Shawn Crawford

I would like to know, what’s happened with Shawn Crawford. He ran very well 100m in the past and right now is around 10.2. I couple of times watched their training sessions and everything was so slow… I thought it was good and their coach had a plan, but track season started and …

I red his interview on unoversalsports.com and seems to me he is not satisfide with his trainings -Trying to get back to that form is a little bit difficult right now because the things I practice now aren’t the things I practiced back then,” Crawford said. “Back then, it was like drag racing in practice every day. Now, we do a lot of tempo work and you don’t get the chance to go pedal to the metal and work on form while going all-out. When that’s the case, it’s going to be more difficult to get into a race and drop the hammer down when you’re not used to dropping the hammer down every day in practice. In my mind, I’m a Ferrari and I just want to go fast all of the time. But I’m starting to come around.”

Why didn’t he prepare same way when he ran 9.8?

I would like to know the opinion of Charlie…

Bad coaching? lolz.
he’s racing usain bolt tomorrow in toronto, ill be attending.

Bobby Kersee coached 6 medals in Beijing, and the last TWO Olympic gold medalists in the 100h and the two-time world champion in the same event, not to mention Allyson’s three gold medals in Osaka.

I don’t think that qualifies as bad coaching. But Bobby’s a long to short guy. The training is based on 400m tempo stuff. Shawn really only had one strong year in the 100m–and he did get that second 200m medal last year to give away.

I wonder why Crawford would be running in a long to short program if he prefers a short to long program?

Is it just a matter of geography? I would think he could do what he wants- he must make a decent living on the circuit. I remember him in 2004, he looked like a real front-runner for the gold, but he really seemed to blow it mentally in the final. As soon as he did that Tarzan yell, I remember thinking “this guy is too nervous, he isn’t going to take it.”

What happened in 2004? I know Charlie talked about it in the Vancouver download I believe, but I thought Crawford probably should have won.

Shawn’s body is telling him what he needs; he verbalized it in the interview I read but he has more faith in his coach then his own body. So unless he goes back to his old system, I don’t feel he will be on top again.

Switching coaches/training styles that got you to the elite level is not a good idea; just look at JW from Bayler.

I have learned to hold my praise for coaches who collect fame off athletes/teams who win world championships and such as the credit might belong to the high school/neighborhood coach who groomed the athlete for 7 years BEFORE they even got to collage or the elite level.

As far as I’m concerned many of Kersee’s athletes (mostly girls)were standout athletes long before he got them. Also, why is it that kersee seems to only handle girls? If you are a sprint coach; you are a sprint coach, plain and simple. By the way, I think kersee was the last stop for that High school standout Roy Martian.

“He went to Southern Methodist and did not do well in classes. He went briefly to Texas Southern to try to restore himself academically. Now he is turning to U.C.L.A. because Bob Kersee coaches there. He has become Kersee’s latest project.”

http://www.nytimes.com/1988/07/25/sports/us-team-a-blend-of-new-and-old.html?pagewanted=all

http://www.dallasnews.com/video/index.html?nvid=256033

Crawford had a solid day today.

19.73 (+3.3) - 1st place

That sound you hear in the background is certain people on this site wiping the egg off their faces. At age 31, that is a lifetime PB for Shawn, I believe.

You don’t win as much as Charlie, John Smith, Tellez, or Bobby Kersee have won without being awfully damn good.

Is it really a lifetime PB with that wind? Let’s see what happens because that is the only time he has gone sub 20 this season and he hasn’t been near his PB since he has been with Kersee.

Since Kersee is such a great coach, why can’t he get any of his mega talents to have a halfway decent start (can’t get Allyson to even approach something consistent)? The fact he gets handed guys and gals that are elite by the shoe companies will help him continue his success.

Are you serious? Perhaps he isn’t concerned with the start (for 200m/400m runners), because he doesn’t need to be. There’s plenty of track to reel people in who beat you in the first 30m, especially if they’ve burned a bunch of energy doing it. He’s also a L-S guy, so the starts are obviously not given as much emphasis as in S-L. If you want to argue that Kersee isn’t a good coach, can you come up with better or more detailed reasons?

And LKH, I’ll admit I didn’t think Crawford had it in him still. His early season 100m runs didn’t look promising. He’s got a good chance of picking up a Bronze behind the two favourites at this point.

Actually, Allyson DOES work on her start, starting in early January. But the thing is, she’s a “hardgainer” type. She seems to like the gym work better than the track work–but she can’t put an ounce of mass on. I don’t think it’s Bobby; It’s the type of athlete Allyson is. She’s never going to be a great starter. But that semi heat could be great material for Charlie’s next video–everything NOT to do in the blocks.

And LKH, I’ll admit I didn’t think Crawford had it in him still. His early season 100m runs didn’t look promising. He’s got a good chance of picking up a Bronze behind the two favourites at this point.

I don’t think Gay is doing the 200 in Berlin. But the thing with Shawn’s early 100’s is the LONG to short thing. They hadn’t started what they call speedwork (I think that’s in the 60-120m range) until early June, and Shawn ran 10.07w I think in the 100 semi or final.

Look, we aren’t talking about the athletes not having fast starts–the starts are not just incredibly slow, they are poorly coached technically. If you can’t see that, you must not understand the sprints. Allyson looks worse starting than she did in her high school days. What excuse is there for that?

Look, her start is horrific TECHNICALLY. It isn’t just that she isn’t strong enough. Crawford too has horrible technical issues with his starting. It is not just that they don’t have good speed–their starts are clearly not well coached. Beyond that, these athletes have had minimal to no improvement since going to Kersee. Are you really going to act as-if Allyson has had some great development with Kersee? Give me a break.

I don’t think Gay is doing the 200 in Berlin. But the thing with Shawn’s early 100’s is the LONG to short thing. They hadn’t started what they call speedwork (I think that’s in the 60-120m range) until early June, and Shawn ran 10.07w I think in the 100 semi or final.

Great so he ran 10.07 with huge wind. Terrific, way off his PR and basically irrelevant. He has not run well in the 100m since being with Kersee. He has always been great in the 200m and got one fast windy time down this year. Look at the rest of his times.

Now since you apparently see what everyone in California is doing, you can tell everyone how Kersee has gotten a large part of his athlete stable.

I haven’t actually seen the videos yet from this previous weekend, though it’s good you clarified, because I didn’t know what you meant before.

Here you go, Womens Semi 1.

Oh dear god that was horrible. Her heat was pretty bad too, but not quite that atrocious.

That is very interesting.

http://theviewfromthefinishline.blogspot.com/2009/11/shawn-crawford-to-john-smith.html

Great move, maybe our friend lkh can update us on the training etc…