Squat lock outs

Would doing very heavy squat lock outs be useful in max strength development? Lockouts being above parallel to allow greater weight.

If you are referring to squats from pins set at 1/4 squat or even 1/8 squat position, they can be useful. But at your age I would not advise them. Stick to basics, keep it simple. You’re not ready for that type of stuff yet IMO.

I’ve never seen any benefits personally.

No point for a sprinter. Numerous better things. It is, however, a good way to mess yourself up.

What’s your thoughts on Heavy Ecc squats?

See Fogelson’s last response.

Lockouts are totally different from ECC. You can’t be a dumbass if you gonna use these methods.

Actually you have it backwards. You are if you do.

Well I guess Mike Young and several other successful athletes on this forum are assholes. Maybe I should group them with you since do shit loads of reps 85%+…

Again, nothing but misinformation. First, I never used that word, or anything close to it. Second, we do about 10-15% over 85%. So does Mike, by the way, and sometimes much, much more.

Very few people use eccentrics or rack lockouts for the squat to build max strength or for hypertrophy. Grow up and stop looking for the magic bullet, and work on that fear of squats.

LOL, I have squatted 585+ in my career so you are speaking to the wrong guy about fearing squats. Try again…

BTW, I didn’t use any squat suits, knee wraps or belts for my max squats.

That’s a descent squat for a sprinter, good on ya. If you can still squat over 500, I wouldn’t be worring about max strength in the first place.

Your right I don’t squat 585 these days but I am still in striking distance and one max strength block away, max strength has always been easy to develop.

It depends because one of the keys to getting stronger is locating your weak spots and finding a way to bring up that weak spot up. So my question to you is do you have trouble from the midway point to the top of the lift?

Anyhow, you need to try things for yourself and see if it works because everybody responds differently. As for myself I just think about Mel siff; author of Supertraining said in his book in regards to the fact that sometimes you need to utilize unconventional training methods, as well as create a new training device in order to reach new levels of athletic success.

i do actually yes, the weakest part of my squat iss the lockout. lol, i guess the answer is given…

This kid is like 16-17, he doesn’t need squat lockouts. He needs some more years of solid training of everything and working on continuing to perfect technique and then worry about the little niche stuff, if necessary (probably not if you are not a powerlifter).

I’d never use squat lockouts for a sprinter with the risk of injury to the knee in this exercise, and any benefit being questionable.

Well if this is the case (he is only 16-17) then yes I would agree you need about another good 5-7 years of solid training behind you.