special endurance training

What do you think of this kind of endurance training for a 200m-runner.

3 times 150m+100m (with 30 seconds between distances and 15 minutes between sets).
Distances are to be run at 90%-95%.

This kind of training is often done in Belgium.

Comments?

I agree. You need to take atleast 20-25 minute recovery when running that distance at 95%.

Well, after the set I don’t see what the point would be of not giving yourself a complete recovery, with a rest period of more like 30 minutes.

Originally posted by mj
I agree. You need to take atleast 20-25 minute recovery when running that distance at 95%.

I agree but when I speak with other athletes I can see that breaks of 15 minutes are seen as complete recovery. Now I must say that I completely agree that one can’t be totally recovered after 15 minutes.

A good rule to go by is…1 minute for every 10 meters ran. Example: you are running 250 meters, so take approximately 25 minutes rest.

Originally posted by mj
A good rule to go by is…1 minute for every 10 meters ran. Example: you are running 250 meters, so take approximately 25 minutes rest.

mj I like that one!

Kenny Mac~~

mj,
i heard that too. good rule of thumb. i havent been taking more than 15 minutes however but i think that is soonm going to change as last week when i was doing 4x200 with 10 mins i really fell of the last 2 reps. Could that have helped my speed endurance however since i did complete the reps at 100% for the time being? i ran 22.7 22.9 24.2 24.8

I would rather go with just the 3x150 with no additional 100 tacked on to ensure race speed(and probably faster) and also to prevent subsequent reps from falling below such speeds. Also, regarding recovery, some people feel that if they are not breathing heavily then they are ready to go but as we know that is no indication of the state of recovery of the CNS. As in most cases, I would rather take too long a recovery(to ensure intensity and quality) than too short a recovery. Err on the side of too long rather than too short.

In the past I have read some SE workouts such as 6x200m with 200m jog recovery or 7x100m with 100 jog recovery. At what time of the year or under what circumstances would an athlete do this type of SE without the full recovery?

To me that seems like interval training or tempo endurance. It really depends on effort. If you do that at 70-75%, it is more along the lines of tempo, if you do it at 80-90%, it is more along the lines of intensive tempo or interval training (off-season type work) and any faster you are crazy because you need rest.

SE sessions without full recovery come before SE sessions with proper rest.

this year i was doing 2x100+200 with walk back rest and 8-15 min between sets. I ran these at 90-95%. What is the problem with that little rest if I am able to run them consistently. I admit they where hard at first but they got easier. I started the year with 2x200+200. I couldn’t finish that one. the workout eventually became 2x50+100 with the same intervals. Any comments.

Originally posted by Richard Hand
SE sessions without full recovery come before SE sessions with proper rest.

Isn’t that just the same as saying speed endurance comes before special endurance training?

400stud I’m not fully sure what you mean, but shorter rest would target cardiovascular fitness and lactic accumulation more so, whereas longer rest allows for the specific energy pathways to be ‘exposed’ to a greater extent and therefore trained more sufficiently. BTW by SE I was referring to special endurance.

Isn’t speed endurance full speed running in longer reps (as written above) with little rest while special endurance done at full speed, sometimes longer reps, with a longer rest? That is what I was trying to say…I guess. And usually people do a lot of speed and speed endurance work before they start with special endurance.

Originally posted by mj

An athlete that runs his best 300 in 40 sec. most likely don’t need 30 min for full recovery. Alot of this depends on the level of the athlete. The faster the athlete the more rest needed.

alright i think i got it. So my workouts are speed endurance not special endurance

400stud, I believe speed end. is full pace with full recovery, and special end. can be moderate or full pace with short to full recovery; speed end being shorter than special end.

Some train to gain speed before entering speed end and then spec end, and some train the opposite way round.

Any better definitions?

Speed endurance: 80-150m @90 -100%
Special endurance 1: 150-300m @90-100%
Special endurance 2: 300-600m @90-100%

Speed Endurance (100m/200m SPRINTER)

I repeat 100m/200m SPRINTER

Either at 100% all out for distances up to 300m’s. (Usually one to two repition’s with distances that are higher). Or repeats of distances at say 85% or higher of your maxium effort with as low as 6 minutes to as high as 12 minutes rest. Curtis Frye has written extensively on this subject. Also depending on where you are in the season and what meet you plan to peak for. Some people like to expand the rest time when they are closer to competition.

JUST EXAMPLES HERE:

Maxium Effort
Example: 100%
(for world-class sprinter)
1.Gen
2.60m 80m,120,150m

Example 2: 100%
(world-class sprinter longer distances)
1.Gen
2.300,150 rest 30-45 minutes 100%

OR

Repeation Method:
Example:1
(world class athlete)
1.Gen
2.3x150 at (85-90% or higher) depending on what week in the cycle) with 6-8 minutes rest

Example: 2

1. Gen
  2. 300/200/150 6-12 minutes rest at (85-90% or higher)

Depends on the athlete and what he/she is training for, also as charlie mentioned in the CFTS that it depends on what the athlete is able too tolerate better.

And also to please the 400stud here are the types of Speed Endurance along with tempo that the East Germans, charlie, curtis frye and others have taught for years.

1. SE 1
  2. SE 2
  3. Special Endurance
  4. Tempo 65-70%
  5. Extensive tempo