Tyson Gay / Lance Brauman Training

Lance’s criminal record will likely prevent him from working at a university ever again.

He has a pro group down in Florida. Quite a big one I think, including Steve Mullings and Dwight Thomas, along with other names.

So does anyone have any info on the type of work he does?

Dwight is now coached by Dennis Mitchell (since he switched to hurdles).

I think Jon’s emphasis has been on execution of the “drive phase” rather than improving the speed of the 30m? hoping that tyson can reap the rewards further down the track? Is that not the theory behind the “drive phase”? I’m not sure how much tyson’s execution has changed though? But lets say tyson A can only “drive” for 20m and tyson B can drive for 35m but they are both running 3.80sec… would you not agree that tyson B is capable of running sub 3.80 if he got up tall and running at 20m? I don’t know if i’m making sense… it makes sense in my head??? :rolleyes: I would have to watch some clips of tyson and see whether his “drive phase” has improved since he started working with Jon. However I don’t think Usain at 6ft 5 should be beating tyson to 30m ??

http://www.lequipe.fr/EquipeInside/lequipe-inside-Tyson.html

Report on Tyson’s training with video.

A day in Tyson’s life (February 2010) :

• 7:30-9:00 Weights in the gym (general work)
  • 9:30-12:00 Accels on track using sled
  • 12:00-12:30 Pool tempo workout

Thanks PJ,
That’s some wild stuff there: especially the rope work and some of the throwdown action with the heavy medball…generally it’s great to see the top people working out. He looked a bit uncomfortable in the deep water, but he was a rocket on the sled :slight_smile:

He is currently dealing with hamstring issue and spending some time in Germany. Bolt is supposed to be there as well…

Looks like he just went to a PerformBetter seminar and implemented every exercise.

This is the strength coach Tyson hired, according to the article
http://www.ignitefitness.org/index.php/trainers/chase-kough

Seems quite strange…since Brauman has a couple of DVDs also, featurning strength training sections

That is hilarious. Perhaps they should look to throwing some sponsorship money his way.

How do you hire some relative newbie (graduated in 2006) to handle Tyson Gay?

Can we all agree that the exercises shown in that video have nothing to do with running fast (aside from the sled pull perhaps). I’m sure that many of you watched that video, like me, and said, “Wow, if this is what he does and he still runs 9.7 seconds in the 100m, imagine if he trained properly.”

The other side of the coin is that perhaps these activities have absolutely no bearing on sprint speed (positively or negatively) and he’s just working on the low intensity side of the spectrum (i.e. burning calories). Until we see what he is doing on the track, it is hard to assess the overall program.

However, the evil side of me hopes he gets injured and runs crappy times so that I don’t have to spend a good deal of my time explaining to people why all those shitty exercises do not need to be part of a speed program. As soon as someone brings out the kettlebells and ropes, you know something is wrong. The bio on the trainer was laughable.

Yes - he posted the standard Personal Trainer testimonials…

“Chase’s classes are the short and sweet of hardcore total body training! Never get bored with his fast paced, motivating, forever changing classes!” S. White

“Training with Chase has completely changed my life. I am stronger both physically and mentally! The results are absolutely incredible, however, they are not given they are earned! Whatever it takes…” P. Ficquette

“Since I have started Chase’s class my endurance has improved tremendously! I love the anticipation of what the next class will bring and the challenge it gives me!” F. Santana

“Chase fucked me up and now I run the 100m in 11 seconds. But I’m great at using a bull whip!” Tiesome Hay

Age is not a factor. As NumberTwo said, all this is low intensity work in the gym, and as no direct influence on sprint ability. All those exercises could be replaced by other exercises.
They are perfomed before the actual workout at the track under Lance’s guidance, so obviously this gym work is at best a warm-up.

Lance also knows how to coach for starting blocks, but Tyson chose Jon Drummond’s advices for that.

NumberTwo : lol with your posts :slight_smile:

Aside from the core work that’s basically just that… core work… why’s he doing all that non sense lol.

I liked the part where Tyson is trying to extend at the shoulder while doing the dumbbell exercises, but is instructed to extend at the elbow instead. Full extension at the (right) elbow, of course, is the main technical flaw in his acceleration mechanics. This is clearly evident in the sled accelerations shown in the video.

does anyone have any idea of what hes doing in the pool? looks like awkward treading to me…

Pool workouts, according to the paper article, are done three times a week after track, Tyson saying he likes it especially after starting block practice.
Example of a pool cession:

• High knees sets in 1m50 water depth
  • acceleration with aquajogging belt : 6 to 12 x 30sec with 1min rest.

Am sure that rope thing requires a lot of coordination. Especially the arm swing…