seagrave

Hey CF what do you think about this outdoor precomp workout by seagrave, look pretty tough to me?

mon: acc/jump power
4sets
30m sled
10 bounds
30m normal

Tue: short speed end
2x6x60 95%
1/5min
med ball circuit
gs work

Wed: tempo
2x6x100

thur: acc/jump power
2x50 bounds
5x10 hurdle hops
4sets
30-60-30

fri: short speed end
2x5x50 95%
45/5min
2x120 3min rest
med ball circuit
gs

sat: long speed end
150-300-200
15-20min rest

Not trying to be funny or something, but whoever is going to do this is craazzyyy

pretty though is not how i would call this LOL

He said the workout was for a 10.9 runner i would love to see what he would do for a 10.2 guy.

Where exactly did you find this workout schedule? I see workouts that are allegedly attributed to various coaches and it’s nice to have some confirmation of the source. Consider how much bullshit has been attributed to Charlie (e.g., pre-race squatting).

As for the training on its own terms, I don’t like the short speed end work (which is probably no man’s land medium intensity) the day after high intensity work. The speed end work says 95% intensity, but there’s no way you could really maintain such speed with such short recoveries, especially a day after a high intensity workout. They probably mean 95% subjective effort, which in reality will probably end up being 80-85% best performance. What’s that going to do for you?

The short speed end is really spilt runs, the workout came from a old training manual which could be why the workouts look outdated. But some of this look like what he did at lsu back in the day.

comp phase:
mon:
2x30
2x30 over speed
2x60 acc
1x120
2x50 bound
5x10 hurdle hops

tue: tempo

wed:
5x10 hurdle hops
60-60-100-60
2xflying 30

thur:
5x4 bounds with acc to 30m

fri: rest

10.9?! LMAOO

even when i ran 10.6x
i didn’t even do a quarter of this workout

But at a certain point you will have to work HARD… (but smart)

Edit… i looked at it like 8 times…
i think it’s really too much…

I think this sequencing right here is trouble. Plyos and speed work two days in a row? Why not do them on Wed and Fri and put the rest day or another tempo on Thursday?

I think the gpp/spp has prepared the athlete for this work.

I would hate to think what the workload was like during the SPP. :eek:

his workload and setup for gpp/spp is not bad. gpp is more tempo and general conditioning and spp is more acc and tempo.

Acceleration and tempo in the SPP but large quantities of SE right before comp?

10.9 for FEMALE perhaps :slight_smile:

Will high volumes of SE, compared to the other high intensity training components, have greater negative effects on short-term readiness?

If so, could you explain the reasoning?

Thanks.

I would expect that greater HI anything right before comp would have a negative effect on short term readiness.
HI stress is the combination of height and breadth of exposure. As SE has much greater breadth than speed alone and is close in height, the stress will be very high indeed.
The greater the load, the longer it takes to peak from it- provided you can tolerate it in the first place. If you can’t, you’ll get injured, get trashed, or both.

Thanks, I understand that large volumes of any high intensity stimulus would be detrimental, but was curious if there was anything particular about SE that would be problematic. I see that large breadth of the stimulus inherent to SE would be the culprit. Thanks again.

Does the fact that SE would be more similar to the competition stimulus than the other components come into play as well? Or is it simply a function of high load, regardless of the high intensity component that creates it, that is the real issue?

SE is prob close to the event but why would you maximise the load there right before comp and not during the SPP so you can rebound from it prior to comp?

I wasn’t suggesting that/asking if SE should be used because it’s closer to the event, but perhaps it SHOULDN’T be used not only because of the breadth dimension, but also because it IS more specific.

I’d concentrate it more in the SPP and then rely on the meets themselves for much of the SE work later.

Thanks for your help.

Loren was notorious for working his athletes very hard. When he was LSU they pressed the rules regarding off-season contact hours to the max. Even his low-intensity recovery days are fairly tough.

If you think that this schedule is extreme you should see what he put 400m hurdlers through :frowning: