Ross looks to bare bones

By Mike Hurst

November 23, 2007 12:00am

THIS is Australia’s fastest man like you have never seen him before.

Make no bones about it, exciting new technology is enabling biomechanical experts at the NSW Institute of Sport to give Josh Ross and other Olympic aspirants an edge in the countdown to the Beijing Games in August.

Winner of the past four national 100m championships and two Stawell Gifts as backmarker, Ross, 26, is the best sprinter in the country but he still has plenty of shortcomings.

NSWIS staff, including biomechanics expert Mark Moresi, himself a former international 400m runner, are studying Ross on special video film that has helped his new coach identify technique problems.

But the most intriguing and potentially most valuable scientific evaluation may come through the use of the Vicon computer program, which provides a three-dimensional perspective of the subject.

The athlete appears as a skeleton that can be viewed either as a still picture or on the move. This is done by using a series of infra-red cameras.

The Vicon system creates a 3D reconstruction of the athlete in motion, enabling a detailed analysis of his movement pattern, be it sprinting from the starting blocks or hurling a discus.

“Once we’ve got the reconstruction on the computer it allows us to get any sort of measurement, such as joint velocities, distances from toe to knee, toe to hip or whatever so that we can work out the athlete’s centre of mass,” Moresi said. “Ultimately we can track all of the athlete’s movements, efficient or otherwise.”

Ross and his new coach, Paul Nancarrow, have embraced the science as part of an overhaul Ross wants to make to his training in a bid to produce his best at an international championship.

National sprints coach Paul Hallam, who works at NSWIS and is working with Nancarrow, said analysis had revealed Ross has a few technical problems. “He yields at the hip and knee on his left leg which means his foot collapses after an initial good contact with the track,” Hallam explained. “You’re only as strong as your weakest link in the chain of movement so we’re working to correct this.”

Ross will target the world indoor 60m title this summer. Nancarrow believes that if his training goes to plan Ross will be faster off the starting blocks at the indoor tournament in Valencia, Spain, from March 7 to 9.

The indoor meet follows the annual Australian championships in Brisbane the previous week (Feb 28-March 2) when Ross will be gunning for his fifth consecutive national 100m crown.

will be interesting to see the the 2 lots of footage lined up when we go through this again in a few weeks as the current footage is of him prior to the changes we have been working on.

What are the changes? Is it something technical or is it a strength/balance issue you’re working?

combination of all these which will be ongoing…

he had trouble clearing the lead arm due to a forward lean in set,
he was pre loading his legs prior to the start and had the tendancy to shove out the back and force the issue…

his comment after starts the other day “that felt awesome i was at the 20m mark before i realised what was going on”

we are now in our 4th week together and i am impressed with his ability and self awareness to adapt right away to any minor technical change…

Nice guy Mark Moresi. Maybe this is paralysis by analysis as Charlie would put it. Cause and effect is never that simple. Everyone collapses at the foot, at least to some degree.

What do you mean by “pre-loading” his legs? Do you mean he was jamming his heels back against the blocks because that’s what I’ve always advocated, but I’d be happy to change if that’s a bad idea.

And when you say he was tending to “shove out the back” can you describe what that looks like because I’m not sure what you mean. Do you mean he wasn’t getting his knee forward, not working through much hip ROM?

Sorry Nanny, I don’t mean to be difficult. Maybe you can post a video clip of him (before and after) some day…???

How do people keep the heels and entire foot flush with the blocks? It feels (and seems to be) incredibly awkward and slow to do so.

What do you mean by “pre-loading” his legs? Do you mean he was jamming his heels back against the blocks because that’s what I’ve always advocated, but I’d be happy to change if that’s a bad idea.

he was basically dropping his hips and loading up trying to power out of the blocks

And when you say he was tending to “shove out the back” can you describe what that looks like because I’m not sure what you mean. Do you mean he wasn’t getting his knee forward, not working through much hip ROM?

the action he was taught was all behind the body and have the arms long and straight.

and yes will be posting some video soon enough

OK, got it now. Dropping hips. In 87 I asked Ben when does he try to “lift” his hips. He said from step 3. (I was thinking he’d say something like, “when I reach top speed, or when I’m done accelerating” or maybe “pretty early, around 30metres”. Nope, third step! Damn he was so specifically powerful, like he also said in 87BEFORE racing the Olympic and world 100m titleholder Carl Lewis in the Rome world champs final: “When the gun go, the race be over” :eek:

I call that ‘winding up’ or ‘rocking back’. It’s deadly cause the first action after the gun will be moving farther back instead of forward. correcting that can make a big difference.

which is exactly how CF suggests it should be…like when a car backfires …you react and then go ‘what was that?’

Nanny thanks so much for sharing info re JR, it will be interesting to see how it progresses. :slight_smile:

I second that, thanks for sharing with us Nanny!:slight_smile:

Did Ross peak to early last year? Because he was running sensational times during the Aussie season, then drifted into consistent 10.3’s or there abouts during the pro circuit?? I’m just interested…

Cheers Nanny.

Look forward to seeing what happens this year.

not as much as i am :smiley:

and Superman

i have made it a point in all interviews so far not to criticise the work he previously did there were a few key points that needed some change.

hence one of the reasons he/we went for a short to long approach.

Found a couple of pix from 2006 of Asafa leading Josh Ross. Josh is wearing his skin in these pix:p But you can see some technical problems for Josh - pretty tight in the arms/shoulders

(don’t seem to be able to get the image to print, but it’s there on the link)

I have posted re this pic as it relates to Asafa in the Analyse This thread rather than get away from JR

http://www.charliefrancis.com/community/showthread.php?p=173807#post173807

Thankyou John. Could I impose on you to post the two Josh Ross pix in this thread so we can see without needing to go via link?

not a problem :slight_smile:

http://img108.imageshack.us/my.php?image=jr1nj0.jpg