Workout setup question. Feedback Needed!

I’m an avid believer in lifting after you sprint. I’m also not sure that you’re increasing the amount of high intensity sessions by splitting sprinting and weight sessions to different days. Furthermore, if you were to increase the amount of high intensity days it would prove detrimental in the long run. I wouldn’t try to deviate from Charlie’s system. Your CNS system has a greater capacity for work and it would be far more beneficial to get it done in one day. Sprinting, weights, and plyos in moderation could be performed without overloading your CNS. You will recover in about 2 days even though you will still feel soreness. Remember the goal of a successful workout session would be to work just under your CNS threshold to achieve the benefits of supercompensation.

I’m an avid believer in lifting after you sprint. I’m also not sure that you’re increasing the amount of high intensity sessions by splitting sprinting and weight sessions to different days. Furthermore, if you were to increase the amount of high intensity days it would prove detrimental in the long run. I wouldn’t try to deviate from Charlie’s system. Your CNS system has a greater capacity for work and it would be far more beneficial to get it done in one day. Sprinting, weights, and plyos in moderation could be performed without overloading your CNS. You will recover in about 2 days even though you will still feel soreness. Remember the goal of a successful workout session would be to work just under your CNS threshold to achieve the benefits of supercompensation.

So far this plans seems to be working well. We had a workout yesterday that was tough but we made it through. We had some season best lifts in the squat after the workout also.

Hay Chris, I have much to learn, but so far what has helped me is taking every 3rd week off from sprinting on the track completely. During that 3rd week I keep the tempo and the weights the same.

I found that when I sprinted week, to week, to week, to week, my CNS felt as thought it was getting dimmer and dimmer.

Yea that is another idea also. I used to do that also. after every 3-4 week block. Gives the body a chance to recharge and mentally makes you really want to get back at it

Hi Chris, I think that 2 week rotation should help, I still think that the speed volume in the GPP and SPP S-L is too much for 10.5 + athletes. I cut down the volume 2 winters back and it still wasn’t enough, my guys were trashed by mid december and raced badly in January. It was a bad experience so switched to L-S last winter but have set up the S-L with further reduced volume on both the hills and track work. I reckon it will work.

SPP1 Looks like this

Sunday Plio (vertical) + Weights
Monday Rest
Tues Speed + Weights
Wed Tempo 1500m
Thu Speed Endurance e.g. 2x4x60m + Weights
Friday Tempo 1800m
Sat Rest

Good luck with it all, keep us informed.

Abit off topic but anyone got any personal recommendations on weekly speed volume, in their experience?

I’m 22, 3 years proper training before injury year 2008/2009. I ran 10.70 off only one 4-week CF cycle, post-ankle operation. I aiming 6.7 indoors.

But this year i’ll also be jumping, short approach long and triple 1x per week SPP. And I’ll take run-ups directly out of the speed volume.

What volumes have worked for you personally?

Thanks

Yea that plan looks good. My partner wants to switch to a sun , tues, friday plan with speed on those days and tempo on others. But your plan looks interesting. He seems to think we are taking too much rest.

During gpp our volumes have been high but Iplan to drop them during spp. 2-300 m of speed work per session and spec end will be 2x300 for a few weeks.

Yea, I’m also trying to keep the hill volumes high and then drop it in SPP… around 1200m per week I think… dropping away over the last few weeks.

Why the major drop in volume??

[QUOTE=UKcheetah;225134]Abit off topic but anyone got any personal recommendations on weekly speed volume, in their experience?

I’m 22, 3 years proper training before injury year 2008/2009. I ran 10.70 off only one 4-week CF cycle, post-ankle operation. I aiming 6.7 indoors.

But this year i’ll also be jumping, short approach long and triple 1x per week SPP. And I’ll take run-ups directly out of the speed volume.

What volumes have worked for you personally?

Thanks[/QUOT

I have tried up to 900m of speed/alactic endurance per week, but found that too much (see previous post) I will peak them around 680m per week this time around when the intensity is high. We are still finishing off our hill work at the moment (2x3x70m) so the volume is slightly higher over the week but not as intense overall.

Im not gonna immediately drop it but as I get closer to the comp period I will. Once I get into the technical work. But for the next few weeks instead of doin 4x4x60 it will drop to 3 for a few and 2 and so on until I feel that I am running fast enough to stress my system with 4 reps.

200-300m per session 2x weekly is a drop when you been doing 400-600 3x weekly in gpp…

[quote="“PhilG,post:34,topic:42550”]

How old are you guys? And how many years you been training? I seem to tolerate speed pretty well, guess there’ll be some trial and error.

WHen I said 2x I meant sets per session not per week. Now i am doing 4x4x60 next 3x4x60 next 2x4x60…so forth. Not dropping that much. I will keep that going until I feel I can get enought stress from 1 set of 4x60

[quote="“UKcheetah,post:397,topic:38880”]

My squad are mainly early-late 20’s, couple of them in their late 20’s have had injury setbacks so don’t want to overpush things. They are in the 11.0-11.5 area. Couple of decent guys in their late teens as well who hopefully will progress to good times.

im 31…

Cmon add some more 60m runs if you dont feel it :slight_smile: My first week of spp was 4x6x60m 60sec/4min RI. I probably did them in like 8 sec…

Im not even going to take the stopwatch out until I work down to 1x4x60m sometime in late december. Right now Im just working on form and conditioning

Im only doing the reps over 60m on monday and saturday.

my week is:
monday 60m runs + pullups dips pushups GHR

tues sled plyos and wieghts + pullups dips pushups GHR

wed rest or tempo + pullups dips pushups GHR

thurs sled plyo+ pullups dips pushups GHR

Friday rest

sat 60m runs + cleans and + pullups dips pushups GHR

For a older guy like me more than 2x/week for 60m runs and I start to have problems recovering. Same for squats more than 1x/week and I am tired for days…