Quarter squats

I’ve must say, I’ve never been a fan of quarter squats, but, looking at this vidcap of the man of the moment, I can see that if they are done this way, they will be of great benefit for max speed development.

and some sequence shots

Interesting. Where and when would this type of exercise be implemented into the training program? What other exercises would this be done in conjunction with? Also what is the mat underneath the heels for?

Where do you get this information on Pat and his training???

What do you mean by ‘this way’ Dcw? With mainly knee flexion rather than hipflexion and/or explosively or something else?

it looks like hes doing some type of calf raise too doesnt it?

Pat is exploding the weight upwards, almost as if he’s jumping. I’d assume that this would help teach full extension under great forces which would aid in development of top speed. Perhaps someone more qualified could answer this though?

My take on this movement is that it will help keep the hips high. Great eccentric and reactive strength exercise, plus good vertical force production, right through the whole leg including the lower leg.

The platform under the heel will shift emphasis onto the VM which will help limit collapse at speed via eccentric strength reserve.

Its really not that dissimilar to depth jumps. Except, without the shin impact concerns, from which, incidently PJ has suffered in the past.

I have included the .mpg of it because the speed of execution cannot be seen too well with the GIF.

Where do you get this information on Pat and his training???
My secret spy camera :wink: Somehow, Foxtel managed to steal the footage and broadcast it nationally this week.

I saw the video of Pat quarter squatting on World Sports a couple of nights ago. Speed is high, but he only has a total of 180kg on his back. Most sprinters of his bodyweight could easily full squat that weight with decent speed.

I looked up partial squatting in the weightlifting encyclopedia, and Drechsler recommends that quarter-squats should be done quickly with submaximum weights, with the torso as vertical as possible. If they are done nearer maximum they are much more likely to injure the athlete because of the extra strain on the front of the knee. He himself injured his knee and has seen many others injure the knee from quarter squats.

Therefore imo his form is good, and they are probably useful, depending on the volume of them he is doing. I don’t know why he wants his heels raised though, and the weight might be a little too heavy as he isn’t reversing the weight very fast.

I think I remember from one of my athletics books that colin jackson used up to 240kg on his quarter squats, but I don’t know how fast he performed them usually.

Raising the heels increases patellofemoral stress which could potentially be deleterious as load increases.

THis is one sure fire way to damage the patella tendon and possibly the lumbar spine as he ‘receives’ the bar. I think this movement range is trained much more effectively (specifically!) and safely through the (power) jerk… Also remember gentlemen the quads have a relatively minor role in sprinting beyond 20 metres.

P.S Jackson box squatted (no pause) to just above parrallel (240 max is approx. correct)

AND its only 180K

Originally posted by David W
THis is one sure fire way to damage the patella tendon and possibly the lumbar spine as he ‘receives’ the bar. I think this movement range is trained much more effectively (specifically!) and safely through the (power) jerk… Also remember gentlemen the quads have a relatively minor role in sprinting beyond 20 metres.

P.S Jackson box squatted (no pause) to just above parrallel (240 max is approx. correct)

Damn straight!! I was cringing watching the vid!!! :o

He doesnt start the movement with his hips at all just the knees. I think a program with full squats with squat jumps, powercleans/snatch and alternatives would be a LOT safer!

It surely depends on the intensity and volume if partial squatting is to be injurious or not, or effective. The fastest 100m runner and the fastest ever 110hurdler have used partial squatting successfully, so I don’t think it can be contraindicated for everyone.

I don’t think Pat even includes below parallel squats in his program. His main leg exercises are the quarter squat, hip flexion/extension machine, step ups onto a low box for speed and the leg press!

guys, you assume a lot from one video…Pat has squatted a lot more than this in the past, 240kg was the figures I have down from 1998, I know that they had some problems with the lower back so the session became squats up to about 200kg then leg press to about 400kg all explosive as possible (so there’s the explanation for the leg press)
Its all used as a stimulus for the speed thrength exercises that follow,…squat jumps, CMJ ect.
as for the hip machine stuff its to compensate in some way for the lower volume on the track (His lower legs won’t take much volume)
So its individualised to a large degree…works for Pat.

Originally posted by Neospeed
I don’t think Pat even includes below parallel squats in his program. His main leg exercises are the quarter squat, hip flexion/extension machine, step ups onto a low box for speed and the leg press!

Oh, hold on, now I remember. You’re that guy telling everyone that Pat has a crap coach. :smiley:

Don’t forget, Pat is not a weightlifter, he is a sprinter and seems to be doing a good job at sprinting fast.

Weighlifting and sprinting are very different sports and no medals are achieved in sprinting for lifting heavy weights.

Looks like a partial behind the neck jerk.

Or Jerk heave from behind the neck :slight_smile:

I dunno jump squats would be a better option.

No DCW, I’m not that guy telling everyone that Pat has a crap coach. I have said previously that I think Pat is achieving in spite of his program, not because of it. Of course I realize that sprinters are not Weightlifters, however, as a sprint coach yourself, and avid reader of this forum, you must be aware that quarter squats in the manner that Pat performs them and leg presses are potentially deleterious and not commensurable with other exercises that can be done in the weight room. Weight room exercises aside, Pat’s programming in the past such as lifting heavy both the morning of and the night before a maximum speed work on the track, is not optimal, you must concede. Perhaps an alteration of this element is responsible for Pat’s injury free run.