Strength Pr Thread...

Well I have probably the crappiest weight PRs in this thread :frowning:

Bench - 180 lbs
Squat - 290 lbs
Clean - 200 lbs

100m - 11.15
200m - 23.24 (old PB)

your numbers arent bad at all, plus your 100 pr is impressive. keep working, you can only get stronger.

bodyweight - 75kg
squat - 138kg ass to grass near parallel though
bench - 91kg
deadlift - 160kg
clean - 84kg

100m - 12.17FAT a year ago dont know now
60m - 7.50ht
30m 4.15ht

dammit cortese why dont you run 10s by now? I swear if i had those numbers i would be mid 10s. Your speed endurance is fine to as your running good 400m o the relays.

Weight numbers arenā€™t everything. I know lots of people who have much better weight numbers then me and run slower and people who have worse weight numbers and run faster. Although being strong in the weightroom does help.

*Isnā€™t Cortese a 22.x, 200 runner anyways? Thatā€™s pretty damn good

And thanks ACBarchJr, you have very nice numbers, hopefully Iā€™ll be able to catch up

weight: 193
bench: 355lbs
squat:495lbs parallel
hang clean: 250lbs
100m: 11.41 FAT last year when i was in high school

i react well to strength. There is a massive positive correlation whenever i PB. I guess im a ben johnson type.

awesome numbers.
excellent work man!! :slight_smile:

Man thatā€™s impressive.
your vert is almost 10in higher than mine and your SLJ is crazy
that is where i want to be in September.

Weightlifting will help you a lot when you arenā€™t very strong, but when youā€™re already very strong, I doubt it will make much of a difference. I mean look at ACā€“a very very strong guy and pretty fast, but I doubt getting stronger (seeing as heā€™s stronger than virtually every sprinter now) will help him as much as just sprinting.

very good point. i am about as strong and explosive as anybody i have seen, but with shitty sprint technique it really doesnt matter. i need to utilize that strength and power threw sprinting, not lifting.

i always had functional strength. I was not very weak naturally. But if i PB on somethin explosive in the weightroom or major compoind lifts like squats and dead, i start to get very fast. But i never stop which i have done now and have gotten even faster im noticing. I might go carl lewis though with no weights for awhile.

Another thing, what if in your comp period you just do power cleans and some endurance stuff on bikes or ellipticals. Would that affect anything?

well to give some stats from europe:
bench 1x115kg
1/2 ssquat 5x165kg
clean 1x85 kg

100pb 11.00 (2005)
I pbā€™d all my lifts this spring, so i had some good hopes for my 100 and 400. but something in my calf is holding me back from running.
see the movie in tis thread.
I hope i can run within a few weeks or else the strength gains were for nothing.

Bench, 120kg x 5 reps
Pec Deck 100kg x 5 x 2sets

Good question Senri :smiley: I have pretty decent limit strength, I think I am lacking in the reactive strength dept. though (my vert is only around 29"-30" at best).

6ā€™1 195

Yesterday I bench pressed 300 with a little left in the tank.

I was stuck at 250ish for 3 years until I finally found what I needed to do about 10 weeks ago, and 40-50 pounds in 10 weeks isnt too shabby. Ill take it.

So, if you are stuck donā€™t get discouraged. You just have to find what works for YOU! Once you find it, once you free your mind, you will be able to move like they do.

What did you need to do?

For the ā€œshort of itā€ just read the bold. For the ā€œlong of itā€, get some coffee and read extra at your own peril.

A few things:

1. I needed to do more full range pressing

I followed the Westside Template for about 3 years off and on, 2 years religiously. I read every article I could from Louie Simmons and on elitefts.com. To sum up, they said, ā€œthe shoulders will take care of themselvesā€ or ā€œI have never seen weak shoulders as a weakpointā€ or ā€œbeing weak off the chest is usually a case of weak lats, slow barspeed, or the bar is too heavyā€. I knew these things werenā€™t my problem. Of course, obviously those guys would also tell me to EAT, GET BIGGER, etc.

Then there is the ā€œmore benching wonā€™t make your bench betterā€. So I didnā€™t do Max Effort flat bench presses, unless I was testing a max, which was about every 8 weeks.

Also, I didnā€™t want to increase size so much so I feared the bodybuilding assistance work. I ended up never doing a press for assistance work, except every now and then, maybe for 3-4 sets a week. Even when I did, I had another problem. (see 2)

1. I needed more Time Under Tension/ā€œVolumeā€
    This has to do more with rep speed then actually increasing sets or reps.

When I did my assistance work with ā€œbigā€ lifts (presses and rows/pullups), I would do them FAST. I would finish a set of 8 of DB presses in about 10 seconds. 3 sets of this would be 30 seconds of total time. I guess, at least for me, this is not enough time to strengthen the muscles.

Now, I do all my assistance presses with a controlled eccentric tempo, maybe a slight pause at the bottom, and press up with whatever speed (though, when I do high rep DB presses or rep out on another press I just do it as fast as possible). Iā€™m pretty sure that now, one set of 8 is 20-30 seconds as Iā€™ve timed it but I forget right now. As long as I hit the reps, and stay controlled, Iā€™m good with it.

On Sunday, one of the 2 ā€œlightā€ days for my shoulders, I do floor presses up to a heavy set of 8 staying controlled for the whole set. If I can do another set I will, if not, I will drop down 10-20 pounds and do another set or two. Eventually, I try to do up to 5 sets with the top weight as the mesocycle continues.

I also chose floor press, so as to work a ā€œpartā€ of the bench and have it still be a ā€œmovementā€. Floor press would address the top half. For the bottom half, I would do dips usually or just incline presses. I donā€™t go nearly as hard on this 2nd exercise. I donā€™t even do it every time, especially if I canā€™t do the 8 reps on every set of my floor press.

On Friday, I do speed bench first. I was already a fast presser but DE bench with bands or chains helps my lockout more than anything. It also helps my SPP for basketball (dribbling and passing), due to the RFD developed in the shoulder/tricep musculature. After this I rep out with DBs and do 5 minutes between sets. This is another Westside innovation though slightly modified. I used to go to failure on some sets of these but now, I just try to gets some DBs that I can hit 3x10 with, and then get that to 3x15 over the next few weeks (week1 3x10, week2 3x12, week3 3x15). Once I hit 3x15, I go up 5 pounds and try to do the 3x10 again.

Since Iā€™ve talked about my split, Iā€™ll just outline slightly:
Monday (assistance presses) - 1. Floor press 1-5x8 2. Dips/Incline 3x8-12

Wednesday (ME workout) 1. Flat Bench Press (See 3 for loading)

Friday (DE bench and High Rep DBs) 1. DE flat bench 6-10x3 2. DB presses 3x10-15 (fast rep speed) with 5 minute rest between sets

1. I needed to do more reps @ or above 85-90% Again, after reading the old Simmons/elitefts articles, I was stuck on the ā€œbreak a record every weekā€, ā€œwork up to 90%, then a record. Then do assistance. If you miss, go to assistance.ā€

So as it worked out, Iā€™d only be getting 2 lifts @ or above 85-90%. Prilipin has the minimum of 3 lifts. So in the last year, influenced by Jim Wendler articles and Q/A posts, I did more submaximal ME workouts using Prilipinā€™s chart as a guide.

Nowadays I do:
Week1- 85% 6x2 or 4x3
Week2- 90% 6x1 or 3x2
Week3- test max 1RM or 3RM
Week4 (deload)- rep out 225 or wide grip rep out or just nothing

1. ?I needed to do more actual flat bench press for ME work?

Iā€™m not entirely sure if this is a big factor, due to the other changes Iā€™ve made in my assistance work. But I do know that I have done solely flat bench press for a few months, and my bench has kept going up. I used to do floor press, reverse band, incline press, and 2-3 board presses. All of these exercisesā€™ records were greater than my bench press record, except for incline press, which was the same.

1. DO 1-4 AT THE SAME TIME!

With all the experimenting and jumping around I did, I had spurts where my bench would increase or some component would increase, but another component would get worse. Once I brought all of these together is when things really took off.

Itā€™s kinda funny that I was injured/rehabbing for 15+ of those 36 months (avulsed lesser trochanter which -> osteitis pubis, and also a possible torn adductor. MRI not done until 8 months post injury), and all I did was concentrate on bench, and improved hardly anything. Now that I can run and jump and ball again, I donā€™t even care about bench and VABOOM. Its just all about finding what works for you.

Gravity has a thing called inertia too. The faster a object travels, the greater the inertia. When lowering a barbell and you go to fast on a heavy lift, the force to stop inertia is much higher than that compared to going much slower on the down part. Therefore when moving the bar downwards at a higher speed, much energy is lost for the upwards part due to just stopping the bar.
The slower the bar on the downwards portion, the easier it is to stop and go the other way, giving you more energy to explode the bar upwards.
You notice this more as the bar gets heavier and heavier. The closer to max weight, the slower the downwards should become.

your confusing inertia, mass, and force. faster moving objects do NOT have greater inertia than their slower moving comprable counterparts. inertia is simply a measure of an objects resistance to change in acceleration which is a vector quantity so it also includes change in direction. so more massive objects have a greater inertia than smaller ones. but yes objects that are moving at a greater velocity have a greater force.