Tights on Ice

First off, I am a former World Cup team member and can offer you a lot of insight into the sport. My advice to you is not to worry about numbers, especially lift numbers. Too many guys on the team get bogged down on who does what in the weight room or on the track, but when it comes down to it all that matters is what happens on the ice at the top of the hill. The reason for the combine is that the USOC requires objective criteria for determining an athletes potential for success in order to be funded to stay in the training center. If you do not meet the criteria it doesn’t mean you can’t participate - you’ll just have to pay to stay at the training center. They’ll get splits at 15m, 30m, 45m, and 60m and extract a flying 30m, broad jump, shot scoop throw, back squat and clean. The only thing anyone will ever mention is the 30m. But if you’re interested in stats there are several guys on the current roster with 10.5x FAT 100m, sub 21 200m, and 40+ inch verticals (all weighing between 210-225lbs). But by the same token there are successful pushers who can’t break 11sec. The nice thing about trying out right after the Olympics is that it will be a very relaxed atmosphere and a lot of the veterans will be retiring or taking time off. This gives you a much better shot at landing on a quality sled. Sadly, politics also plays a part in team selection (as it does everywhere), so staying on a drivers good side is always a good thing. The best way to do this is to always help out (i.e. moving sleds) and push whenever possible. The more you push the better you’ll get, pretty simple, and don’t hold back even in practice. I know that goes against training theory, but somebody is always looking at push times in practice and you can make a name for yourself there. One last piece of advice - save some money. Unless you can grab a spot on USA I or II, you’ll be paying your own way all season. And during team trials everybody pays their own way for flights to and from Lake Placid and Park City. Sponsorships are next to impossible to come by as a pusher, especially if you’re not on a top team and in an Olympic year. Unfortunately, a lot of guys (myself included) have to quit the sport for financial reasons. Hope this doesn’t scare you away, it’s just some things that I learned over the years that would have been nice to know from start.

Flsstrack, I completely agree…the same her ein Italy, just luckily had no expenses even for team competitions.

November 2nd, 2009
Lower Body Focus

Condition:
I’m still giving my body far too little rest, but my mind is sharp and I feel good.

Warm Up:
Some RW Drills

Some activation drills (mostly non-tripods)

Lots of plyos

Workout:
Back Squats (close stance, start a new set every 3 minutes, full ROM)
7 sets x (4, 4, 4, 4, 1, 2, 3) reps @ 315 lbs (22 total reps), <180 sec. rest

Plank Progression
7 sets @ BW

Cool Down:
Some more activation drills

Mild plyos

Notes:
I did more reps with 315 than I’ve done in a session before. Last time I did this type of workout, I got 21 reps over 8 sets, starting a new set every 3 minutes. This time I got 22 reps over 7 sets while starting a new set every 3 minutes. Eventually I’d like 4x10 in this manner @ 315 lbs.

Oh, and I did my squats especially deep this time. I usually go well beneath parallel, but this time I did them to rock bottom. Those last 1-2" make a huge difference. My glutes were fatigued as hell.

After the session I got a bite to eat and then sat down for a minute. I don’t know what happened, but I just conked out. I’m really running low on energy. Still, I’m making progress every session, so I can’t complain.

Also, I love doing depth drops in reverse. Stepping off the box backwards loads up the glutes and hamstrings so much better.

Thank you very much. This is helpful.

I won’t worry too much about lift numbers once I max out the charts. This should be in a few months, so after that I’ll have a while to focus on my sprint speed. And if the only thing they care about is the 30M, I’m golden. I don’t have the structure for top speed, but I can run a damn fast 30M. It does sound like I’ll have some competition though.

Thanks for the rest of the advice too. I will take it all to heart.

What’s your 30 meter time?

be careful that the progress doesn’t blind you to what is happening with your body. You are progressing well so it would be disappointing if you ‘crashed and burned’

RB34, I don’t know. I haven’t taken a time in a while (years), and the ones I have are suspect. I know it’s a hell of a lot faster than my 100M though (relatively speaking).

John, thanks. I know I need to watch it. Life is just demanding a little too much of me right now, and things are going too well to back down.

If I start to get sick or I notice something wrong, I’ll cut my workload and I might even start sleeping again. :stuck_out_tongue:

Thought you did some HT 30’s earlier in the year.

Nope. I wouldn’t trust a hand timed 30M anyways. There seems like there would be too much room for error. After I reach my strength goals, I will check to see where I’m at though.

315 x 15 should put me where I need to be, for now. From my current best of 315 x 9, I’ve got a little while.

What’s the point of doing 315x15?

I don’t really like heavy weights on my back. Higher reps allow me to get away with using a lower load while still building strength. I know the science behind rep ranges and physiological adaptations, but higher reps have been working well for me so far. Since I combine them with plyos, I don’t appear to be missing out on anything.

Either way, 315 is the most I want on my shoulders for now. Maybe once I reach 315 x 15 I’ll be more comfortable and will move my work weight up to 355.

How do the reverse depth drops feel on your achilles? It seems like there would be a little more strain than conventional depth jumps.

I feel no extra strain in my Achilles when I do them. All I feel is more stress through the glutes and hamstrings. Then again, my drops have been limited to 36". Maybe if I were to push the intensity a bit higher I’d notice something.

Are you still doing the drops barefoot?

Yeah. In socks, actually. Still, barefoot and on to concrete.

November 4th, 2009
Upper Body Focus

Condition:
Glutes and lower back are a little tired. I was able to get some sleep last night though. Life is a bit complicated right now, but I’m doing well.

Warm Up:
Some push ups and chin ups

Workout:
Chin Ups
1 x 7 @ 90 lbs (1 rep PR), ? sec. rest
Two more sets to failure with 45 lbs

Military Press (to clavicles)
1 x 5 @ 155 lbs, 180 sec. rest
3 x 5 @ 135 lbs, 180 sec. rest

Cool Down:
Shoulder prehab

Notes:
Not bad today. I managed to hit a 1 rep PR on chins with 90 lbs. I’m pretty happy with it. The 155 x 5 on military press was pretty good too, and it wasn’t maximal. Everything went well.

November 7th, 2009
Lower Body Focus

Condition:
I’m sick as a dog. Today was also the third day in a row I’ve napped involuntarily. I’m worn out. Still, my motivation is there.

Warm Up:
Some RW Drills

Lots of plyos (altitude landings and CMJs)

Workout:
6 sets x (2, 4, 6, 4, 4, 3) reps @ 315 lbs (23 total reps), <180 sec. rest

Plank Progression
7 sets @ BW

Cool Down:

Mild plyos

Notes:
Despite my condition, and throwing up mid-workout, I managed more reps with 315 than before. It wasn’t easy though.

So far I’m liking my progression. Every time I squat I limit the rest time, do one more total rep than the previous session, and increase the average number of reps per set. As mentioned before, I’d like to see 4 x 10 while starting a set every 3 minutes. That would be an ass kicker.

Anyways, I’m going to try to rest up, but my body seems to be handling things just fine. I’m still PRing.

November 11th, 2009
Upper Body Focus

Condition:
I’ve been sick and sleep deprived recently. I’m trying to get back to health.

Warm Up:
Some push ups and chin ups

Workout:
Chin Up and Pull Up Variations
2 x Failure @ BW, ? sec. rest

Military Press (to clavicles)
1 x 3 @ 165 lbs, 180 sec. rest
1 x 9 @ 135 lbs, 180 sec. rest

Cool Down:
Shoulder prehab

Notes:
I’m just trying to maintain right now. I wasn’t seeking PRs. Still, I managed some pretty impressive stuff (for me) on this chins this workout. I think 135 x 9 is a PR on the military press as well. Also, I’ve moved my grip on military presses in closer.

Maybe lower body tomorrow. We’ll see.

November 14th, 2009
Lower Body Focus

Condition:
Still kind of sick, I’ve been managing to get some sleep though. I didn’t really feel like training today, but I needed to get back into it.

Warm Up:
Some RW Drills

Lots of plyos (altitude landings and CMJs)

Workout:
8 sets x (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 1, 2) reps @ 315 lbs (24 total reps), <180 sec. rest

Plank Progression
7 sets @ BW

Cool Down:

Mild plyos

Notes:
Well, I went to the doctor yesterday and was diagnosed with hypertension, which at 21 isn’t exactly a good thing. For anyone who knows me, this isn’t exactly a surprise. I’m extremely high strung. I’m going to blame this largely on my diet though. As I see it, the diagnosis is actually a good thing. Now I’ve finally got a legitimate excuse to clean up my diet.

Besides that, the session went well today. Four training sessions ago I did a ladder session like today and topped out at a very hard 5 reps. I managed 6 today, and that’s after being sick and out of commission for a solid week. Things are looking up.

Ugh, no more double bacon cheeseburgers dipped in country gravy… :frowning:

November 19th, 2009
Lower Body Focus

Condition:
Since last session I’ve been sleeping regularly, eating a healthier diet, and have adjusted to the emotional stressors in my life. As such, I feel like a million bucks.

Warm Up:
Some RW Drills

Lots of plyos (altitude landings mostly)

Workout:
5 sets x (5, 5, 5, 5, 8) reps @ 315 lbs (28 total reps), ~140-150 sec. rest

Plank Progression
7 sets @ BW

Cool Down:

Mild plyos

Notes:
Fantastic! I guess sleep is good for me after all. :cool:

Not only did I hit a total volume PR with 315 lbs by 4 reps, but I also averaged 5.6 reps per set (old PR was 3.8 per set) and could have tied my single set rep PR if I had been willing to sacrifice form on the last work set of the day. Today was great.

I thought I was doing well when I was running myself ragged, but now that I’m taking care of my mind and body things are so much better. Let’s see if I can keep this up.