Sub Max Speed

i am confused about doing speed work at sub max intensities.

i have always thought max velocity is gained through runs above 95%, and that there is no place in speed sessions for runs ranging from 76%-94% (intensive tempo is the exception, but we’re not talking about tempo).

am i missing something about sub max sprints?

95 to 99% speed IS sub-max. Max is 100%.

If you tried your hardest, but only ran say 98 or 99% of your fastest most recent time, how would you rate that? Still Sub-Max? All training elements being the same lets say.

Re-read the above post- sub-max.

alright, i understand that 95% + is still sub max, but the intent and “trying” is still at its max, however the time may not be.

my question now becomes, is there any place in max velocity development for sprints that are not an all out effort, in the ranges of 76-94%?

The percentage consideration is time-related only- not effort.

thanks for the reply’s charlie.

percentages are time related, but effort should be all out, 100% when working on maximal velocity?

i’ve noticed several posts lately about sprinting at less than all out when working on max velocity sprints and have always believed that sub 100% efforts have no place in max velocity training.

I like this, i like it a lot.

Maybe I am wrong, but I don’t see how sub 100% efforts can have a place in MaxV training. Charlie can you explain?

The faster you get the less often you can have a PB in training- or Comp for that matter. This means that you must use a judicious mix of max and sub-max work, so that max and supra-max speeds can be achieved at key times in the program.

Going by charlies formular, if your pb is say 3.0sec over flying 30m, and you run flat out and run 3.1sec for 30m. Then that is sub max training. Only when you run 3.0 are you going to run a MaxV effort. And you are not always going to run a 3.0 sec 30m so you are not always going to be training at MaxV workloads. So Sub maxV workouts are going to happen. And if you string enough sub-MaxV sessions and MaxV sessions together, then hopefully you will acheive a supra-maxV at the right time in a competition. I think this is what Charlie is saying. Correct me if im wrong.

this is all about periodization & planning, and what made Charlie so effective. The higher the level of the athlete more planned sub-max runs, and less planned max work.

Not ‘hopefully’, i beleive he was much more deliberate.

Charlie?

Charlie,

So are you saying that it is NOT good to run at 100% effort during each and every MaxV session? You’re saying that sometimes you have to run a MaxV session at a sub max pace?

Or do you simply mean (if I understand boldwarrior correctly), that since it it becomes increasingly difficult to run 100% effort every time, that you cannot hope to have consistent PB’s in training (meaning, you should TRY to run 100% and have consistent PB’s, but it probably won’t happen)?

We see a maxV performance every 3-4 weeks when implemented through flying sprints. SupramaxV maybe once a mesocycle. The latter determined on environmental factors and fitness.

Fitness and health are key. In some cases, with flying sprints, conditioning and RPE were very high, with submax being the result.

Several weeks later, almost the opposite. Interestingly, we found the females in our program to be more predictable than the males in this area.

This is the question that I am curious about? Well put DaGov. Can someone answer this?

So are you saying that it is NOT good to run at 100% effort during each and every MaxV session? You’re saying that sometimes you have to run a MaxV session at a sub max pace?

Or do you simply mean (if I understand boldwarrior correctly), that since it it becomes increasingly difficult to run 100% effort every time, that you cannot hope to have consistent PB’s in training (meaning, you should TRY to run 100% and have consistent PB’s, but it probably won’t happen)?

The point is there is a difference between %effort and %pace. Look at Charlies reply:

The percentage consideration is time-related only- not effort.

So a maxV session should be 100% effort but depending on the split time recored it is judged whether it is maxV or a % of maxV or in other words your pb is your MaxV so if you run a time that equates to 99% MaxV independent of effort it is sub max.

Also: when you run a pb that run would be supraMaxV and this new mark would become the new MaxV that subsequent runs are judged against.

Smooth running will yield the best result possible on the occasion, which may, or may not be max/supra-max, depending on the speed volume within the session, physical status (influenced by response to work and overall speed volume at that point in the training cycle), and performance level.
While the performance will vary, even with the same effort level, there will be occasions when it is necessary to perceptively reduce the effort level to bring peak performances up. This can occur when training has taken a toll, when there has been a long string of heightened performances, and when it’s getting close to competition time, etc

So in other words ACOOPER, the latter explanation I gave was the correct one, is that right?
(So are you saying that it is NOT good to run at 100% effort during each and every MaxV session? You’re saying that sometimes you have to run a MaxV session at a sub max pace?

Or do you simply mean (if I understand boldwarrior correctly), that since it it becomes increasingly difficult to run 100% effort every time, that you cannot hope to have consistent PB’s in training (meaning, you should TRY to run 100% and have consistent PB’s, but it probably won’t happen)?)

Charlie,

Could you give me an example of a MaxV training session where I would reduce the effort level to bring performance up? Like how many sessions would I need to do this? How much would I reduce effort level? And how far from peak competition would I need to start?

could you give me an example of a MaxV training session where I would reduce the effort level to bring performance up? Like how many sessions would I need to do this? How much would I reduce effort level? And how far from peak competition would I need to start?[/QUOTE]

For the 10 day period before the most important competition (for high level athletes) runs beyond 30m are restricted to the sub max catagory - as the training objectives have already been met, and are now merely being maintained with as little effort as possible to allow the organism to rebound to supercompensate for the “Big Day”

For the 10 day period before the most important competition (for high level athletes) runs beyond 30m are restricted to the sub max catagory - as the training objectives have already been met, and are now merely being maintained with as little effort as possible to allow the organism to rebound to supercompensate for the “Big Day”

Ok. You talk about the high level athletes. What about the novice sprinter or the intermediate level sprinter? Are runs beyond 30m still restricted to the sub-max category?

Regarding sub-max training for the purpose of supercompensation, are you saying that if I have been previously training at 95-100% with full recovery between runs during the weeks prior, then I would need to reduce the intensity to say, 85-90% and still have full recovery for the 10 day period before the most important competition?