Slow Race at UM. Second of season.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zINd941KgNg

Ran My second slow race of the season. Ran 11.3 on thrusday and came back and ran 11.4 today (saturday) Also ran a 4x1 today. I am now running times I ran as a highschool freshman. The guy who beat me was surprised cause I used to give him the business. lol
I have a lot of changes to make with the major one being weight loss. Im at 183 My fastest season i was about 173. So I got a ton of weight to lose.

Feedback welcome.

10lbs extra is significant. What else has changed?

I didnt notice until a friend at the meet pointed it out. My arm swings are out to the sides and it appears during the second half of my race i am still swinging the same as i did during the start. I was always taught to have shorter quicker arm swings during the last have of the race. Seems to me I had alot of wasted motion with my arms.

Did anything stand out to you?

I didnt notice until a friend at the meet pointed it out. My arm swings are out to the sides and it appears during the second half of my race i am still swinging the same as i did during the start. I was always taught to have shorter quicker arm swings during the last have of the race. Seems to me I had alot of wasted motion with my arms.

Did anything stand out to you?

Don’t think your ready for me…

Im not ready for my old self. You could go 11.2 and give me da business.

Go take fish oil, that’s the key for working athletes.

Yea I just started popping them like crazy. I get about 10g a day.

lol…:wink:

I meant more in general, training / lifestyle wise that is different. I expect that will have more of an impact.

How do these times compare with your pb?
How do they compare with your usual first 2 races?

EDIT
sa your posts in http://www.charliefrancis.com/community/showthread.php?t=23228

Because of my new job I have access to a great weight room while at work. I am right now probably the strongest I have ever been overall. BP-330,sq-455, dead 455. I usually lift at 10:30am and dont hit the track until between 3 and 5pm. I am about to start a maintenance phase of lifting and drop some sets. Do yall think I had enough time to recover from my workouts before practice or should I save the weights for after the track.
and

[i]I actually feel that it is easier for me to warm up during my sprint sessions after wights. I had previously been doing alot of work in the weight room. Starting this week I will be significally cutting down my weight volume so I think I should be ok.

Oh I also do plyos in the weight room before I lift. I do about 50 various platform and depth jumps. I hav ebeen able to handle it so far. [/i]

I would expect these are relevant. Is this a change? I would suggest track then weights.

Well My pb is 10.38 I ran that in 04-05. During the 07-08 year I was fresh of a meet running 10.75. I was rounding into shape. That week at practice I tore my quad which ended my season. 08-09 my sb was 10.9. 09-10 sb was 11.0 and now here we are.

As for the races im really not panicking yet. Every season including my pr season I run 11.3-11.4 for the first couple meets. Prior to my quad injury i would start dropping fast times around april to may. The past few season I have been struggling to break 11 all season. Now last season I was really weak in the weight room. I would struggle to bench 225 3 times and my squatting was terrible also. Now I am twice as strong.

The only change in lifestyle is that now I am a PE teacher. I think this is great because I have access to a great weight room and track. THe only downside is being beat up from the sun all day but im able to manage that.

To me it looked like a guy who can lift the gym “trying” to run.

Agree on arm mechanics

Back looks like it’s bending over in the last half too? Like you’re getting sucked into the track.

It you freeze frame around half way - it looks like you’re sitting, not on a bar stool, but at times on a lounge chair!! Landing way in front of your COG.

Obviously you have the strength - You need to focus on technique, re-learn how to apply Force through a straight line from head to toe. Get your flexibility back, you might be full of muscle knotts??

Have you been doing any Mediball throws? Plyros?
Do you get regular massage or use foamrolling?

Being a full second off your PB - you could easily consider everything you did in that run today Wrong :slight_smile: It will be great to see you do it all right and rack off a nice fast time again. Good luck

To me it looked like a guy who can lift the gym “trying” to run.

Agree on arm mechanics

Back looks like it’s bending over in the last half too? Like you’re getting sucked into the track.

It you freeze frame around half way - it looks like you’re sitting, not on a bar stool, but at times on a lounge chair!! Landing way in front of your COG.

Obviously you have the strength - You need to focus on technique, re-learn how to apply Force through a straight line from head to toe. Get your flexibility back, you might be full of muscle knotts??

Have you been doing any Mediball throws? Plyros?
Do you get regular massage or use foamrolling?

Being a full second off your PB - you could easily consider everything you did in that run today Wrong :slight_smile: It will be great to see you do it all right and rack off a nice fast time again. Good luck

Stef put up a gem of a post the other day in her journal

When I trained with Charlie for that one day, one of the key things we concentrated on, was stepping right underneath the body, and not trying to create a larger-than-comfortable stride (the typical over-stride). He said that I might feel like I’m actually making smaller steps and going slower, but it’s not the fact, as the maximum force can be applied down there (center of gravity), and one ends up being up higher in the air for longer.

The first thing I noticed was how flat footed your landing right from the drive phase it seems to the finish.

How much attention do you pay to strengthening/elasticating the achilles tendon/calves/shins/ankle complex away from sprinting alone?.

Your losing a lot of power there, hence time. Some circles say those provide 20-25% of the power needed for an explosive start but get even more important as you climb to maxv. Your going to run a hell of a lot faster decreasing ground contact times, yours being very long (flat footed). Checkout the frame at 0:19 at ground contact for example. It seems the whole race was run that way?.

Away from there, obviously your hip extension strength is good.

In the gym, I would start paying more attention to increasing/strengthening the ‘power’ in the core/hip flexion region, develop the tendons of the deltoid region (long/short head of biceps brachii) & obviously making the lower limbs stiffer/more elasticated (achilles tendon/calves/shins/ankle).

lol. Yea you are right. I have become a weight lifter running track. I also noticed my front foot landing too far in front. That was funny about being sucked into the track. I think the added weight may be the cause of that. I usually try to get a massage twice a month. I may need to see my flexibility guy also. Thanks for the feedback. My focus for the next month will be running mechanics and weight loss.

I have always concentrated on dorsiflexion but I had non in that race. Last year I was having tight calf issues. It may be the cause. What excercises would you suggest for me to increase core and hip flexion. Thanks

This is something I may have to put on my refridgerator. This is exactly how I felt the year I got hurt. Right before my injurry. I had tried to replicate that form after but I was never able to find it again. This really put alot of things into perspective.

You only have to look at the fastest times of all time to realise the importance of maintaining/strengthening that whole dorsiflexion phase/area.

Good example of this.

//youtu.be/-gFXa4AcD5w

When/What did your tight calf issues stem from?. Dehydration is a big concern, but you talk about supping caffeine/creatine etc which is probably the fastest way to dehydrating & being in hot weather too.

Something I would recommend to everybody who suffers from cramping is Drinking Himalayan Salt Sole which houses 84 natural trace minerals in just one (super) food & its a real super food. There is no way athletes get all those from diet alone.

Himalayan crystal salt is a full-spectrum salt. Instead of just getting sodium and chloride, you’re getting a full spectrum of trace minerals as well. Table salt is just sodium chloride. You don’t get the trace minerals in table salt, and it is those trace minerals – those other 80+ elements that you need in order to be a healthy, vibrant human being.

//youtu.be/aUmepo4mtjI

From being flamed in the previous thread there is no way I’m gonna talk about exercise recommendation.

Don’t forget the tendons. A chain is no stronger than its weakest link.

I had been having good practices with my dorsi flex. Shit went out the window during the race. I Had calf issues last season which was causing my achilles to be sore all the time. But this year i am feeling fine.