Ross looks to bare bones

Getting a bit flustered hey Sharma? What state are you in again? Is that NSW, VIC or the state of confusion?

I can only assume Josh needed a few runs at Lampton - and as he got through OK on the day, I can’t see what the issue is.

You have convinced yourself it was a mistake for him to run, no-one else.

I believe it was probably the accupuncture accident after his run at Lampton, that has contributed to his current lack of race condition.

I had an athlete who suffered an injury in November and he did not have a competitive run until mid January. He was well below his best in that hit one out, running 48.58.

Despite a few people saying he was crap and running poorly I knew what I was doing and decided to load up in Hobart as he badly needed races to harden him up.

Two days later, he went to Hobart and ran 11.05 for the 100m(Friday), 200m at 21.64 PB, then a 400m at 48.30 and a 200m relay leg.

Last Saturday he ran a solid 47.29 in Canberra, another second quicker than the week before.

There’s nothing like a few tough races to harden & bring you up.

Who knows what Josh might be like now if not for the accupuncture incident.

By the way, Sharmer, you sure do talk to a lot of people…according to what you write here.

How about less talk the talk and a little more walk the walk.

The pages of your career book quickly turn, you need to fill them up with achievements.

Sharmer…whats ur background as far as biomechanics and physiology? also which coaches have you trained under and with which athletes, would just like to know???

That’s actually quite funny :smiley:

Running at the skins race at Lampton is contradictory to the CF training philosophy at that time year.

Game set match- Until I see the justification for racing in the skins, based on the CF theory. I can guarantee not many of us would have known about the Lampton Skins race until I made us aware it.

You know Ross was only trained up to 60m in Dec. Yet they ran 2x120, which wasn’t just hard for the first 50m. That Semi run by JR was flat out. After running this 2x120, they decided on the arduous skins event.

The big deal is - if you’re not ready, than you shouldn’t be racing in such events. It messes with technique and increases the risk of injury. You need to learn from mistakes and not deny them.

have I got this right?

JR was paid to appear at a particular event.
as part of the condition of his payment he was (possibly) expected to compete in the 70m skins.
sharmer is sure this is a terrible error because he would have to run multiple 70’s.
JR was eliminated in the first round.

is that correct??

if this is correct then it does seem a bit odd, mind you we only have a part of the picture.

Rather than speculate and assume wouldn’t it be best to wait and see what happens? :confused:

In the meantime I’m sure both Nanny and JR would appreciate support not the crap being dished their way. How anyone thinks rippping Nanny a new one is helping JR is beyond me. :rolleyes:

The multiple 70s skins was not a condition of payment. They randomly decided to race in it. Probably to pick up some easy dollars after missing out on the gift final.

Are you saying Nanny is a moronic fool now?

Originally my appraisal of the Lampton gift was positive. I offered nothing but encouragement at Lampton to JR & Nanny in regards to handicapping for future races.

However I was called an idiot for questioning the choice of therapist. After the Mingara run, I suggested that Ross was in 10.5 shape at best. Nanny again dismissed my concerns, suggesting that I was purely hoping for JR and him to fail. Maybe if more notice was taken to these points, than this Canberra fiasco could have been avoided.

Who wishes any coach or athlete to fail?

I won’t sit back and let the facts be twisted. No one even knew about the Skins event until I brought it. And I would have let it slide. People should be careful who they declare War on.

Obviously some mistakes were made, let’s move on, and hope that the same ones are not repeated. But let’s get one thing straight, I am not hoping for anyone to fail.

I was very surprised with the decision to run the demanding skins event. It wasn’t the best decision.

There is a worrying trend- Lampton Skins, acupuncturist, Mingara, Canberra. I really hope JR runs at least 10.3 at nationals, so he can see hope at the end of the tunnel.

Firstly, I am very surprised a battling 70/120runner trying to pick up a race on the pro circuit would team up with an international 44s 400m athlete. Different events and massively different standards. Looking at his results, it wasn’t the best decision. :o

Secondly my view is, based on my experiences, running at Lambton has little if nothing to do with how Josh ran at Canberra. It was a decision made at the time that Nanny & Josh thought was OK. Providing he got through it alright, it was just another step along the road to recovery. There is no right or wrong answer on it.

There is one massive flaw in Sharma’s arguments and its a recurring theme throughout most of the waffle he adds to this site.

His comments are based on his theories, mainly based on observations. From that he deducts whether it is black or white, right or wrong. There is no middle ground or grey areas.

He relies almost entirely on the results and successes of others to mould his view.
Consequently Sharma cannot imagine what it would be like to actually have to make a decision based on his own practical experiences.

He talks of trenches but he’s never been in one.

Not for him to look up from the start of the final at Central Park Stawell on Easter Monday, and feel the pressure and the weight of expectations of stablemates, family, friends and those who have wagered their hard earned.

Nor is it for him to know what it’s like to have to make coaching decisions on a day to day basis, sometimes getting them right but other times getting them wrong, but then being able to bank that information, so it can be recalled for similiar circumstance in the future.

Coaching can be a brutal environment with plenty of critics ready to lay the boots in when things go awry. My experience is the good ones survive and prosper. The bad ones end up bulldusting their way through, ruinig careers along the way.

One day Sharma might enlist in its ranks and really get the feel of being in the trenches instead of playing make believe coach in an athletic version of fantasy football hiding behind the safety of a computer screen, where his decisions can never be scrutinised.

You can only make personal insults because you lack the intellect to debate the issues at hand. You’re the kingpin of the Albany athletics forum, where personal insults are the norm.

You only lower yourself. Everyone’s here to read your below-the-belt comments.

Sharmer, you’re the one who appears to have introduced the personal insults to this once pristine board:p . Calling Nanny a moron in so many words is well and truly an ordinary effort, below the belt. There is so much about his coaching situation with Ross that you don’t have a clue about, yet off you go hitting out at him.

Speaking as a moderator now, Youngy has made a great contribution to this forum as a coach with a special understanding due to his practical experience and successes in a particular area of the sport - handicap sprinting over 120m. If you give respect, you might earn it in return. I have resisted drawing attention to the Reps points, but they probably do reflect the views of this forum with regards you and the Youngster.

dickhead’s dilusion : they’re just jelous…

show some respect

Those skins runs at Lambton could have potentially ended JR season. No one has answered the question as to why Nanny risked Ross in such an event. That is the question. The decision to race in such a format was a moronic choice. Why get someone early in their preparation racing 70m x5 from 90s recovery?

Notice that I stick to the topic, and I don’t deviate.

Earlier Nanny stated

“What happened was Josh was at the osteo’s and was asked had he had acupuncture before, then before he had a chance to answer he put in a needle in his calf, right away Josh’s leg lifted off the table"

To my surprise, at the Sydney Track Classic I asked Ross what happened with the osteo. He said to me that his coach sent him to a acupuncturist to receive needles, and they had hit a nerve. Note that Nanny did conceal this earlier, trying to make out that the osteo just randomly did it. Nanny is personally responsible for what happened. Additionally, Nanny conveniently failed to make us aware of these skin races.

P.S. - Don’t try and pretend to be objective when you’re standing up for one of your friends.

A good coach is always objective, how else can you force change when it is required. You get nowhere by accepting flawed work. I’ve sacked two Olympic finalists from my squad over the years so I can assure you I am completely objective when the occasion calls for it.

If Nanny has made a mistake, he will learn from it. If Josh has made a mistake, hopefully he will learn from it.

You may be right about the 70s skins coming too early in his season. But as I read it, Josh’s current situation owes more to off-track issues than any number of skins races.

How many runs did he have in this skins event? Do you think this is why he had to receive acupuncture? Did Josh want to run the skins? Did Nanny want him to run the skins? Sometimes athletes do things they’re not supposed to do, sometimes coach do too. It’s human nature. We all learn as we go, or try to anyway.

I was standing between Ross & Nanny and the decision was mutual. Hallem also supported this choice to run the Skins. It can’t to be totally pinned on Nanny. The decision to run was based on the assumption that Ross would not be conceding large starts to the other runners. Therefore Ross would pick up some easy cash.

When handicaps where don’t done. Ross had no chance unless he was in 6.5 e shape. He was eliminated after the first round. However if the handicapper got it right, than Ross would of ran 5 repeat 70m from 90s, which was a very risky proposition.

Sometimes in the heat of competition, we can get caught up in the moment. And we forget the bigger picture. Maybe that’s what happened by entering the skins.

I believe Nanny has been hyper defensive on here. Yes I am sure his friends on here are standing up for their comrade. However some comments have been derogatory and the standards have declined at times.

My experience in the clinical setting involves athletes recovering from a wide range of injuries. These include Achilles tendon ruptures to Knee construction or herniated disc. This year the number meniscal tear patients have been significant.

Clinical experience allows for a critical appraisal of the human body. You don’t have my clinical experience or understanding. You have improperly exaggerated the value of yourself in comparison to my achievements. On a daily basis I review randomised, blinded, and placebo-controlled outcome studies. This research is reviewed in order to follow evidence based practices.

I am way deeper in the trenches than you. Rehabilitation from complete tendon tears requires strong applied understanding of biomechanics and physiology. If I get it wrong, people just don’t run slow, they may never walk again normally.

Really there are no comparisons between you and me. Your achievements are dwarfed by my clinical experience and understanding of the human body.

PS- You continually refer to the lack of periodisation in my training. Its just shows how clueless you are. My training currently is in a extended general prep phase. Scared tissue requires repetitive loading at lower intensities to reform. I haven’t touched on my speed so I very happy where I am at.

Its hard if you don’t know how to motivate yourself. There are alot of successful sports people out there who coach themselves or are part of a one-to-one set up (Boxers,Golfers etc) Having a great mentor(s) is also a good idea. I’m lucky to have that in my armoury.

its was 3 x 70m btw if he ran them all…