Starting GPP, got questions(already researched forum for answers)

Hi,

I got the GPP and Vancouver series. Want to get my GPP plan set up and going! Saw the video, had a bunch of questions, some were answered by reading the posts in this forum, some not or didn’t find them. Thanks for your help in advance and I apologize for any obvious questions.

Background about me: BW 190, 10% fat, age 31, competitive Ultimate frisbee player 10 years, HS football before that. Fascinated with getting faster than I’ve ever been. Access to equipment, gym, and training time. Weights Personal bests - Squat 325, DL 400, Press 165, C&J 225, recent in the last 2 months.

1. Hurdle mobility drills - are these considered tempo? warm-up? something altogether separate?

2. The Hill Graph

Does week 1 mean to do 10x10,10x20,10x30 on each of M, W, and Friday?

Week 2 means to do 3 x (6x40), on each M,W, and F?

I realize this volume is for the advanced athlete. Will half and see how it goes.

1. Week 5 speed work graph is missing from my pdfs. I found this in the forum. Is it correct?

week 5

6x10 flat on ground
6x10 push up pos
6x20 high start
1x4x20 efe
1x50 high start acc 20/30maintain

1. Tempo

It doesn’t seem to mention a schedule on the GPP DVD for tempo. Searches on the forum suggest 2-3 per week, day after hill/speed runs. Seems like volume ranges between 1000M - 2500 M?

Thanks for any advice

xx

Looks good to me…

thanks for the quick response. So, where do the hurdle mobility drills fit in?

Also, I see the term “SE” used a lot. There seems to be two different definitions for this. Speed endurance and Strength endurance. The vancouver series and other forum posts suggest strength endurance refers to “running A” drills for the set distance, 1 meter / second. Speed endurance is something else entirely.

I usually use hurdle mobility as part of a dynamic warmup.

SE is also special endurance :slight_smile: Running A’s, etc are used for Strength Endurance. Now that you mention it, I’m not exactly clear myself on the difference (is there one) between speed endurance and special endurance. I tend to think of speed endurance as a small number of runs up to 200m. Special endurance includes longer runs, maybe out to 600m. Anyone know if this is correct?

Yes, repeat the same workout three times a week and do tempo on the days between.

I realize this volume is for the advanced athlete. Will half and see how it goes.

Good plan! Another option is to simply to do the workouts 2x/week instead of three. That gives you two days of tempo in between in case you need more recovery time. This template is often especially helpful for athletes over 30.

1. Week 5 speed work graph is missing from my pdfs. I found this in the forum. Is it correct?

week 5

6x10 flat on ground
6x10 push up pos
<<<6x20 push up>>>
6x20 high start
1x4x20 efe
1x50 high start acc 20/30maintain

Missed the 6x20 pushup runs.

1. Tempo

It doesn’t seem to mention a schedule on the GPP DVD for tempo. Searches on the forum suggest 2-3 per week, day after hill/speed runs. Seems like volume ranges between 1000M - 2500 M?

Thanks for any advice

xx

I’m pretty sure there was a description of the “big circuit” for tempo in the GPP DVD. In any case, you have it about right. Do the tempo work in between the intense days. Usually it is something like this:
Big Circuit -
100 + 100 + 100
100 + 100 + 200 + 100
100 + 200 + 200 + 100
100 + 200 + 100 + 100
100 + 100 + 100
total = 2200m

Small circuit -
100 + 100 + 100
100 + 200 + 100
100 + 100 + 100
total = 1000m

The runs are done at an easy pace < 75% intensity. If you can’t finish it at the same pace you started, then you are going too fast. The “+” symbols mean take a 50m walk in between runs. In between sets, you can do some pushups and situps.

If you haven’t done much tempo before, I would probably ease my way into it starting with the small circuit. Remember, these are supposed to be recovery days. If it is breaking you down, instead of helping you recover, then modify it!

Good luck!

Hey, thanks for all the feedback!

Now that you mention it…I have heard special endurance used for “SE” on the forum as well. Holy cow, this can be confusing :stuck_out_tongue: Maybe everyone is referring to the same thing? I’m going to post that in other forum.

About the tempo, the video does describe the big circuit in detail, how far to run, the rests, and that was helpful. No small circuit though…I’m assuming you just created that as reduced volume version?

After watching The GPP video a third time, I finally found where CF briefly mentions a schedule for tempo!

You may want to try some longer tempo in gpp similar to what PJ mention awhile ago, for example 3x600 or 3x400 in 70-80sec etc.