Strength Training Program for Sprinters

David, just curious, how much experience have you had working with sprinters and what level were they at?

Quark, in the weight room I generally do bench press, squat, power clean, rows, and SLDL, or any other hamstring lift.

I am 5’7" 142 lbs.

David W, those are in lbs haha.

thanks for the advice everybody!

Some. National…

David, I know how to read you now, you cocky MOTHER #$%^&! LOL! FADS! Those Poliquin tables are 13 years old. Why all the hate. LOL

David, it appears to me as if you are selectively ignoring the fact that Fabio is a “young” athlete. Your suggestion to him (training parameters) are void of any development of GPP. I think you are placing the cart before the horse. However, you do acknowledge his ability level in your contraindication of eccentric tempo work???

Hypertrophy training, in combination of track/RFD work, will result in functional gains, NOT non-functional. This may be observed time and time again if you notice the developmental abilities of young athletes from grade 9-12. They are all more muscular and faster, quicker, more explosive in their last year of highschool than their first. And much of the muscular development, experienced by the kids who go to schools with solid S&C programs, is a result of weight training for functional hypertrophy, as well as the various other manifestations of muscular strength.

The correlation of max strength and strength endurance is highly correlated. I say this based upon my own experience as well as that of my athletes, training partners, and many other reputable references (Louie Simmons for one).

Token example:

Back when my raw 1RM in the bench press was 305lbs, I was only hitting 225lbs for about 12 repetitions. Now my raw 1RM is somewhere around 380lbs and I can roll out of bed and hit over 20 repetitions with 225lbs any day of the week. Keep in mind that I do not perform any specific endurance work for the bench press. My strength endurance in the BP, 225lbs for reps, is solely a function of my max strength.

I am hoping that you meant to state ‘speed’ endurance, and NOT ‘strength’ endurance, as having little correlation to max strength.

James

I think all strengths DO relate to max strength- but only in a one-way-street relationship. Max str will determine the percentage output for a given sub-max working level, but endurance cannot help max str- or max speed either, once fitness is in place and weights would be a poor choice for endurance work.
I also think some hypertrophy work can be useful, but how far it should be carried is highly individual and dependant on body type and what has been done in training before- ie. would you still use hypertrophy weights if a considerable background of explosive med ball work had been done already?
Be very careful of relative strength tables and their source! CP used “tables”, during a phone consultation, to tell a 5’ 10" sprinter that he should weigh 205lbs! (As the sprinter later related to me, he said: “I have the tables here in front of me!”) Readers can check if there has ever been one ranked sprinter who weighed 205 at 5’ 10".
Use sound judgement, related to the individual, and the likelyhood of developing the lifting skills required for more complex lifts.

The correlation between maximum strength and strength endurance is inversely ‘related’ to the percentage of max, i.e. at 70% the correlation is high, at 40% very poor. Elite rowers for example, will display far superior strength endurance (at low loads) than powerlifters who outlift them 2 or 3 times!

Well put, I agree.

Once again, no bad methods-only bad applications.

James

Agree. Your example would show a stronger relationship for sprinters, operating at very high percentages of max, than for most sports.

James

My remark re: ‘fads’ refers to your application of CTs recent ‘Pendulum’ article. Unfortunately, I do not have time today to give my full critique but suffice it to say it’s application for athletic performance (particularly for high level athletes) is, at best, sub optimal.

I believe this fact is only made evident due to the high amount of specific endurance training an elite rower employs in contrast to the little to no SE training a PL employs.

My point being,the inverse relationship between SE and %1RM may be strictly dependent on the ability which is prioritized in training.

At the same time, this is where I agree with you, we must delineate between the different values/manifestations of SE as you have done with varied % of 1RM.

James