Quarter squats

Does anyone know what kind of running Pat does?

neospeed, you seem to be an expert on Pat’s training…did you once train with him, do you have experience doing this program or know someone who has?
Perhaps you could give us an example of how the track and weights are layed out and how this could be improved. Would be very interested in your comments.

PS
Lots of big words on the last post…pulled out the dictionary just to get through it.

Jacko, I am not an expert on Pat’s training, however, I am privy to what he was doing from '97-2000. I’m not sure how Esa formulates his program now. Much of the gym work that he was doing previously doesn’t seem to have changed, although you’re correct that he used to quarter squat 240kg before injuring his back. His quarter squats were reduced in weight with a greater focus on speed of execution. More attention was also placed on the hip machine and the leg press. According to Esa, he uses the leg press instead of the below parallel squat to “protect the back”.
Esa’s track work has similarities with Carlo Vitori’s high volume speed work eg 3 sets of 5x60m at 95% with short rest between both reps and sets. Of course, this isn’t the only type of work he does on the track. I have in excess of 20 pages detailing Pat’s track and gym workouts from '97-2000, including his exact training splits. Maybe I should start a new thread outlining some of Pat’s training during this period. Remember that, I don’t know what type of work he is doing on the track now, nor for the last 2 1/2 years. This part of his training, as well as splits, may well have changed. There’s no denying that whatever they have done over the last year is working!

SYDNEY (May 11, 2003 8:59 a.m. EDT) - Australian Patrick Johnson believes he now possesses the respect of the world’s best sprinters after pushing world record holder Tim Montgomery desperately close in Japan on Saturday.

The 31-year-old Australian arrived home on Sunday and said he derived more satisfaction from pushing Montgomery to a close-run thing in Osaka than he did from his breakthrough sub-10 second run in a low-key race in Mito, Japan, last week.

Johnson clocked the fastest time by an Australian of 9.93 seconds for the 100 meters in Japan on May 5 and is now looking to improve on his season-leading time ahead of the world championships in Paris in August.

Just 100th of a second separated Montgomery and second-placed Johnson, who led until the final few meters of Saturday’s dash to clock 10.05 in the IAAF grand prix event.

“He (Montgomery) acknowledged I’m a competitor and knows that there’s bigger things coming up and he respected me for pushing him that hard,” Johnson said.

Johnson said he was looking forward to running against more top sprinters when he headed to Europe, where he would have at least 10 more 100 and 200m races before the world championships.

And he saw plenty of room for improvement.

“That’s going to be enjoyable because I will be in better shape by the time I get to Europe, so it will be a great challenge and I think the rest of the world and some of the guys know that I’m in shape, so it’s not going to be a walk in the park,” Johnson said.

Asked about becoming the only person to break 10 seconds this year, Johnson said: "It was nice, but I know everyone is going to come out and try to beat it, so I want to do one better and raise the benchmark a little bit higher.

“It’s going to be harder, but I’d like to do it at the right time when all the best are in shape.”

Johnson felt he was capable of running faster because he was still in heavy training and had not done much explosive work.

Esa and I both spoke at the same symposium last fall.

He spoke to a training week using many short sessions, doubling up most days.

Mon AM Short Strength PM Starts and Accel. work
Tues PM Speed
Wed AM Rest (warmup and stretch) PM Strength work
Thurs Accelerations and some starts
Fri AM speed sets similar to Tues PM rest
Sat Strength in early afternoon
Sun “ALWAYS REST”

Did touch on a progression from the Russian’s mid 70’s theory of Short Alactic Work, to Vittori’s training theory from the late 70’s in the area of Alactic Speed Endurance.

He works on a slow progression curve in deference to La to get steady gains in fitness, walking the line between maintaining the CNS while taxing the metabolic system. Likes the last rep to be the best as much as possible.

“Too fast too early requires an extended recovery time to get back in balance”

Maybe I should start a new thread outlining some of Pat’s training during this period

could you start the thread, I’m very interested in his training. thanks alot man :slight_smile:

I don’t have the time to start a separate thread detailing all of Pat’s workouts from 1997-2000. Coach Mdd got his training split right.
I’ll give you an example week of Pat’s training in preparation for the international season in 2000. This week is fairly typical of the type of training he was doing during this period.

MON: am - abdominals, lots of stretching
Maximum strength session - back extensions 2x15, 1/4 squats 10x80kg 8x140kg 6x180kg 4x200kg 3x220kg
hamstring curls 3x10 reps
pm - knee lifts and butt kicks over 30m
knee lift and rip 2x40m
sprint bounding 3x60m
Accelerations 3x80m
Standing starts 2x20m 1x30m
Block Starts 1x30m 1x40m
Flying speed 2x3x30m @95% rest 4mins between reps and 8mins between sets
In and outs 2x60m with 20m segments

TUES : am abs & stretching
Warm up 10mins stationary bike
Med ball throws
pm warm up, stretching
strides in flats 5x60m
knee lifts and butt kicks over 30m
Knee lift and rip 3x60m
Sprint bounding 3x80m
2x3x150m @90%

WED : pm Maximum strength
back extensions 2x15
1/4 squats 10x 80kg 8x140kg 6x160kg 4x180kg 3x200kg
Counter movement jumps 2x10x20kg
Reverse leg extension 4x8
Step up trials onto low box
4x30 hip flexions and hip extensions on hip machine
Bench pull 4x10 with 50kg
Bench press up to 105kg
Chin ups 4x10 fast
Various abdominal exercises

THURS : am Warm up, stretching, strides
2x3 sprint bounding over 60m
Accelerations 4x60m
Standing starts 2x20m 3x30m
Flying starts 6x30m with 30m run in
pm Stationary bike 5mins
back extensions 2x15
Hip machine 2x25 flexion and extensions with moderate resistance

FRI : am track session warm up, stretching
knee lifts and butt kicks over 30m
Sprint bounding 3x50m
Accelerations 4x60m
1x80m @95%rest 5mins
1x100m @95% rest 8min
2x120m @95% rest 10mins

SAT : Strength session
Back extensions 2x15
1/4 squats up to 3x2x230kg
Counter movement jumps 3x6
Hip machine 3x15 flexions and extension
Hamstring curls 4x10
Leg press 8x300kg 6x350kg 4x400kg 3x450kg
Dips 4x15
Bench pull 3x20 with 15kg dumbbell
abdominals
Med ball side to side 3x30

SUN : off

thanks for posting that!:smiley:

How does PJ do all of that work? damn!

mondays work especially is insane,
when the hell does this guy recover? only on sundays?

The only time he rests is on Sundays and when injured. He knows all about injuries!!

He must have a great massage therapist and access to all kinds of regenerative therapys!! that workload is insanity!
Chris

He gets as many massage and physio treatments as he wants. He’s based at The Australian Institute of Sport

i heard he gets 10-12 hours a sleep each night too