Recovery between sets

Roughly how long does everybody recover for between sets?
I’m finding it difficult to get a balance between full recovery and not spending all day in the gym.

I believe i use about 2-3 minutes however i do not time it with a watch… do any of you actually time your rest?

Originally posted by QUIKAZHELL
I believe i use about 2-3 minutes however i do not time it with a watch… do any of you actually time your rest?

Yes I have a stopwatch with me - I am exacting with my training, because you can periodise rest intervals/training density as well :slight_smile:

i hear ya… and i agree… i just wasnt sure if anyone acutally timed rest intervals or looked at the clock or got water and figured they were recovered before the next set…
how about anyone else?

usually 3-5 minutes

depends on the reps and intensity -

for me

singles and doubles with speed type weights - 1 to 2mins, over 85% 3-5mins

all triples and above 3- 4mins

One pop song, two if I buggered! N.B. only works if your gym plays top 40 style music.

What affect would there be if there was too much rest in between sets?

Originally posted by bLiNk_mE
What affect would there be if there was too much rest in between sets?

You could get cold and lose your warm up.

And waste precious time!

I time my rest intervals, and use a Timex Ironman watch (countdown feature).

I agree with CoolcolJ and his protocols.

Speed training: for full recovery I use approximately 90sec for every 10m sprinted.

For speed training, I will rest 5-7 min between sets. In the weight room, when i’m doing doubles or triples I will rest 3-5 minutes. It is extremely important to not only let your body recover between sets, but to also prepare yourself mentally for the next set. When you step to the line or bench, you should be mentally prepared to be a demon:devil: and go all out.

In the gym I time 5min. rest for my primary lifts (squats, cleans, bench), then 3 or 4min. for secondary lifts (lunges, shoulder press etc.) Abs only get 1min. rest.

It depends on the Exercise(amount of muscle used), number of reps, and intensity.

You aren’t going to need as much rest for a hard set of bicep curls as a hard set of full squats.
You aren’t going to need as much rest for a hard double as a hard 5 or 6 rep set in the same exercise.
You aren’t going to need as much rest for a set of 3 at 85% 3RM as a set of 3 at 97% 3RM in the same exercise.

I use 2-5 minutes depending on those factors.

I have no powers of bilocation I am aware of, don’t have a clue whats going on!

I do time my recoveries bit not rigidly so. Depending on Intensity 3 - 5 mins.

I’m getting an echo Gf!
:smiley:

How are you logged on twice man?
You got bilocation?
???

Agree with CCJ

Density is a rather weak variable in my experience (especially with low reps) but can be manipulated to alter training stimulus, e.g. ‘cluster’ training. Westside are big on using short recoveries to increase acute GH & T response but I’m not sure I agree entirely…

See High tension training - Chris T (Dr Squat article page)

In the gym what do you do during your rest: Sit there till next set, look at the ladies on the treadmils, watch a TV if it is there, stretch, walk around… etc.

Stretch or spot.

[Btw - Brilliant qoute :clap: ]