and again…

:clap:

Linarski.

Our sprint group has been cycling 10-day cycles for quite some time now. I agree with you that the original 7-day cycle is simply not as good.

excellent post.

Linarski.

can you provide basic details of your GP, SP1, SP2 and comp plan in terms of what the hard days entail. I am extemely intersted in your thoughts.

Originally posted by speed freek
Linarski.

can you provide basic details of your GP, SP1, SP2 and comp plan in terms of what the hard days entail. I am extemely intersted in your thoughts.

Well the idea is very simple (and it works!!!):
Basic Preparation the microcycle is 3 days long and it repeats itself twice inside the week. Usually I go for 6 weeks. No rush !
Twice a day training. Running in the afternoons and weights in the morning.
A lot of uphill runs (short and long), stairs and also aerobic - anaerobic capacity runs in parks and forest.

In SP 1 the values I work are anaerobic lactate capacity, Anaerobic alactate power, and anaerobic lactate -alactate power. I start aslo to include more jumps in my training. (I’m a plyo fan).

In SP 2 lactate capacity remains but is getting less. Lactate and alactate power is present as well as more speed work.
Weights are now done more explosive. Jumps are always present (plyo’s).

The training distances I use are up to 300’s. and the quantity doesn’t excess 1200m (for lactate capacity) or 500m (for V-max).

But , you know I’m a good listener and always before training I want to hear from my athletes how they feel. If an athlete is not 100% ready to execute the workout this is a good reason for a possible injury to come.