Rouge Serret smashes PB with 10.17 - fifth fastest Aussie ever.

I can think of an athlete you coached back in the day who has made a nearly identical claim (among others :rolleyes: ). Pretty funny stuff. :slight_smile:

I know plenty of athletes who have been to Perth and not run PBā€™s- no doubt the track is good but you have to be good shape to make the most of the conditions.

From memory PJ ran 9.91,9.88 windy on the old perth track and still ran fast over seas(9.93 ) - same can be said for Shirvo.

A trip to Perth doesnā€™t = Pb, when you factor travel from the East Coast ( 14 hrs both ways ) and adjustment in time zones- etc athletes really sacrifice 5 days of training to race there and take a financial hit. If they do PB congratulations- balance of probabilities most athletes wonā€™t PB there, especially when you consider all the other variables when racing in Perth.

And Perthā€™s current golden boy Ben Offereins has run his PB (for 400m, thatā€™s his primary distance) on the weathered track in Sydney this year.

most of the times getting the attention is for the 100m, not sure I have come across many breakthrough PBs in the 200 or 400, probably because the favourable tailwind for the 100m means a back straight headwind for the 400m

It that a good or bad thing, I wouldnā€™t run 400 for quids.:cool:

Not sure about the layout of the new stadium. Are they racing the 100m from west to east (towards the inland). Thatā€™s how it used to be at the old track. But I was there in 87 when Ben ran against Allan Wells and they turned it around and Ben won walking to the line in 9.7 hand & windy.

Itā€™s great when officials go to the trouble of turning the 100s around so athletes benefit from the wind on any given day. But it would be much better if the track designers allowed in their plans to run the sprints in either direction.

It would be just as easy to run on the otherside of the track, if anyone breaks an Aust record running in the wrong direction it wonā€™t be recognised. The IAAF rules say curbing on the left in lane one.

Sometimes the attitude who cares comes to mind.:slight_smile:

ā€¦ curbing on the left in lane one isā€¦what?

Not with you. ā€œCurbing on the left in lane oneā€ - is OK? Not OK? Why only in lane one?

Why do I have the feeling Iā€™m going to regret engaging here :o

All good mate,

IAAF rules say clockwise with curbing on the left, no ,more than 9 complete lanes in 400m track as many as you like in a straight, curbing to be on the left in lane 1. Canā€™t be bothered looking up the IAAF rules and the T&F construction manual for the rule numbersā€¦

You know that AA are now following the rules (about bloody time), from the time you check in to the time you walk off the track you are in their hands, like it or lump it, canā€™t see why running the wrong way would be any different.

100m at NSW State Champs last weekend:

http://www.runnerstribe.com/event/main/video/id/236825-NSW-Track-and-Field-Championships-2010/vid/322707-NSW-Champs-Men-100-metres

Wind in the opposite direction was only +0.3 (ie -0.3)

Interesting Bankstown Sports has 3 athletes in two different uniforms, guess a couple of rules were broken.

No one was hurt so all is good.

Wow, Scott Richardson! What a blast from the past. I havenā€™t seen him compete for about 10 years. How long has he been back in the sport?

Scott was floated around a few meets here and there for the last three seasons.

Good running from Milburn, 2nd in 200m and killed the 400m field.

I raced him in Blacktown in September of 2006. I believe this was his second track race back, but heā€™d been doing some beach sprinting before. His semifinal at last weekā€™s NSW champs (10.53, +0.8) was quite a breakthrough performance, after pretty much everything else since his return to the sport had been in the 10.8-10.9 range.

Donā€™t they also require the race ends at the finish line? That would rule out using the back straight for the 100m and 200m as they do sometimes in Adelade.

Do you know why he left the sport for so long?

IAAF Technical Competition Rules.

Rule: 163.1

"The direction of running shall be left hand inside. The lanes shall be numbered with the left-hand inside lane numbered 1.

I am at the last competition in NSW before the Nationals at that fast track in PERTH.

Boring,

someone put on some loud music, maybe someone in the crowd at the Royal Easter Show might come and see what the noise is about.

:wink:

Iā€™m not sure, but it may have been the disappointment of just having missed out on being selected for the 4x100m relay for the Sydney Games. He also is a Trance DJ, so working at night may have made proper training difficult for him.

ask him next time you see him, be polite and curtious make him feel welcome :wink: