Ross looks to bare bones

I wish, having same hassles :o

was asked by kit kat how the training is going in another thread will try and keep this as the active thread as long as i can.

as i mentioned in the powel visiting oz thread we have target times of 1.90 / 2.93ish / 3.85 FAT towards a goal of sub 6.60 and 10sec.

so far (2 weeks ago) under FAT in training he has gone through in 1.95 / 3.00 / 3.93…

And now media appearances. A couple of interesting heads on the 7:30 report (ABC TV) here in Sydney.

Transcripts and video here - http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/content/2007/s2110737.htm

great find bigmac

interested in CF’s thoughts on one quote saying 3 months away from home is not long enough.

Maybe Josh was having woman troubles?

I don’t know, I’m not sure that 3 months is really that long a time…

I guess it depends on factors such as experience with overseas travel, family etc…

I know an athlete wo toured Europe this year and she missed her family, house etc…

I would probably struggle away from home, friends and family after 6 weeks.

I hate to bring race into it and I certainly don’t mean this in a negative way, but it’s interesting to note that aborigional AFL footballers have often had big problems with homesickness when they have had to relocate interstate. I have no idea whether it is cultural as aborigionals tend to have very strong family ties, but it is certainly not unheard of. I also have no idea about josh’s personal life, but perhaps he is another victim of this phenomenon? :frowning:

whatever the case, I really hope he can get his head together and again find enjoyment in what he does best… :slight_smile:

then again Cathy Freeman always spent May to September away in the US and then Europe. She is Aboriginal too.

there’s no reason why every single aborigional would have the problem.

I’m just joining the dots and responding to the person who was incredulous that he could be homesick after 3 months…

Was it being away from home that was the problem- or away from weights for a year and the resultant strength crash after an initial period of freshness in the Aus season?

Josh still lifted with Emil once a week. His strength levels at home and overseas didn’t fluctuate. Two versions exist, one that Ross was to busy chasing girls and not training. The second that Ross felt tired and fatigued and skipped sessions while in Europe. Either way, he did miss vital track sessions which resulted in a loss of track strength before worlds.

My earliest memories of Ross are in the pro’s of a skinny aboriginal kid from small country town who would go to carnivals with coach/family always present. So there may be more creditability to the homesick theory. Additionally Ross current coaching set up had a lot to do with the fact that he wanted to stay close to home in Newcastle rather than stay in Sydney.

Not newcastle but the Central Coast… but the main fact was the change to short to long.

Speaking of the pro’s Josh will be have his first race back after world champs this weekend in a low key pro meet in Newcastle

I’ll see you guys out there then :D. Small low key meets are my specialties.

Return of Ross is Burnie bombshell
BURNIE CARNIVAL By TERRY MORRIS
The Examiner (Northern Tasmania)
19 December 2007

http://northerntasmania.yourguide.com.au/news/sport/sports/return-of-ross-is-burnie-bombshell/1147266.html

JOSHUA Ross has dropped a bombshell by wanting to run in the $12,750 Burnie Gift on New Years Day.

Ross, 26, is the only man to have won the Burnie Gift twice from scratch in the 120-year history of the race, and a third attempt was believed out of the question as he battled personal demons after failing in the world track and field championships.
But Ross contacted the Burnie Athletic Club a few days ago asking if it was too late for him to be included in the Gift field.

“I have been in touch with him on and off for the past few weeks, but then he telephoned and said he wanted to come to Burnie,” carnivals co-ordinator Leon Saltmarsh said.

Ross will run from scratch in the last of the five heats of the Bendigo Bank Burnie Gift on New Year’s Day, with handicapper David Downie forced to readjust the marks of all other Gift runners.

“We regard Joshua coming to Burnie as a real coup for us,” Saltmarsh said.

Ross is the only man to have won the Stawell Gift and Burnie Gift double from scratch, and Burnie will be able to boast the past three Stawell Gift winners in its field on January 1.

Ross will be joined by 2006 Stawell winner Adrian Mott and last year’s victor, Nathan Allen, from Queensland.

Burnie running manager Gerard Leary said it would be a talent-laden field in the Gift with other previous winners Craig Brown (2001), Darren Rogers (2002), Luke Whitney (2005) and Cameron Yorke (2006) also entered.

But the appearance of Ross is the crowning achievement for the Burnie Athletic Club, which was waiting till the last minute for a headline entry in its blue riband event.

Ross has established a wonderful association with Burnie, winning the race in 2004 and again this year, and in 2005 he was unluckily run out in his semi- final when beaten in a photo finish by Shaun Bailey after breaking at the start.

For the past five years Ross has been the quickest man in Australia but he had a disastrous world titles in Japan, where he admitted his focus had gone off running, and he later suffered bouts of depression.

“He’s moved back to Gosford to be with his mother, and we’re hoping that he will be in good shape for Burnie,” Saltmarsh said.

Bay Sheffield Heat Draw
28th December 2007

EVENT 21 3:20pm
HEAT 1 Name Handicap Placing Time
Red Burbridge Adam (VIC) 6.50 _________ _________
White Weir Lyall (SA) 7.50 _________ _________
Blue Gregor Ben (SA) 8.00 _________ _________
Yellow Eddy Matthew (VIC) 9.25 _________ _________
Green Karutz Jay (NSW) 10.50 _________ _________
Black Harrison Kane (SA) 11.00 _________ _________

EVENT 22 3:25pm
HEAT 2 Name Handicap Placing Time
Red Jakeman John (ACT) 6.25 _________ _________
White Woodhams Dale (SA) 7.00 _________ _________
Blue Letton Bradley (SA) 8.75 _________ _________
Yellow Fox Nathan (VIC) 9.00 _________ _________
Green Garnett Ryan (SA) 10.50 _________ _________
Black McCarthur Shanan (SA) 11.00 _________ _________

EVENT 23 3:30pm
HEAT 3 Name Handicap Placing Time
Red Titcombe Jarret (NSW) 6.25 _________ _________
White Saliu Alex (SA) 7.50 _________ _________
Blue Sampieri Nick (VIC) 8.25 _________ _________
Yellow Ballard Robert (NSW) 9.00 _________ _________
Green Hodge Steven (SA) 10.00 _________ _________
Black Graham Steven (SA) 11.00 _________ _________

EVENT 24 3:35pm
HEAT 4 Name Handicap Placing Time
Red Tuohy Chris (VIC) 6.25 _________ _________
White Steinhauser Daniel (NSW) 7.00 _________ _________
Blue Long-Scafidi Wallace (SA) 8.50 _________ _________
Yellow Versace Luke (VIC) 9.00 _________ _________
Green Nitschke Ross (SA) 10.50 _________ _________
Black Dartnall Jarrad (SA) 11.00 _________ _________

EVENT 25 3:40pm
HEAT 5 Name Handicap Placing Time
Red Macfarlane Iain (NSW) 6.25 _________ _________
White Rose David (SA) 7.25 _________ _________
Blue West Joshua (QLD) 8.50 _________ _________
Yellow Yorke Cameron (WA) 9.00 _________ _________
Green Daddow Stuart (SA) 10.25 _________ _________
Black Palmer David (SA) 11.00 _________ _________

EVENT 26 3:45pm
HEAT 6 Name Handicap Placing Time
Red Bubner Alexander (SA) 6.25 _________ _________
White Brittain Kevin (VIC) 6.75 _________ _________
Blue Doyle Gerald (SA) 8.00 _________ _________
Yellow Dudkiewicz Peter (VIC) 9.50 _________ _________
Green Hicks Dylan (SA) 10.00 _________ _________
Black Hancock Tyson (SA) 11.00 _________ _________

EVENT 27 3:50pm
HEAT 7 Name Handicap Placing Time
Red Mace Scott (VIC) 5.75 _________ _________
White Jervis-Bardy Jake (SA) 7.25 _________ _________
Blue Scott Russell (SA) 8.25 _________ _________
Yellow Nissen Anthony (SA) 9.50 _________ _________
Green Ross Glenn (WA) 10.50 _________ _________
Black Beck Andrew (SA) 11.00 _________ _________

EVENT 28 3:55pm
HEAT 8 Name Handicap Placing Time
Red Landers Stephen (SA) 5.75 _________ _________
White Jamieson Sam (VIC) 7.25 _________ _________
Blue Nitschke Michael (SA) 8.50 _________ _________
Yellow Moss Daniel (SA) 9.50 _________ _________
Green Tohl Damian (SA) 10.50 _________ _________
Black Foley Craig (VIC) 11.00 _________ _________

EVENT 29 4:00pm
HEAT 9 Name Handicap Placing Time
Red Nielsen Kieren (QLD) 5.25 _________ _________
White Youlden Clint (VIC) 7.50 _________ _________
Blue Giatrakos Sam (SA) 8.00 _________ _________
Yellow Gross David (SA) 10.00 _________ _________
Green Muhlhan Andrew (VIC) 10.50 _________ _________
Black Ryder Shaun (SA) 11.00 _________ _________

EVENT 30 4:05pm
HEAT 10 Name Handicap Placing Time
Red Bateman Todd (SA) 4.50 _________ _________
White Muzelenga Arthur (NSW) 6.50 _________ _________
Blue Rossouw Ryan (SA) 8.00 _________ _________
Yellow Antenucci Michael (SA) 9.00 _________ _________
Green Harrison Aaron (SA) 11.00 _________ _________
Black Whittaker Darren (VIC) 11.00 _________ _________

EVENT 31 4:10pm
HEAT 11 Name Handicap Placing Time
Red Watkins Clay (SA) 4.25 _________ _________
White Steele Andrew (SA) 7.00 _________ _________
Blue Tinney David (VIC) 8.50 _________ _________
Yellow Peters Brad (QLD) 10.00 _________ _________
Green Wilcox Andrew (VIC) 10.00 _________ _________

EVENT 32 4:15pm
HEAT 12 Name Handicap Placing Time
Red MacInnis Luke (SA) 4.00 _________ _________
White James Robbie (SA) 7.00 _________ _________
Blue Pilkington Matthew (NSW) 7.75 _________ _________
Yellow Hancock Ryan (SA) 10.25 _________ _________
Green Beames Peter (VIC) 10.75 _________ _________
Black Burckhardt Chris (SA) 10.50 _________ _________

EVENT 33 4:20pm
HEAT 13 Name Handicap Placing Time
Red Scott Thomas (NSW) 3.75 _________ _________
White Tippins Duncan (SA) 6.75 _________ _________
Blue Tancredi Paul (VIC) 8.00 _________ _________
Yellow Jakeman Michael (ACT) 9.00 _________ _________
Green Millard Daniel (SA) 10.75 _________ _________

EVENT 34 4:25pm
HEAT 14 Name Handicap Placing Time
Red Sheehy Keith (SA) 2.75 _________ _________
White Whitaker Casey (SA) 7.50 _________ _________
Blue Crighton Simon (WA) 8.50 _________ _________
Yellow Hooper Ryan (SA) 8.75 _________ _________
Green Ezard Shane (NT) 10.25 _________ _________

EVENT 35 4:30pm
HEAT 15 Name Handicap Placing Time
Red Ross Joshua (NSW) Scr _________ _________
White Koschade Ben (SA) 7.75 _________ _________
Blue Tiu Josh (VIC) 8.25 _________ _________
Yellow Jose Matthew (SA) 9.75 _________ _________
Green Burckhardt Leon (SA) 10.75 _________

Here’s a run down of Heat 15, that I sent via email to Nanny yesterday.

White - Ben Koschade is a former state junior champion from the sam era as Mark Ormrod & Keith Sheehy and was capable of beating both of them. In 1999 he could run around 10.82 and 21.8 but then pursued footy for a while before getting back into athletics on the pro circuit 5 years later in 2004. In 2005 he ran 12.16 off 8.00m to be narrowly beaten in his semi by Dave Flowers He has a constant battle with hamstrings and has struggled to run a decent 120m this season. On Sunday at Plympton he only ran the 400m and did not go very hard. Hard to see him running well on exposed form but has the ability to cause some problems.

Blue - Josh Tiu (Vic) is a teenager who won he Under age race at Stawell last year. No Gift form of note, probably a high 11’s 100m runner and I suspect will be concentrating on other events.

Yellow - Matthew Jose is a handy runner in the Under 20’s but has no open Gift form and has no hope in this heat. Like Tiu is a high 11’s runner.

Green - Leon Burckhardt was 3rd last year off 11.00m but is not quite in the same form this year. He was 5th in the final at Mt Gambier and 6th in the final at the Colley Reserve Pre-Bay meet last week. He didn’t run on Sunday at Plympton. He was in Josh Ross’s Stawell Gift semi final off 11.00m in 2005 and Josh beat him by 2m before winning the Stawell Gift off scratch… Leon wasn’t running well at the time and was much better last year at the Bay. He is in my squad and at this stage the best he can hope for is a 2nd run. I have a few better chances in other heats.

Who makes it through depends if Koschade is fit and runs. On what I have seen so far, I am not sure if Koschade will run. He is the best handicapped runner in the heat by a mile, but that aint any good if you have injury worries.

So it effectively becomes a 3 way battle between Josh, Koschade and Burckhardt.

BURNIE GIFT HEAT DRAW
1st JANUARY 2008

120m MEN’s GIFT
Heat 1.
Colour Athlete Metres
Red Darren Rogers 6.75
White Matthew Stewart 9
Blue Mark Nichols 9.75
Yellow Nick Butler 11
Green Nick McKenna 12
Pink Trevor Andersen 12
Black James Whiteroad 12

Heat 2.
Colour Athlete Metres
Red Craig Brown 5.75
White Andrew Howell 9
Blue Cameron Yorke 9.5
Yellow Andrew Hay 11
Green Clint Gadsden 11.5
Pink Maverick Weller 12
Black Brendan Smart 12

Heat 3.
Colour Athlete Metres
Red Adrian Mott 4.75
White Mark Highnett 8
Blue Liam Shepherd 9.5
Yellow Scott Bailey 10
Green Daniel Sammut 11.25
Pink Ken Telfer 12
Black Tim Potter 12

Heat 4.
Colour Athlete Metres
Red Nathan Allen 3
White Brice Johnson 8
Blue Dan Lemoto 9.5
Yellow Matthew Callard 9.75
Green Andrew Wilcox 11
Pink Joel Morrison 11.5
Black Ryan O’Halloran 12

Heat 5.
Colour Athlete Metres
Red Joshua Ross Scr
White Duncan Tippins 6.75
Blue Luke Whitney 9
Yellow Matthew Hargreaves 9.75
Green Clinton Brown 11
Pink Ben Englund 12
Black Torin Philpott 12

To be placed
Thomas Pfundt 10.25

Josh has drawn the “group of death” with 3 genuine potential finalists in Tippins, Whitney & Hargreaves. It’s the toughest of the 5 heats. Josh would effectively have to be in 10.1 shape to get through this heat. Don’t be surprised if the 2008 Burnie Gift winner comes from the last heat.

Whitney run 11.15ish over a 100m on the weekend. Can’t remember exact time as results have not been released yet.

I agree DMA.

Luke Whitney looks well in, particularly after running 12.40 off 6.50m at Devonport recently. He ran 12.2 off 6.00m at Devonport in December 2006.

The 2.50m lift has to put him close to breaking 12s at Burnie if the conditions are anything like last year.

I don’t like this at all. I’d start with 60m and move up later