Static Stretching

Anyone have an opinion on static stretching before practice for tackle football players who are 5, 6, and 7 years old (yes, they start them that young)?

I’m not a fan. I’ve never had my athletes (usually elite level rowers) do static stretching. We always just had them do a dynamic warm-up. And I especially don’t like it in this case. I’m pretty sure the next six-year-old who pulls a muscle will be the first in the history of the planet. And practice starts at 5:30 PM. By that point, they’ve been running around (literally) pretty much all day, anyway.

We were just doing a dynamic warm-up with them. But then we got a stern talking to, as they say, since we are obviously just trying to get our kids injured.

I have never heard of a kid that young pulling a muscle. Imo they have not developed any to pull yet. I see no real issue with them doing static before practice.

It’s probably not a bad idea especially if parents are going to bitch about it. All of the little gymnasts stretch so…

The issue we have is losing practice time. We only practice three days a week as it is. It’s ridiculous how much there is that you have to teach the kids at this level, beginning with all the rules.

The parents didn’t complain. We’re not exactly in a soccer/gymnastics environment. The director of the program complained.

We’re doing it, because that’s how life works, pretty much. We’re just not thrilled about it.

just do the basics. nothing extra. quads groin hams and be done with it

Hah yea join the club. Our track team does about 15 static stretches every day…the entire team has to count ONE…TWO…up to 20. It’s a good waste of half an hour.

I was watching a training session which had that style of warm up, the coach then said it is a speed session before adding - be careful not to run too fast as running fast hurts and we don’t that… I proceeded to walk off laughing.

A muscle reacts to stretching the same as to a heavy workload, one or the other not both together. Tendons stretch muscles don’t.