purchasing EMS units

Mortac8, you are raising a good point. I guess it all depends on what a training augmentation result is worth to the individual athlete. If more comfortable stimulation means being able to reach higher current levels, than you have reaped the benefit. As you pointed out, many people are not able to take it, so a more comfortable stimulation may be more indicated for them. Athletes who can take higher punishment may be able to go even higher in stimulation level.

More sophisticated device like Compex an Globus, are more comfortable because they have a current generator; this is a more expensive piece of electronics in the guts of the machine. A current generator is able to measure the impedance of the muscle and instantly regulate the voltage to keep the current at the same level. Instead less expensive units have only a voltage generator, which means they stimulate at constant voltage, and if the impedance (resistance) of the muscle decreases, the current goes up, changing the stimulation’s sensation and its effect (comfort level).

It’s true that 25 years ago Charlie got the results we all know about with units that were not as sophisticated. But he didn’t have wrist-watch heart monitors, nor portable VO2 measurement devices either, and now many coaches and athletes use them.

I don’t think that constant pulsing like the less expensive units achieves the same recovery results as an active recovery program, which modulates the frequency (i.e. it changes it continuously). The recent 2008 studies that proved the effectiveness of EMS active recovery used exactly the program I’m describing. The less expensive Globus Premium Fitness, provides active recovery at $599.

whats your opinion of the less expensive and more basic globus elite 2

That depends where you are located (it’s not FDA certified for the USA). It’s a 2-channel unit with a selection of programs, but I’m not intimate with it. I think it has 15 programs available for each sex, including active recovery. It’s not as powerful as the Premium models (100 mA vs 120 mA); the pulsewidth is not as long (400 vs 450 microseconds); it doesn’t have rechargeable batteries; it’s not menu driven, therefore less intuitive than the Premium (i.e. you need to carry the manual with you to know what your selection number corresponds to, in terms of program). All the above parameters are anyway greater than the corresponding ones of the 4000R.

That’s what I thought, I can remember the few programe numbers I will require so that’s not a prob. It meets the requirements fairly well along with some user programmable bits too. I got it today lol

Oh, I see you are in England.

Yeah lol I seen a few units but I don’t wanna pay import tax and as I’m not too sure on ems I don’t wanna spend too much at the moment

I am in the UK, and have recently bought the Globus Elite 4.
There are UK suppliers.
J

Yeah I got mine from hab direct pretty much Same machine but a bit better and more channelf but I’m no rush lol

Just bought the Globus elite 2 aswell… thought it was the right unit for a novice and as I’m mostly using it primarily in max strength cycles a la CFTS…
although the capillarisation setting looks interesting. I’d be interested to hear Charlie’s views on using this setting along with tempo and LI days…

I’ll be getting a Globus shortly and I’ll look at all the options.

Which one you getting Charlie?

It’s called Premium Sport I believe.

Yeah I was looking at them all appears to be a top of the range unit. Will you be using on any athletes or just to review

I’ll be doing both

Any update on your findings Charlie? Or am I too early lol

I’ve used it on myself a few times so far and the current form is very comfortable and it’s pretty cool to operate with the graphics. I had a pile of projects to get through so I am just getting to the point I can write a review after trying it out on a few more people

Thanks Charlie, just feel it benificial to have your opinion knowing your input and use over the years. Lol still use on yourself?

Charlie I hope you’re gonna crank it up! I have a Compex Sport ems machine. How would you prescribe the 10r contractions on a machine that has a max strength setting of 6secs contraction with a 22 sec rest period?

Actually, the Globus programs, during the off interval have a pulsating twitch at 3 Hz (not sure if the Compex has it), which increases blood flow and allows muscles to replenish their energy stores faster. This in turn postpones fatigue. I suspect it allows to shorten Charlie’s suggested 5x rest interval.

Charlie’s Globus Premium Sport has also an additional program identical to his protocol 10 sec on, 10 sec off x 10. His machine (code named SportCoach) has the capability to tweak all parameters. It would be possible to experiment and find a shortened optimum, given the improved off period at 3 Hz.

Hi Gciriani the Compex Sport 500 too has low hertz pulse during the rest interval…so what you are saying is because of this pulsing action this shortens the CF prescribed 50sec?