Short Sprints Training

Would a set up like this be good to train for the short sprints(50, 55, and 60)
Day 1-Speed(acc. up to 35-40m) and Plyo
Day 2-Weights and Jump Rope Tempo
Day 3-Speed, Plyo and Weights(Hills, starts, 10-20m sprints w/ 10m fly in, from falling start, or standing start)
Day 4-Weights and Jump Rope Tempo
Day 5-Speed, Plyo and Weights(MaxV flying 30 and 20m)

Would this be sufficient? Two acc days and one maxV day? Weights are split up into 4 days because of time restrictions(very low volume, 2 exercises a session). Also before a speed session would doing 15-20 reps of a med ball exercise be good? I normally do 1-2 plyos on plyo days. Does this set up look good?

I question the usefulness of asking for evaluations of arbitrary 1-week routines without any context. Whether a routine will actually help depends on such factors as the training phase you’re in, current capabilities, goals, weaknesses, strengths, and technique. The longer term context - how this is going to be periodised over the season - is vital as well.

How about rethinking your question, and possibly rephrasing it, with the following points in mind:

1. What is it you want to achieve exactly?
  2. What are your current times over the distances you mentioned, what are your targets, and in what time frame do you plan to achieve them?
  3. What are your current strength and fitness levels? (quick benchmarks: strength - squat, clean, bench; fitness: 150m or 200m time, 300m or 400m time)
  4. In what training phase are you currently? What phases have you just completed?
  5. What do you have in mind with respect to periodising of the load and intensity of your suggested routine over the next training block?
  6. Are there any other factors (injury, other sports, time constraints, restricted access to facilities) that should be taken into consideration?
  1. What is it you want to achieve exactly?
  2. What are your current times over the distances you mentioned, what are your targets, and in what time frame do you plan to achieve them?
  3. What are your current strength and fitness levels? (quick benchmarks: strength - squat, clean, bench; fitness: 150m or 200m time, 300m or 400m time)
  4. In what training phase are you currently? What phases have you just completed?
  5. What do you have in mind with respect to periodising of the load and intensity of your suggested routine over the next training block?
  6. Are there any other factors (injury, other sports, time constraints, restricted access to facilities) that should be taken into consideration?

Sorry

1. I would like to run fast times for next years indoor track season(55m), which I feel I am capable of with a loss of body fat and serious sprint training which Ive never really done

2.I ran 55 freshman year, always around mind 6.9’s @235lbs and a good level of bodyfat, also I was 2 inches shorter, and by next nov. Right now I’m 217 5’11" round 21% bodyfat(been gettin lazy with the diet the last few weeks, as well as mass put on for football in august is sticking around). I think low 6.5’s for 55 would be a good goal because loss of body fat plus serious sprint training and weight training should make for good results based on my times as a frosh.

3.Its ok, I can recover well, but I couldnt run a good 100, Squat-405box squat single in training, Pwr Clean-265, Bench-245(i never bench) have never run those timed.

4.Im coming off of a 3 week layoff because of injury so I guess I would be about to start GPP

5.3-1-3 approach, repeated up until pre comp, going between limit strength and power blocks. More focus on starts and acc during limit strength blocks and maxV during power blocks also to wave intensity using two limit strength blocks and then two power blocks. Also thought of using 2-1-2 in order to make sure there is no over reaching or over training.

6.Injuries are all gone, no time constraints other than school(i get out at 2:05 and everything is open until 6:30, so normally I’ll sprint and do plyo, then rest for between 30m to 1hr depending on how I feel, then lift). I do however play football, so I am trying to think of a way to keep the speed I have gotten over the time during football season(mid august to beginning of Nov).

Hope this helps thanks.

By “next year’s indoor season” do you mean the season starting January 2004, or the season starting December 2004?

If you want to start racing in January 2004 (that’s in two weeks time, at most - with Christmas and New Year in between) after an injury layoff, with 21% bodyfat that needs to be reduced, then that poses some interesting problems indeed.

Is this indeed the case or have I misread you?

Yes, you did, I meant December 2004, again you posts are appreciated.

Ah, I see. You might want to look into GPP sources such as Mr. Francis’ recently released DVD; the routine you posted is (in my opinion) unsuitable for a GPP block.

Are these feasable goals based on what youve heard? In case you didnt read above posts i ran mid 6.9’s for 55 as a frosh@235 and now am 217 with good amount of body fat(21%). So is a consistant sub 6.5 for 55m and sub 7 for 60m a good goal to aim for?

I cant afford the DVD, i thought Id go about GPP with two speed days and one hill day(1 speed day acc, the hill day with a few flat sprints up to 80m and the third day top speed, higher volume, as well as some body weight exercises and weights, along with light high rep med ball exercises and light plyo’s). Does that sound right?

Day 1-Starts and Acc up to 20m, Med Ball, Light plyo, weights
Day 2-Tempo and weights(2x3x100@60%)
Day 3-Hills and a few sprints up to 80m w. a short fly in, med ball, light plyo, weights
Day 4-Tempo and weights(2x3x100@60%)
Day 5-MaxV flying 20m, Med ball, Light Plyo, weights

Does that look better for a GPP phase, waving volume of sprints from block to block(i figured two blocks of GPP would be appropraite, or 6 weeks) and sprints are done on grass?

Right now I’m 217 5’11" round 21% bodyfat(been gettin lazy with the diet the last few weeks, as well as mass put on for football in august is sticking around).

Damn, you could bounce down the track, nevermind sprint down it. I wouldn’t like to meet you down a dark alley.

Could I tempt you with my disease, a road bike… :smiley:

Also, if your serious about becoming a half decent athlete, you got to get that diet sorted out. I stopped eating trash food when I was 16. Ya McDonalds, Pizza Huts etc are all for kids…

haha your a funny one…yeh Im still fast, so your point would be…? hmm again with the bike, how about I just start eating right and working out and let the rest take care of itself…biking doesnt improve speed, get that into your head, biking will not make someone faster, Im already fast, so how about I take the right route and actually seriously sprint train and eat right? Bounce…right Id “bounce” right past you and your bike.

Your still fast with that bodyweight???..

You won’t be fast at anything over 400m that is for sure. Biking in your opinion won’t improve speed but god damn, it sure drops bodyweight. If you don’t start eating right, your body will never reach its optimum performance level.

You could do tempo work in the pool. It’s great for overall fitness and it won’t kill your legs. In the pool, run on the spot for 45sec with 15sec rest for 2 sets of 10, with a 10min stretch break between sets. You can hit between 110 and 130 steps/45sec interval (make sure you get good extension)

what depth water Charlie? Chest depth? Do this is the deep end floating or shallow?

thanks in advance

You can do it chest or neck deep with feet on the bottom or with a flotation device. We always did it touching.

When doing this type of tempo in place in the pool how fast should you be running in place? Is there a way that you can decribe it?

Like running on the spot at a rate of 110 to 130 steps in each 45sec interval (as above)

1. So the set up looks good?

2. I like the idea of running in the pool, where do you come up with this stuff?!?!

RNR, look at the name of the thread, Im not looking for speed over that kind of distance.

Not my idea. Actually Dr Doug Clement gave me the suggestion of the formula for water work many years ago- multiply the rep time by 50% over land work and reduce the recovery times by 50% also- hence the rep times described.

Charlie,

While doing the pool runs, is the athletes objective to:

1. get your knees up as high as possible?

or

1. don’t worry about the knees, just focus on stepping over the calf?

or

1. forget about 1 and 2, just focus on kicking yer butt with heels?