Training to Improve Speed

An article by Jan Hoff in the Journal of Sports Sciences in 2005, suggested half squats, 4 sets of 4 repetitions Jump height increased by 30 mm in both experimental groups and 10-m sprint time was improved by approximately 0.6 m and 0.8 m, respectively, compared with the control group who performed a normal soccer training programme. However, i was in a disscussion with Mr. Vern Gambetta the former US Soccer coach at the 1998 World cup in France. He was against the half squat as an exercise due to speed of movement. He suggested keeping the tempo of the lifts relative to the speed of leg movements in soccer. My arguement would be in order to increase speed and power you should increase maximal strength first. whats your view?

Speed of squat should match speed of leg movement in soccer?? What kind of utter BS is that?
Oh yes. That’s Gambetta so never mind!
Of course you are right, and, as usual, Gambetta is out to lunch!

What would you suggest as being some key exercises to increase speed for soccer players and what intensities/reps/sets would you do?

Heavy squats, done in 3-5 range for ‘experinced’ athletes, but the question is ‘general’.

What is the level of the players first off. Check the archives here as there have been some good threads on soccer already. That should get you started.

I work with a top 20 nationally ranked NAIA college soccer team. I gathered some pilot data for a studying looking a Postactivation Potentiation (PAP), and how best to utilize this for improving acceleration in my players. Have you ever used any thing like PAP in your workouts for any of your athletes?

Stimulation comes in many forms and the intensity of it (based on the athletes level/ability) determines the period over which the stimulus is optimal.
On the weights lecture series at the site store, this is discussed in detail and you might also find the Taper DVD helpful as well. There is also a series of discussions about this topic on the forum in many places.
A lower level athlete may benefit from stimulus immediately before his activity but a high level athlete would be adversely affected and their optimum stimulus could occur days out from their event/training.
I recently got feedback from a top level European soccer team that the training modifications and activation plan I suggested last spring was incorporated and is working and I could see on TV that team speed is considerably improved this season so far.
It would be better if someone from the team itself spoke but they delivered a huge upset recently.

read this thread

http://www.charliefrancis.com/community/showthread.php?t=15334&highlight=soccer

Thanks for the link to this thread.

I like the fact that much of the discussion was centered around the basics. If you haven’t mastered the basics, things like PAP, which sounds sexy, might not be where the effort should be focused.

I wrote my dissertation on the subject. Here’s the thread regarding it, it ends with my abstract http://www.charliefrancis.com/community/showthread.php?t=17098&highlight=Dissertation.

There is significant research detailing the effects of PAP on acceleration in team players.

If you want the full text or even just the lit review PM me.

Please also read through that complete soccer thread!!